Poll: Would you still work if you you were given $2000-$2500/m from the government?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    But that's the point? There's 100's other people with no skills as yourself (the applicant, not YOU specifically) that WILL do the job, you know the one that you yourself says requires no skill, so why should I, for some reason, pay you more than the minimum?
    Because you are demanding an education to qualify to your job. Thus, you have zero excuses to pay me, or someone else what you would have to pay to uneducated and non skilled. None, except abusing the situation.

I'm educated, and if you want to hire me, you need to pay what is the minimum for me. It is higher than to person who never even heard of the field. Considerably. Or you hire someone without education, which no one does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Alright, let's change the discussion. As soon as all the no-skill workers are without available jobs, what kind of feasable* solutions are out there?

It will start slowly enough, burger flippers, fry tenders, cashiers etc losing their jobs to robots but being $21 trillion in debt, CLEARLY all this new money needs to come from somewhere. I admit, I used to think everyman for themselves when it comes to their abilities (flipping burgers versus computer programming, etc) but the sad reality is that something WILL have to be done as not everyone has the mental capability to learn the skilled jobs.

*Feasable is NOT simply taxing those with skilled jobs even more money to offset the insane amount of money required to give welfare to all those whose jobs are replaced with robots.

Deleted
    depends entirely on the cost of living where i am. can i live comfortably on that amount? then yes i wouldn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Because you are demanding an education to qualify to your job. Thus, you have zero excuses to pay me, or someone else what you would have to pay to uneducated and non skilled. None, except abusing the situation.
    Wait, maybe this is where we're disconnecting. Are you referring to "uneducated and non skilled" as someone who dropped out from grade-school? I simply wouldn't hire someone who doesn't at least have a high school diploma.

If you are NOT talking about that, can you give me an example of what job is demading an education better than what EVERYONE (everyone being the 100's of other people willing to work minimum wage for the no-skill job) can get and not paying more than minimum wage?

---

Again though, let's change the discussion. As soon as all the no-skill workers are without available jobs, what kind of feasable* solutions are out there?

It will start slowly enough, burger flippers, fry tenders, cashiers etc losing their jobs to robots but being $21 trillion in debt, CLEARLY all this new money needs to come from somewhere. I admit, I used to think everyman for themselves when it comes to their abilities (flipping burgers versus computer programming, etc) but the sad reality is that something WILL have to be done as not everyone has the mental capability to learn the skilled jobs.

*Feasable is NOT simply taxing those with skilled jobs even more money to offset the insane amount of money required to give welfare to all those whose jobs are replaced with robots.

That's a strange poll. It wouldn't be the same sum in every country. In Finland for example there's no way in hell it would be that large.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That's a strange poll. It wouldn't be the same sum in every country. In Finland for example there's no way in hell it would be that large.
    Yea, that is pretty much the biggest flaw when discussing money on a global forum. :P Hence why I ditched the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Given that professors get averagely $200k/y at my university - hell yes I would.
    What university would that be?

2k a month?!?!? Thats WAY more than basic in my area. You can pay rent, internet, your bills and food off of 10 bucks an hour full time in my area.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Wait, maybe this is where we're disconnecting. Are you referring to "uneducated and non skilled" as someone who dropped out from grade-school? I simply wouldn't hire someone who doesn't at least have a high school diploma.

If you are NOT talking about that, can you give me an example of what job is demading an education better than what EVERYONE (everyone being the 100's of other people willing to work minimum wage for the no-skill job) can get and not paying more than minimum wage?
    Yes. Someone who has no education in the field you would supposedly be hiring into. There is a different minimum wage for that person, and me the educated one. How are employers abusing this? They are giving that unskilled wage to educated people, as I mentioned, because they simply can, having enough applicants in line. It's abuse, and not even legal. And seeing how many times I've had to accept the crap excuses just to have a job, I have perfectly valid reason to rant about that abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a LOT more money than I make right now working 40 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    2k a month?!?!? Thats WAY more than basic in my area. You can pay rent, internet, your bills and food off of 10 bucks an hour full time in my area.
    That's the whole thing, people on this very forum seem to think they should be given (it will be more of a discussion when robots do start replacing the no-skill laborers) almost all, if not all, expenses outside of luxury expenses for doing nothing.

While their execution of discussion is terrible, it almost WILL have to happen in some form with the whole robotics thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    You wouldn't include kids, first.

Next, would we still continue Social Security, for example?
    ok so a quick google puts the percentage of people under 21 at about 27%. which is still ~$6,570B/year or more than double the entire yearly revenue of the Fed Gov right now. Still not hearing where you're going to come up with all this money.

In a heartbeat. Live in the woods smoking weed and eating mushroom and enjoying life for once.

Bring it!

I'd still work, though I'd consider reduced hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    What university would that be?
    University of Notre Dame.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Well, that would be far more than I was making in my previous job(currently unemployed). But as I live in NY, specifically Long Island, you wouldnt even be able to afford an empty lot on that.

That's the whole thing, people on this very forum seem to think they should be given (it will be more of a discussion when robots do start replacing the no-skill laborers) almost all, if not all, expenses outside of luxury expenses for doing nothing.

While their execution of discussion is terrible, it almost WILL have to happen in some form with the whole robotics thing.
    But isn't 2-2.5K "luxury"? That's a salary basically. Why would basic income be so high? If you're going to be hypothetical maybe adjust the numbers to be a bit more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Yes. Someone who has no education in the field you would supposedly be hiring into. There is a different minimum wage for that person, and me the educated one. How are employers abusing this? They are giving that unskilled wage to educated people, as I mentioned, because they simply can, having enough applicants in line. It's abuse, and not even legal. And seeing how many times I've had to accept the crap excuses just to have a job, I have perfectly valid reason to rant about that abuse.
    So, I'm still a little confused on what you're saying.

1.) My kid just graduated high-school, and only has an education that everyone else has.
    2.) You have a, presumably, college education.

You both apply for Chief Fry Tender or Cashier (no-skill job) at McD's. You think, for some reason, one of you should be paid more than another?

$2,000 alone would put me in a fairly comfortable place (it's a little more than I make now), but I would still work so I can afford nicer things, take better care of myself, travel a bit, etc.

I would still work but I would get a different job in something that I enjoy instead of having to do a job I hate for the paycheck.