Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I buy this game?

So, I've been absolutely conflicted since the Open Beta. My current situation is this:

Pros:
    - I really liked the game when I played it during the Open beta: its fast, action-filled gameplay is energising for me, since I've been an RTS/MMORPG player up until now.

Cons:
    - I'm completely new to the genre. I've never ever played an FPS before and I'm well over 20.
    - Due to the above, I'm atrocious. My aim is absolutely terrible.
    - Being a competitive gamer, I understand that I'm really ineffective and in the end unable to offer anything to the team, every single second of my gameplay, and little by little it made me feel terrible in the long run.
    - Due to the above, me and my best gamer buddy (we play for years together, climbing ladders in LoL/HotS etc, BUT he was playing in tournament CoD teams since he was 12) came to the conclusion that we should not play together during the open beta mainly because I felt terribly being a burden during the game and wanting to practice by myself. We did go through practice together in custom games 1v1 though for hours (in which I completely sucked, like him killing me as Zennyata while I was Tracer, or as Mercy when I was Mccree etc, to not talk about when he was playing Genji... The score must have in total been something like 130 vs 5 in kills. We of course weren't going after objectives).
    - Despite that, other friends did play with me with absolutely no complaint and told me it was fine that I suck (I warned them that I'm atrocious) and that I will learn in the long run. It's not like my best buddy wouldn't play with me sometimes if I asked him, but it's more me not wanting to play with him because I absolutely suck.

TL;DR: Should I buy the game because I enjoy it and not care about being terrible and get better in time? I just want your views and opinions.

If its fun for you, buy it. Dont worry to much about your skill, it will get better. The game is mainly won by playing smart and having the right comp, instead of raw skill anyway.
    Once ranked is online, everyone will get well matched opponents. And you will be able to play with your friend in normal, where noone will care about tryharding anyway.

Seeing your mindset I'd be glad trading the average Random whos first to blame other but last to adjust for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I'm completely new to the genre. I've never ever played an FPS before and I'm well over 20.
    Two of my friends on our team are new or inexperienced with FPS games. It hasn't been a problem, we're not looking to climb ladders, just have a good time. We keep it low stress and it's been working.

Being a competitive gamer, I understand that I'm really ineffective and in the end unable to offer anything to the team, every single second of my gameplay, and little by little it made me feel terrible in the long run.
    Only way I see you enjoying this game is if you change your attitude. If you're constantly beating yourself up, have low self-esteem, and are self deprecating (like you've shown in this post), you're not going to be fun to play with. Nobody wants to play with someone who is pessimistic and defeatist. If you can turn your competitive spirit into a drive to learn and improve, you'd be well served and likely have fun.

If you won't be happy unless you're getting 360 no scope kills, and rocking the competition, then I'd look elsewhere.
    If you can come to terms that you're a novice, and have a good attitude towards self-improvement, then absolutely.

What I suggest is joining a gaming clan and play with them. They'll have the patience with new players and you'll have fun while learning.
    The first thing I did after I played in the beta was look for a clan. I'm now in a competitive team and it's tons of fun.

So yes! Buy it.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Quote Originally Posted by Reyvah View Post
    Only way I see you enjoying this game is if you change your attitude. If you're constantly beating yourself up, have low self-esteem, and are self deprecating (like you've shown in this post), you're not going to be fun to play with. Nobody wants to play with someone who is pessimistic and defeatist. If you can turn your competitive spirit into a drive to learn and improve, you'd be well served and likely have fun.

If you won't be happy unless you're getting 360 no scope kills, and rocking the competition, then I'd look elsewhere.
    If you can come to terms that you're a novice, and have a good attitude towards self-improvement, then absolutely.
    That's an insightful comment, thank you!

It was really that. I constantly beat myself up emotionally for being terrible, and constantly underrated my progress, that's true. It's not that I don't try to constantly improve though. I just suffer while doing it.

Also, playing with another friend made me enjoy the game, because he really didn't care that I was atrocious (or at least I thought so). Cheering when one of us would get PotG and stuff... I guess that by what you said, it's a yes from you too, thank you!

Will I be able to at least be decent though? With lots of practice?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    If its fun for you, buy it. Dont worry to much about your skill, it will get better. The game is mainly won by playing smart and having the right comp, instead of raw skill anyway.
    Once ranked is online, everyone will get well matched opponents. And you will be able to play with your friend in normal, where noone will care about tryharding anyway.

Seeing your mindset I'd be glad trading the average Random whos first to blame other but last to adjust for you.
    Thank you! I wasn't planning on playing ranked anyway until I was beginning to understand that I'm actually very competent material. And thank you again. I'm generally a very team-oriented player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Topcraft View Post
    What I suggest is joining a gaming clan and play with them. They'll have the patience with new players and you'll have fun while learning.
    The first thing I did after I played in the beta was look for a clan. I'm now in a competitive team and it's tons of fun.

So yes! Buy it.
    Thank you! The clan part sounds like a very good idea. I wonder who would take in a complete newbie though.

Deleted
    Overwatch is cattering towards moba players more than fps ones. last time i played a fps was cs 1.6 in 2007 and yet i enjoy OW.
    You dont need to be good at aiming, ofc while there are snipers and good aiming is a good thing, it doesnt matter, you can shoot rockets and do splash damage, you can be a tank and forget about aiming, you can be a builder, and so on.
    Its a competitive game, you will lose alot of games, try not to let you down, switch heroes based on your team's need and you'll do fine.
    Also have fun.

My real problem is just aiming, honestly. I have no problem with understand the metagame, counterpicks and how the game works in general. I just... have never done anything like this before, that's the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say try out TF2 first. It's free and basically the same kind of game.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Will I be able to at least be decent though? With lots of practice?
    If you keep a good mindset, of course. There's no magic to it, just practice and muscle memory.
    I'd stress that it's important to keep a positive outlook while practicing.

As an example, if I ever try to draw something and get frustrated, it just gets more difficult to draw well. My lines get shaky and I become more critical and negative. It's easy to get to the point where you crumple up the paper and give up. Don't fall into a trap like this!

Thank you! The clan part sounds like a very good idea. I wonder who would take in a complete newbie though.
    Game's just out, everyone's a newbie!
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    Overwatch is cattering towards moba players more than fps ones. last time i played a fps was cs 1.6 in 2007 and yet i enjoy OW.
    You dont need to be good at aiming, ofc while there are snipers and good aiming is a good thing, it doesnt matter, you can shoot rockets and do splash damage, you can be a tank and forget about aiming, you can be a builder, and so on.
    Its a competitive game, you will lose alot of games, try not to let you down, switch heroes based on your team's need and you'll do fine.
    Also have fun.
    It's just...

I really want to get good at aiming. It's the thing I want to do before easily swapping to supports (I generally play healers in all of my games, or mages) or tanks to fit the current team goal and just win a match. I really didn't/don't care about win or loss until I get some basic aiming level targets out of the way. Because, in the long run, if I can't aim, I can't play anything else other than heroes that don't need aiming or don't use it that much (like mercy, lucio or reinhardt, etc).

Deleted
    It's just...

I really want to get good at aiming. It's the thing I want to do before easily swapping to supports (I generally play healers in all of my games, or mages) or tanks to fit the current team goal and just win a match. I really didn't/don't care about win or loss until I get some basic aiming level targets out of the way. Because, in the long run, if I can't aim, I can't play anything else other than heroes that don't need aiming or don't use it that much (like mercy, lucio or reinhardt, etc).
    It gets better, i started with around 30% aiming. 40 hours into the game and im at around 40%. also theres a mode in which you can practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyvah View Post
    If you keep a good mindset, of course. There's no magic to it, just practice and muscle memory.
    I'd stress that it's important to keep a positive outlook while practicing.

As an example, if I ever try to draw something and get frustrated, it just gets more difficult to draw well. My lines get shaky and I become more critical and negative. It's easy to get to the point where you crumple up the paper and give up. Don't fall into a trap like this!
    Yes, I was noticing that as well. Is the fact that I was trying to play Hanzo perhaps a reason? In the last days of the open beta, I was noticing actual and very noticable improvement in my gameplay, like finally being constantly on the move to reposition and actively noticing and finding spots to shoot from and my aim getting better as well. In the open beta, my friend told me to play Tracer instead to at least try to hit things in melee range as he put it, because I would miss him from half a meter sometimes as Mcree in practice... (yes /ashamed). Like, he literally said "kill me so I can swap hero without going back" and he started coming towards me without shooting me... I didn't hit him until after he literally hugged me. I was devastated emotionally from my aim before that, and I don't even want to describe how bad I felt after that.

Just keep happily shooting then?

Just keep happily shooting then?
    Yup, and work a bit on the self-esteem haha.
    Everyone was a novice once - nothing to be ashamed of.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry too much about the aiming. Most of my characters that aim have about 30% accuracy and I have yet to increase that, probably because I tend to just shoot everywhere all the time like a maniac hoping I hit something.

This was my first FPS and Soldier 76 was a great choice for me to spend many hours on to get used to aiming a bit. At mid and long range his aim is pretty good even if you are normally horrible at it.

My two most played characters are Symmetra (short range beam weapon but it aims itself) and D.Va, who can basically spray bullets in all directions, tickle a lot of stuff, and get many eliminations because of it.

I've been playing Zarya a lot lately and if someone is near you all you need to do is spin to where they are and cut them with the laser, your aim doesn't have to be super wonderful to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the aiming. Most of my characters that aim have about 30% accuracy and I have yet to increase that, probably because I tend to just shoot everywhere all the time like a maniac hoping I hit something.

This was my first FPS and Soldier 76 was a great choice for me to spend many hours on to get used to aiming a bit. At mid and long range his aim is pretty good even if you are normally horrible at it.

My two most played characters are Symmetra (short range beam weapon but it aims itself) and D.Va, who can basically spray bullets in all directions, tickle a lot of stuff, and get many eliminations because of it.

I've been playing Zarya a lot lately and if someone is near you all you need to do is spin to where they are and cut them with the laser, your aim doesn't have to be super wonderful to be effective.
    Thank you! I appreciate the input!

I also want to toss out that not all heroes require "good aim". Junkrat is perfect for playing the area of denial game. I will lob nades all over the field just to keep the enemy scattered and having to move constantly or get jacked up by grenade spam. Finding weird places to set his trap and understanding how the landmine works is also super important.

Pharah is also another good hero to learn how to aim with, since she has splash damage, so you're still being super helpful even if you aren't hitting your shots dead on. Once you get better and learn to get her rockets dead on, you will be a nightmare.

Playing flankers like Reaper and Tracer is good too. Learn to use their escapes and mobility to get behind enemy lines. You relax a bit more when the enemy Mercy doesn't see you coming and you can wait to shoot her when you are right on top of her.

Tjorbjorn is another good character for newer folks too. Getting your turrets set up in good locations will help your team, and also helps to take some pressure off you when you are shooting his gun. Also, his alt fire is basically a freaking shotgun, so when they get close, well right click them to death.

15+ Year Old Account
    Prior to this the last fps (outside of the likes of elder scrolls, fallout, dead island)that I played was halo 3 or left4dead. That was early college yrs. So I was rusty.

I started playing with controller but I found that I could aim/move better with a mouse. So at first I alternated depending on who I was playing. Eventually I abandoned the controller and now I am full mouse/keys.

u ok OP, just play. All yuo're doing is growing muscle memory and adding matter to your brain. But u got to build it it wont grow on its own. Last year I went from 4 button mouse to MMO 12 button. Same thing... I had to learn to use 12 buttons without thinking. It was literally like learning to use a keyboard again. (#8gradecomputerlabstruggles)

Deleted
    If you have friends who more often than not playing at the same time as you and are willing to group up, sure. Otherwise don't bother.

Sure?

There are heroes that allow you to not need amazing aim. Reinhardt for instance is useful 99% of the time and requires more of an understanding about mechanics than the need to aim.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.