Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Anger Over X-Men Posters Showing Jennifer Lawrence Being Strangled

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/anger-ov...080717888.html

A storm is brewing over billboard posters promoting ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ in the US which show Jennifer Lawrence’s character being strangled.

The huge ads feature the strapline 'Only The Strong Will Survive’, and show Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Mystique.

Actress Rose McGowan is among those who have torn into the studio, sharing a post on her Facebook page which has slammed 20th Century Fox for using the image, declaring 'f**k this s**t’.

User Kelly Morgen appealed for others to share her post too, which reads: “I recently passed two billboards for the new X-Men: Apocalypse movie along 880-N, and IT WAS NOT OKAY.

“I felt angry, uncomfortable, and shocked to see a frightened woman being choked by a man. Given this freeway usually sports anti-domestic violence billboards, it was jarringly out of place. If this billboard bothers you, regardless of your gender, please repost and share this. The producers show know this sort of marketing is profoundly NOT OKAY.”

McGowan has since spoken the The Hollywood Reporter, calling the decision to use the image 'offensive and, frankly, stupid’.

“There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film,” she said.

“There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid.

“The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous.

“So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?“

She went on to say: “I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

Meanwhile New York blog EV Grieve has also posted a picture of one of the posters, which has been defaced with the message 'This violence in my kid’s face is not okay’.

X-Men expert and writer Jay Edidin added to THR: “It’s gratuitous, it’s offensive in completely useless ways. Offensive isn’t always necessarily bad, but this is offensive in ways that serve absolutely no purpose, and while it does depict a scene from the actual film, it’s also a terrible representation of the movie as a whole.”

Many have also taken to Twitter to voice their bafflement.

Heres the link to the article if you want to see the twitter msgs

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/anger-ov...080717888.html

Sorry I don't post often but I love reading these forums multiple times a day and I'm sad to see Genn didn't post this topic so I'll do it for him.

DISCUSS!

Personally many comments said it best this is a non issue and people need to get over themselves. Too much time on their hands to constantly find offense with stupid shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC crowd gets bent out of shape over nothing, again, news at 11.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, people who rustle their jimmies over shit like this could use some heavy slapping in their face.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

pretty sure Ms. Lawrence feels the same way about being strangled into doing those shite movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a load of bollocks.

Not fucking everything is about putting women down, sometimes there are like, movies with not real bits in them and shit.

And had he choked a man, no one would even bat an eye :P.
    The irony is so overwhelming, I could iron my shirts for an eternity!

Quote Originally Posted by smiteme12 View Post
    “There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film,” she said.
    Lol at all the quotes. Because it's all subjective to being above other people. Of course they don't realize there are other posters where the "privileged white male" is getting shot by another. It's come to a point where if there's not going just the name on the poster someone will be offended. If the movie has someone who gets choked in it, who cares if it's a woman, they are getting choked. People need to stop taking it so personal like it's a hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    I would have been so triggered.
    Actually I am triggered that he is choking a woman over a man at this point.

I doubt that little girl actually said that... sad that people have to use their children and lie about them to push their cultish ideas.

She went on to say: “I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

If you aren't a fan of the movies and have no idea what the billboard is trying to convey as part of the story, then you obviously aren't its target audience.

'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’
    Because hes the BAD GUY and villains do BAD THINGS. Its not a portrayal of the pope or of the boyfriend of a single mom. At least as far as I know Apocalypse is not Mystique's baby daddy.

Deleted
    So... Uhh.

The poster would be fine if it was a man being strangled?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Apocalypse is not Mystique's baby daddy.
    Spoiler alert!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the movies are meh sooooooooo

10+ Year Old Account
    Very vocal minority. As a feminist herself, I am sure J-Law wouldn't have agreed to the ad if she thought it had anything to do with violence against women. Total stretch.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some PC people having problems. Hopefully nothing will change because of this.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I doubt that little girl actually said that... sad that people have to use their children and lie about them to push their cultish ideas.
    yeah that is exactly what i thought.

Would it be a problem if apocalypse was gay? I'm not sure they've thought out the implications that he's not choking just a woman since she can shapeshift and often takes the form of a man... So the poster must be transphobic too or non binary w/e /S

I loved the quote from the 9 year old, Apocalypse is a "monster man" but Mystique despite being the same color and scaley is a "woman". That kid has a future in crying about safe space violation and carrying around her checklist of what to find offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Actually in the movie a woman had also slit his throat sooooo it's ok for a woman to slit his throat, but not ok for him to choke her? I mean it's a movie about people fighting...
    Last edited by purebalance; 2016-06-03 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    I laughed at that too. No nine year old speaks like that. The sentence is half talk and half college SJW speak.

Plus who the fuck has a "deep conversation" with a nine year old?
    When I was nine I don't recall having those thoughts at all. I knew violence was fake in media... or maybe McGowan made that up...