Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I've been hearing about this stupid rape nonstop on social media, that I am hardly ever on, and I'm so fucking tired of hearing about it. Yes rape is horrible, the sentencing was light. But there are some horrible and I mean HORRIBLE cases of rape out there, on the rape continuum scale of horribleness this one definitely does not merit the social media fixation.

The guy made a horrible mistake. He was kicked out of Stanford, lost his spot on a competitive swim team and is going to prison. He will likely not be accepted to any competitive university in the future. This rape case will likely follow him around for the rest of his life.

Our justice system dictates that those who serve time in prison have paid for their crimes in full. Depicting this guy as the next Hitler in social media does no one any sort of justice. Once he has served his sentence, I hope the media fixation moves on.

As an aside, I feel like we should be able to talk about drinking culture on college campuses/discuss responsible drinking without people acting like you're being all victim blame-y. The rape was clearly not her fault, but maybe we should discourage college-aged drinking culture, where getting drunk to the point of blacking out is considered normal behavior.
    Finally, someone with sound logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been hearing about this stupid rape nonstop on social media, that I am hardly ever on, and I'm so fucking tired of hearing about it. Yes rape is horrible, the sentencing was light. But there are some horrible and I mean HORRIBLE cases of rape out there, on the rape continuum scale of horribleness this one definitely does not merit the social media fixation.

The guy made a horrible mistake. He was kicked out of Stanford, lost his spot on a competitive swim team and is going to prison. He will likely not be accepted to any competitive university in the future. This rape case will likely follow him around for the rest of his life.

Our justice system dictates that those who serve time in prison have paid for their crimes in full. Depicting this guy as the next Hitler in social media does no one any sort of justice. Once he has served his sentence, I hope the media fixation moves on.

As an aside, I feel like we should be able to talk about drinking culture on college campuses/discuss responsible drinking without people acting like you're being all victim blame-y. The rape was clearly not her fault, but maybe we should discourage college-aged drinking culture, where getting drunk to the point of blacking out is considered normal behavior.
    It was not a horrible mistake, it was an intentional crime.
    Its getting attention, because the sentence is very extraordinary. Its not unheard of for crimes like this to get lower sentences, but this is a bit more extreme.
    Drinking on campuses is an issue, but if of age its not illegal (school rules =/= actual law if your school is a dry campus). Underage is another issue all together. A consequence of it should not be rape. That is victim blaming. Thats like saying you deserved to have your Identity stolen because you shopped online.
    Just to add, people who sell weed or are caught with it get far harsher sentences.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2016-06-10 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    Why do people refer to him as a "kid" anyway. You'd think he's 5, but he's a grown fucking man who should take responsibilties for his actions, which in this case is penetration of an unconcious woman with things that I'm sure most gynaecologists wouldn't recommend. Instead it's "but he's good at swimming!" and I really can't stand how athletisism is an excuse to get you off the hook.

Sort of similar story from Norway: famous ski guy is drunk driving, with a friend in the passanger seat. They crash. Ski guy gets away while leaving his friend in the car. But no, can't punish him like we would a normal person because he's good at skiing. Disgusting

Because that's how privilage works.

Calling a 20 year old man a kid makes him more sympathetic like it goes something like this ''oh he is just a kid, he didn't know what his actions would do to others because of his age''. Thats why they also released his ''good'' photo's showing how nice he looks and and that it wasn't something he would do again, instead of his mug shot that looks like he is a crazy psychopath.

You create a narrative and a perception depending on how you write something.

But calling a 17 year actual kid a thug allows you to argue that he was a violent person that deserve any sort of punishment he got.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    the word "rape" means next to nothing
    it can be applied to small crimes

educate yourself please you can start by finding out what "affirmative consent" means in colleges these days

We get it. You don't think that penetrating and unconscious woman is a big deal.
    Sorry, but even though that's the only way YOU can have sex with someone, it's still sexual assault, rape, and not a "small crime"

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Because that's how privilage works.

Calling a 20 year old man a kid makes him more sympathetic like it goes something like this ''oh he is just a kid, he didn't know what his actions would do to others because of his age''. Thats why they also released his ''good'' photo's showing how nice he looks and and that it wasn't something he would do again, instead of his mug shot that looks like he is a crazy psychopath.

You create a narrative and a perception depending on how you write something.

But calling a 17 year actual kid a thug allows you to argue that he was a violent person that deserve any sort of punishment he got.
    Yeh, kind of what I thought. Language - both fun and sad at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Outraged, yes. 6 months is nothing for raping someone. Castrate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That's exactly why this is getting outrage on the media; because people like you are really only seeing his promising future now destroyed (somehow that's justice enough), rather than seeing the intentional (not a "horrible mistake") crime he committed. He was given a much more lenient sentence because of his background, which should bear no relevance to the crime he committed.

Oh, and btw, he may be only be serving a total of 3 months with good behavior.

You may be "tired" of hearing about this case, but let's not downplay what happened, solely because worse things have occurred to other people. That's ridiculous.
    It was weird reading that from someone who constantly complains about MMO-C being the woman-hating sexist cesspit of the Internet. I mean, she had a point about there being worse cases of rape and the discussion about binge drinking on campus, but the former is not particularly relevant to this particular case and the latter may be better discussed in different context/under different circumstances. Plus I'm not sure how she can act surprised, let alone "fucking tired of hearing" about this case being discussed, when she herself admitted that the sentencing was lenient and this is the main point of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Hopefully "Bubba" finds this guy while he is in jail.

Can we really trust the swedes, they have a very different culture than us

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Hopefully "Bubba" finds this guy while he is in jail.

Oh so you're pro rape then? I hope This bubba finds you and everyone in your family as well. Lucky guy this Bubba is.

He was given a much more lenient sentence because of his background, which should bear no relevance to the crime he committed.
    I would even use the reverse logic in these scenarios. His background is relevant and if anything it makes him more culpable. What reason does he have to not understand right from wrong? None. He was raised in an environment of safe affluence. Apparently too safe. If his background involved years of sexual abuse and foster homes or something, then I could see how his background might be relevant and he needs therapy more than prison (although he should get both regardless). But jesus. The argument of "this person has had every conceivable advantage in life but still committed a terrible crime, so we should give him even more advantages by not sentencing him appropriately!" is beyond stupid.

He didn't mistakenly seek this girl out.
    He didn't mistakenly force himself on her.
    He didn't mistakenly sexually assault her.
    He didn't mistakenly rape an unconscious woman.
    That is not relevant to my post. Clearly the act was rape and the sentence was lenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    It was weird reading that from someone who constantly complains about MMO-C being the woman-hating sexist cesspit of the Internet.
    It's less the woman-hating cesspit as it is a lot of individuals who are resentful towards women for some reason or another.

Clearly my post was less about the nature of the sentencing and more about social media's fixation with the case, although if we wanted to we could talk about cases where rapists likely got off scot free for their crimes, the Brock Turner case not being one of them.

so after 22 pages so i dont think ive got a clear answer

was he fucking her or fingering her? cause im sure it matters to the victim and it does affect my opinion. much like the fact this was not premeditated. if he was fucking her and was premeditated then i could see going for a very long prison sentence. also i heard something about bruises on her arms and what not? did this come from falling or from her fighting back? cause i dont get how an unconscious person fights back... sounds like bullshit to me.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2016-06-10 at 02:43 PM.

Was he also intoxicated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    so after 22 pages so i dont think ive got a clear answer

was he fucking her or fingering her? cause im sure it matters to the victim and it does affect my opinion. much like the fact this was not premeditated. if he was fucking her and was premeditated then i could see going for a very long prison sentence. also i heard something about bruises on her arms and what not? did this come from falling or from her fighting back? cause i dont get how an unconscious person fights back... sounds like bullshit to me.
    He was fingering her. Please explain to me why we should should care if he forcibly penetrated her with fingers, a penis, or an inanimate object? If you were ass-raped with a broomstick, would you find that less bad than being ass-raped with a penis? I wouldn't. I'm sure the legal definitions are different and unnecessarily specific, but at the end of the day, penetrating an unwilling person with whatever is rape. Premeditation is not a consideration in rape cases.

If you're curious about her injuries, that information is readily available, and as has already been stated, suggested either that she was "taken" into the alley, or that his raping was so vigorous that she sustained significant bruising and abrasions just from the things he did in the alley. Pretty damning either way.

I'm a little surprised no one is outraged that she was out and willfully cheating on her boyfriend (by her own admission, at the party), drinking to the point of blacking out, and her sister didn't keep track of her. She absolutely did not deserve to be assaulted, but she absolutely was irresponsible and could have prevented this incident.

As for the sentence, I mean, the guy was basically in the same situation as she was in terms of cognitive abilities, from what I've been able to tell, minus the fact that he was still conscious. He was probably near blackout drunk, and signals were mixed. However, I think the penalty should be much harsher - not because this guy is literallyhitler, but to discourage dumb young people from doing this in the first place.

Whole thing is just so damn depressing.

It's less the woman-hating cesspit as it is a lot of individuals who are resentful towards women for some reason or another.
    Tomato, Tomahto

Clearly my post was less about the nature of the sentencing and more about social media's fixation with the case, although if we wanted to we could talk about cases where rapists likely got off scot free for their crimes, the Brock Turner case not being one of them.
    Yeah, I got it. But I'm not sure what else you expect. Everything that lives for longer than a day on social media evolves either into second coming of sliced bread or second coming of Hitler and then festers until another sliced bread/Hitler arrives to take its place. Social media gotta social media.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-06-10 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    He was fingering her. Please explain to me why we should should care if he forcibly penetrated her with fingers, a penis, or an inanimate object? If you were ass-raped with a broomstick, would you find that less bad than being ass-raped with a penis? I wouldn't. I'm sure the legal definitions are different and unnecessarily specific, but at the end of the day, penetrating an unwilling person with whatever is rape. Premeditation is not a consideration in rape cases.

If you're curious about her injuries, that information is readily available, and as has already been stated, suggested either that she was "taken" into the alley, or that his raping was so vigorous that she sustained significant bruising and abrasions just from the things he did in the alley. Pretty damning either way.
    Was there physical evidence? Also was she hooking up with him before she passed out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Yeah, I got it. But I'm not sure what else you expect. Everything that lives for longer than a day on social media evolves either into second coming of sliced bread or second coming of Hitler and then festers until another sliced bread/Hitler arrives to take its place. Social media gotta social media.
    Yeah...social media fixation is a strange beast.

This is the first time I have seen social media so fixated on a rape case, though.

I still don't see where he was convicted of rape.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Can we really trust the swedes, they have a very different culture than us

- - - Updated - - -

Oh so you're pro rape then? I hope This bubba finds you and everyone in your family as well. Lucky guy this Bubba is.
    When it comes to trash like this guy is, I dont care what happens to him.