Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Question All Time Favorite Dungeons?

I stumbled into the Well of Souls yesterday, the Cata-era instance, a dungeon I had almost forgotten about. It was timely (with Legion coming up) to go back and be there as Illidan, Malfurion, and Tyrande faced down Mannoroth. The lore of the dungeon itself was pretty cool, as we were sent back in time to snatch the Dragon Soul and deliver it to the Dragon Shrine in Northrend.

That series of dungeons came out late in Cataclysm. They played pretty fast and were a welcome respite for many after much more challenging instances earlier in the xpac. They weren't very memorable from a game-play perspective, but they were well done as lore and story telling. I think most of us enjoyed them.

I also loved the Zul dungeons that came out in the patch before. Zul Aman and Zul Gurub both felt very challenging at the time. Wipes were common, but the fights were fun and the troll bosses were great villains. I played through those again recently to farm transmog for my troll hunter and was reminded of all the good times had.

Perhaps my all time favorite was the one that scared players so bad that half of them left group during the loading screen: Halls of Reflection. So many epic finishes as we raced to down waves of undead before the Lich King caught us! (and make no mistake - at level 80 he was walking death).

We probably can't judge the instances we're still tired of; I think we'll need to distance ourselves for a couple of years to have that overall perspective.

What are your all-time favorite 5-mans?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-06-30 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The Nexus and Trial of the Champion, plus I always loved Uldaman a lot while leveling

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanila: Gnomeregan --- it was quite fun and challage
    Tbc: The Black Morass --- i liked it, since it prevented people from afking all the time
    Wraith: The Nexus
    Cata: The Stonecore (because no1 likes that gnome)
    Mists: Gate of the Setting Sun
    Lollords: none
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    The Oculus, Deadmines, Halls of Lightning

Old Scarlet Monastey was my favorite

Deleted
    Original Scholomance. Dark, grim and a school that was basically a fucking huge mansion with many paths.

I love the Icecrown Citadel dungeons. Will be my all-time favorites until Legion changes my mind. The Burning Crusade Heroics are a close second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic: Scartlet monestary library& armory
    TBC: Shadowlabs and Shattered Halls
    WOTLK: Utgarde Pinnacle
    Cataclysm: Black rock caverns
    MoP: Mogu'shan Palace
    WoD: Iron docks i guess, i havent really done many dungeons this Xpac
    Last edited by Twistedelmo; 2016-06-09 at 01:25 PM.

Classic: Scholomance, the original one. I always had a sense of dread going there.
    TBC: Sethekk Halls, because it had the Raven Lord in it. Don't like TBC stuff overall apart from Karazhan.
    WOTLK: Halls of Reflection. Not mechanically, but for the story and being close to the Lich King
    Cataclysm: As much as I hated that they removed ZG/ZA raids for dungeons, I loved those dungeons. I also enjoy Lost city of the Tol'vir a lot.
    MoP: Gate of the Setting Sun
    WoD: None, all dungeons have felt meh. Shadowmoon Burial grounds if I had to choose.

That one from Cata that starts off with everyone dying to ignoring the first boss' one shot mechanic.

What I really like though are the Vanilla style big expansive dungeons with somewhat self-contained stories and multiple wings. I recognise that they don't work in a world where dungeons are run through dungeon finder and everyone just wants to smash them out as fast as possible, but they were a really good experience.

Classic: Maraudon, I guess
    TBC: Magisters Terrace
    Wrath: Forge of Souls
    Cataclysm: Vortex Pinnacle
    MoP/WoD - none really.

Largely for the visuals/atmosphere in all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    I have many many dungeons I really enjoy. Esp. visually.

But I have to say - the two dungeons I enjoy the most visually are the Utgarde-Dungeons. Esp. the Pinnacle. Vikings, Undead and huge interior-design (the whole place looks huge on the inside) - I fucking love it.

And yes, I may even have wet myself when I saw the Halls of Valor in the Legion Preview. Just maybe.

Blackrock depths. Anyone not picking this MASTERpiece of a dungeon, in my humble opinion, have no clue on what makes an immersive and truly impressive dungeon expirience.

There was nothing before, and nothing since, that dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Blackrock depths. Anyone not picking this MASTERpiece of a dungeon, in my humble opinion, have no clue on what makes an immersive and truly impressive dungeon expirience.

That was more of a mini-raid, than a dungeon.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quoted for truth.

Thing is, I only came to really appreciate the dungeon when solo farming shards there with my raid geared rogue at the end of classic. The time it was relevant content pugging that place was a nightmare, and guild runs never happened because we raiders had to farm our asses off for consumables. But stealthing around that magnificent masterpiece and killing some of the bosses was a joy. Fucking inn keeper had a dagger that never dropped tho :-)

In BC I went there again with a hunter and farmed The Gladiator set.

My all time favorite dungeon is probably Blackrock Depths. I was in that dungeon A LOT while levling my very first character in TBC trying to farm gear and in search of the next big weapon upgrade. More often than not I was also tanking the place in ret spec with the beautiful combo of the zul farrak totem mace and the scarlet crusade shield.
    Took a lot of time, wipes and group member switches, but the whole area was just great. Huge underground city with lava, monsters, golems, dwarves and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

UBRS from Vanilla :-)

Deleted
    Vanilla: original 5-man Scholomance by far, followed by Stratholme (both wings), and Zul Farrak; also original Scarlet Monastery, Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines.
    BC: Magister's Terrace (with my frost mage), Shattered Halls, Mechanar and Botanica (but to some degree I liked all BC dungeons, even if some were a bit harder)
    Wrath: especially all ICC dungeons, but kinda liked all of them, even Oculus
    Cata: End Time dungeons, ZA and ZG revamps, also Vortex Pinnacle Lost City of Tol'Vir and Halls of Origination
    MoP: Temple of the Jade Serpent and the Stormstout Brewery

This x100.
    Only thing that was on that level was Karazhan, but it was a raid.