Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Yeah...I'm wondering where all of these people are getting 400 million when I keep seeing the budget listed in the 160 million dollar range. Unless people are trying to say they spent 240 million dollars in advertising? lol
    In all fairness, it WAS 400 million before the stat squish.

/rimshot

Quote Originally Posted by Karenai View Post
    I bet it has nothing to do with all the addons most countries get, like 1 months sub, main game and all expansions, like in France. Or T-Mobile giving away free film tickets to every customer.
    Question is who pays for that. Did Blizz play different other companies off each other to make them pay for it, or is Blizzard giving that stuff away. They could be making more money from franchising it, like Lucas did with the films that shall not be named, than from the tickets alone.

Chinese ticket sales are also only valued up to 25% of all other ticket sales, because the chinese law forbids any foreign company to get more then 25% of the revenue. So 100 million in china is like 25 million in the US, at best.

The film will make a profit, like "Genisys" did, but not a huge one, overall, at least not for the studio. It will cement their foothold in China though, so that is good for them.
    1 month subs and giving DIGITAL codes for the copy of the game logistically cost no one anything besides the promo papers they are printed on. Giving away free accounts and month subs just gets people to try out their game and see the movie, you can argue server load costs but blizzard has plenty of low pop servers they pay for, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post
    It's just a rehash of Orcs vs. Humans. How good could it really be?
    I was at the red carpet premier. It's actually a great film for Warcraft fans. You're right, the timeline limits it dramatically, but it's still a fun watch. I can't wait for sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggletard View Post
    The movie does not, at any point, imply that Garona is half human. She basically states, "I am no orc and I am no human." She does say that she learned human language from prisoners. She does say that she is of half orc, but does not specify the other half. There is also the little tidbit about how Human males would not be able to handle female orcs... so there is that too.
    Just to add, in almost every interview that involves Garona they say half-orc/human.

And another thing to add to this movies success: Since I've started playing, which was May of 2010, I've wanted to see a Warcraft movie. 6 years ago, a LOT of people wanted to see that movie too. Even though the game may have fell off in popularity since then, I'll bet my ass and yours that most of those people that have left the game haven't forgot about their desire to see a Warcraft film. Blizzards cinematics are top of the line, and leave you CRAVING a movie. There is going to be an enormous amount of people that are going to show up for this movie. Even if they only watch it once, I'm not worried about there being a 2nd movie, there will definitely be a sequel/2nd story to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    I literally JUST got back from seeing it, and it was fucking awesome, Duncan kept his promises, it stayed true to the game and showed it from both sides. Absolutely awesome movie.
    Eh, there were a few pretty huge retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Just to add, in almost every interview that involves Garona they say half-orc/human.
    They can say whatever the hell they want.
    The movie they created implies she is half orc and half draenei.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    And who cares? They already almost broke even. I bet they will in a day or two and then it's pure profit.

Also comparing Warcraft to X-Men... yeah right. It's like comparing some shit noname school movie made by kindergartners to frikkin' Titanic.
    LOL

You have no idea about movies.

It's pathetic that it took more than a week to gain over $100 million. And it's projected that it'll flop in the US as well.

This movie will never make profit, it needs much more than it's filming budget to break even.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    I really want the third war and scourge.
    Exactly the same. I'd also love a full LK trilogy
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I enjoyed the movie a lot, the cgi was great, action wonderful and music perfect. Story was fine, what you expect from orc v humans. Had nods for fan that didn't pull away from what was going on, and you could feel the love they put into trying to honour the game they love and make a good opening movie. Left me wanting more

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This movie will never make profit

China says hello

It's already made back its filming budget. Soon we'll get another day of China data as well as better info on general release in the US.

This is definitely looking to be in sequel territory. It's beating expectations, which were right on the border of may or may not get a sequel.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    LOL

You have no idea about movies.

It's pathetic that it took more than a week to gain over $100 million. And it's projected that it'll flop in the US as well.

This movie will never make profit, it needs much more than it's filming budget to break even.
    Exactly. People thinking ticket sales vs disclosed budget=profit margins. Forgetting about marketing, theater cuts etc.

It'll bomb in the US because WoW isn't the obsession it is overseas. Foreign markets will not carry the film to a big enough profit for the studio to justify a sequel. It will need at least a couple hundred million in the US for a sequel to be considered and that ain't gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    China says hello

It's already made back its filming budget. Soon we'll get another day of China data as well as better info general release in the US.

This is definitely looking to be in sequel territory. It's beating expectations, which were right on the border of may or may not get a sequel.
    So what? Most likely it needs another $100 million in marketing, merchandising etc. to break even. And even then a $300-400 million movie with that budget is anything but a success.

US numbers seem to be very disappointing and I doubt it'll keep its international potency for more than <7 days.

Beating expectations? It got horrible reviews, is one of the worst reviewed movies of 2016 - I agree, it broke some records in quite meaningless markets (except China), but that's it. This movie is no blockbuster. And some US movie, that disappoints in the US, is not very likely to receive a sequel when it's that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    China says hello

It's already made back its filming budget. Soon we'll get another day of China data as well as better info on general release in the US.

Making back the filming budget isn't profit. Profit is after marketing, theater cuts etc. Also - didn't someone mention China only allows a certain % of ticket sales to foreign based film studios?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    $30 million "world"-wide compared to $80 million made by X-Men: Apocalypse in the U.S., both opening weekend... Um...
    30m worldwide was only open in at most 1/4th of markets. Its pretty much getting around 200-250m opening weekend if if you only count the first 3 days of all markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Making back the filming budget isn't profit. Profit is after marketing, theater cuts etc. Also - didn't someone mention China only allows a certain % of ticket sales to foreign based film studios?
    They get ~50% of ticket sales because Wanda group is Legendary's parent company. If Legendary was still independent it would be a lot lower

Better get some nice and juicy sequels baybay.

7+ Year Old Account
    Loved the movie. Such high energy! CGI was great too

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    $169 million is the production cost, which you usually have to double to break even on total costs before you take into account marketing and other costs associated with theatre release. The Warcraft marketing campaign was pretty large, so yeah, about $400 million.

Pretty obvious that you just pulled a number off of Google without actually understanding the cost of these things.
    You are pretty much just making shit up at this point, so your opinion can be ignored going further. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit5555 View Post
    You are pretty much just making shit up at this point, so your opinion can be ignored going further. thanks
    He's just proving a point. Huge movies tend to have a marketing budget that's as big as the filming budget.