Poll: Would you donate money to nasa

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Not too shabby, but alas the money I donate won't be going to space related things when it can go to help people/animals here and now. I see it far more likely that we'd end up with an Elysium situation than the salvation of mankind with the colonization idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepresident View Post
    do you know how much it consted to go to the moon
    its around 150 billio$ in today s money
    the large hadron colider only costed 10 billion $
    $150 billion is not a lot of money spread out over a decade.

The ISS has cost about $150 billion over 30 years

The Mars Mission, all said and done, will cost about $200 billion over 30 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You donate to it every year when you pay taxes.
    I had no idea taxation was donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Not too shabby, but alas the money I donate won't be going to space related things when it can go to help people/animals here and now. I see it far more likely that we'd end up with an Elysium situation than the salvation of mankind with the colonization idea.
    So I assume you don't use anything on that list.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

At this point, no. I'm all for space exploration but NASA seems set on a manned mission to Mars. There are much better things that they could be focusing on that would cost less and advance science further. For example, one of their justifications for sending a manned mission is that there are things that a manned expedition can do that an unmanned mission can't - we should be focused on creating unmanned probes that CAN do those things. 90% of the cost/resources of a manned mission are purely to deal with the fact that it's manned (mostly for life support and a return trip). And there's no political reason for it like there was during the Apollo missions.

No, I wouldn't. Why? Because I don't want to, that's why.
    If I donate money, it's to help animals or victims of a disaster. I highly doubt mankind will ever colonize other planets, and focus should be on sorting shit out on the planet we already have.
    Americans will be colonizing other planets. Europe will tag along.

The rest of the world? Eh... I rather doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    At this point, no. I'm all for space exploration but NASA seems set on a manned mission to Mars. There are much better things that they could be focusing on that would cost less and advance science further. For example, one of their justifications for sending a manned mission is that there are things that a manned expedition can do that an unmanned mission can't - we should be focused on creating unmanned probes that CAN do those things. 90% of the cost/resources of a manned mission are purely to deal with the fact that it's manned (mostly for life support and a return trip). And there's no political reason for it like there was during the Apollo missions.
    Putting a human crew on another planet is the first step in the direction of colonization.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

So I assume you don't use anything on that list.
    I'm sure I do, and I also have use of plenty of things that came through advances made without space travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Americans will be colonizing other planets. Europe will tag along.

The rest of the world? Eh... I rather doubt it.
    Rich Americans, rich Europeans. The rest? I rather doubt it.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The sad thing is that NASA is already able to actually turn a profit...just the rest of the government takes the money instead of leaving it for more research.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

I'm sure I do, and I also have use of plenty of things that came through advances made without space travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Rich Americans, rich Europeans. The rest? I rather doubt it.
    No. The US Government + Private Industry in a public-private partnership, just like most of the Space Program up to this point.

Mars will need contractors who build infrastructure, not billionaire tourists.

Want to make some money quick? Make a robot that can autonomously efficiently and economically process Mars-analog soil into something very much like concrete. Mars will need lots of those. It'll be more construction site than vacation home for many, many years.

Deleted
    No, I would not. I occasionally donate to other organisations, that's enough for me.

Putting a human crew on another planet is the first step in the direction of colonization.
    Actually, I'd argue that finding a suitable planet to colonize is the first step. We've already been to the moon, and there's a reason we've never spent the money to go back in 40 years.
    Last edited by chipwood; 2016-06-05 at 11:02 PM.

Deleted
    If I were to donate, yes, it would be a good chance they would get some of it as at least I could make sure it all goes directly to them instead of ending up in some overpaid charity CEOs pocket.

Actually, I'd argue that finding a suitable planet to colonize is the first step.
    Mars is as suitable as we'll find in the Solar System.

The other options are too barren or too far.

Orbital ATK is a pretty crap company that is the anti-SpaceX.

While SpaceX slowly and methodically pioneered new technologies, and built its space program from the rocket up, litterally, Orbital (pre-ATK buyout) has been plundering government rocket technology wherever it could find it. It bought a bunch of decomissioned Peacekeeper MX ICBMs and turned them into the Minotaur IV. It bought a bunch of Russian Nk-33 engines from the Russians in the 1990s (which were part of the Soviet Lunar program), refirbished them, gave it a new name, and mounted it on a rocket it called "Antares". It plunder patent after patent. It's merger with ATK, this country's chief Solid Rocket Engine manufactuer, is again, about plundering taxpayer-paid for tech.

SpaceX has earned it. They've earned everything they've acheived which is why they have the most advanced space launch program in the world, by far, at the moment. It will be at least a decade before anyone (except maybe BlueOrigin) lands like they do.

Orbital is a scavenger. It is an old school Space company, but it's tendencies represent the absolute worst in the early 2000s Space Rush where a bunch of new space companies (including SpaceX) popped up, and most leveraged their ambitions on plundering retired government designs and hardware. Even Sierra Nevada did this: the Dreamchaser is the NASA HL-20, a Space Station Freedom-era design, made real.

SpaceX simply did it legitimately and these others didn't, and as such, have had a harder time. SpaceX took an abandoned NASA/DoD/Northrop design for a rocket, for landing and for an engine (namely the TR-106/TR-107 as part of the Space Launch Initiative), hired away all the people who worked on it, and built it little by little.
    Of course, the point I was making is they all get government funding anyways through subsidies and government contracts. So why would anyone donate to Nasa when we already pay for it and contribute a large sum of money to these other companies through taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I'd argue that finding a suitable planet to colonize is the first step.
    Well technically we could put people just about anywhere gravity won't crush them.

Just a matter of the long term implications and costs of doing that. By long term implications I mean shit like the effects on human bodies and what not... Like if money was no object we could build a base on the moon tomorrow and put a lot of people up there, but if those people lived there for like ten years or something they probably couldn't live on Earth again... And we can't just let them die if ten years from now we didn't want to pay for it anymore and that kind of shit...

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Well technically we could put people just about anywhere gravity won't crush them.

Just a matter of the long term implications and costs of doing that. By long term implications I mean shit like the effects on human bodies and what not... Like if money was no object we could build a base on the moon tomorrow and put a lot of people up there, but if those people lived there for like ten years or something they probably couldn't live on Earth again... And we can't just let them die if ten years from now we didn't want to pay for it anymore and that kind of shit...
    Half the complexity of any Mars mission is the trip back. After the first two trips, missions should be long duration, or even one way. Think 5000 days on Mars, rather than 500.

If we're going to go to Mars, we should be going there to live, not to visit, after the first expedition or so.

Mars is as suitable as we'll find in the Solar System.

The other options are too barren or too far.
    Exactly my point - and Mars is too barren and too far too. Even the moon is better since it "only" takes a few days to get there.

- - - Updated - - -

If we're going to go to Mars, we should be going there to live, not to visit, after the first expedition or so.
    And a LOT more unmanned missions before we even think about doing that. There is SO much more exploration that can be done with unmanned probes, especially if we push the AI technology.

I already donate to NASA; it's called taxes.

Deleted
    dude are you stupid why would i pay 50 times more to live on Mars where is worse than Earth?