Thread: WTB Mouse

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WTB Mouse

Returning to World of Warcraft after a 2-year break, I have almost everything ready but the mouse. Thus I’m looking for directions about a new one that would fit well in a game like WoW.

Current Mouse

I used to play with the World of Warcraft Cataclysm MMO Gaming Mouse.

When I stopped WoW I switched from the above monster to a Razer DeathAdder.

The Cataclysm Gaming Mouse support is almost nonexistent with Windows 10, and my mouse has had a pretty intense life anyway, plus it was a bit too big. However the button layout was really impressive.

The DeathAdder has an excellent size and the materials are great. It is probably the best mouse of its class I’ve tested so far. But having only 5 buttons is going to drive me mad for playing a MMO, esp. considering my old MMO mouse had 14 buttons (not that I need so many buttons, though).

Expectations

Ideally I would like the best of both worlds.

Here are the characteristics I would be interested in (an asterix means mandatory):
    - * Lots of buttons, say 8 or more (the more the merrier) —if any less I’d rather keep my DeathAdder— also buttons need to be programmable (e.g. I don’t care about buttons that increase/decrease the DPI)
    - * Average form factor, more or less like DeathAdder would be great, Cataclysm mouse was really too big
    - Not modular like the Mad Catz R.A.T. because it’s too fragile and squeaks a lot (tho it’s funny when a mouse squeaks..)
    - * Wired, because I don’t want to risk running out of a battery in the middle of a raiding night
    - No horizontal scroll, I mean from mouse wheel, it usually messes up the middle button click
    - Good materials would be nice (I’m sad that the Cataclysm mouse decals have worn out pretty quickly)
    - * Compatible with WoW, I have to be careful because I know some games don’t support very well buttons after the 5th one

I should mention price is not an issue unless you find me a thousand dollar baby.

Button layout analysis (TL;DR: I’d like to avoid mice with numpads)

I think the button layout of the Cataclysm Gaming Mouse is very well designed. For instance each of the 5 buttons on the left side has a calculated position and a distinctive shape. The shape has an immense value because your fingers instantly recognize the buttons thanks to the sense of touch. It’s virtually impossible to click the wrong button.

I am pointing this because the majority of MMO mice I see use some sort of numpad (and the list of mice goes on) but I feel like I would missclick many times. Not to mention some buttons are not easily accessible, especially buttons closer to your wrist. Overall I just have the feeling that they needed a lot of buttons so they took the easy answer: one pad to pack them all.

If you are playing WoW with a numpad-mounted mouse, would you say my concerns are exaggerated or well-founded?

Candidates (so far)

First of all, I still haven’t found the mouse of my dreams (otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this thread, obviously). Here are some of the candidates that caught my eye:

Corsair Sabre RGB - Probably the most well-rounded product according to my expectations. I wish buttons had a more distinctive shape, but I guess I could deal with it.

Razer Naga Hex - It uses a circular numpad which —unlike grid numpads— are less prone to missclick, but I feel like missclick is still possible. I don’t know how accessible are buttons 4-6, my guess is 5 is bad and the rest is OK. The global shape looks really weird, I don’t know if my hand would grab it for long hours without pain.

Logitech G300S - I like the overall specs of the mouse but I think buttons are not perfectly accessible. I think it is due to the fact that the mouse is ambidextrous. Usually I prefer right-handed mice because of this. Also the size may be too small.

Redragon Samsara - I am a bit skeptical about the angular shapes, it is nice to look at but maybe not nice to put your fingers on for a long period of time. I think the button layout interesting, probably one of the most original layouts I have seen.

I also find the Logitech G700S interesting, but I can’t seem to find a wired version, so this would be a no-go.

Are you using these mice, and if so what do you think of them?

Do you have other mice to suggest?

Also, I haven’t been able to confirm these mice work well with WoW (Hell, even official WoW mice have issues). Can you use all buttons in-game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

The buttons are distinctive, and it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core.
    I found it interesting because of the buttons. “Tunable” means to can mount/unmount parts of the mouse, right? Are the parts firmly fixed (not fragile, not squeaking, etc.)? Those angular shapes don’t harm the comfort?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennvina View Post
    I found it interesting because of the buttons. “Tunable” means to can mount/unmount parts of the mouse, right? Are the parts firmly fixed (not fragile, not squeaking, etc.)? Those angular shapes don’t harm the comfort?
    Tunable means it has weights in it with different slots where you can put them. You can put the weights all up front, all in back, just a couple in the middle... that sorta thing.

I'll place a second vote for the G502 Proteus Core. I got it after my Naga died, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's super comfortable, it's never squeaked, it's sturdy enough to have survived my 3 year old rampaging through the house and using it to smack her sister and attack the cats, plus it's survived multiple drops from 3-4 feet where it fell off a desk.

It's worth mentioning that I do not have large hands, but it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever touched. I've been in love from the time I opened the box and tried it out the first time.

You can just plug in the G700s. It's my mmo mouse and I have no issues with it beyond it not being the best fit for my hand.

The G502 is a great mouse but it might be a bit short on buttons for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    The G700s only has 2 more buttons. :P

Since the OP was concerned about the G700s being wireless, it's definitely worth mentioning that it comes with a cable that can be used to transform it into a wired mouse (data and all). It's also a solid option that tons of people have used and loved.

There's the MadCatz MMO TE mouse.

It's got a ton of buttons and they're far more distinctive than the Naga style ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-061-_-Product

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    Since the OP was concerned about the G700s being wireless, it's definitely worth mentioning that it comes with a cable that can be used to transform it into a wired mouse (data and all)
    Aw, I have browsed through so many products that I haven’t even seen this. That’s very useful info, thanks. Isn’t the mouse a bit too heavy? Last time I used a wireless mouse (about 15 years ago), the weight of the battery was quite significant.

On second thought, the G502 looks very promising. The G502 Proteus Core has been mentioned, but the Logitech website only shows the 502 Proteus Spectrum. May I assume the models are very similar?

The G502 has a horizontal scroll, but all horizontal scrolls I have tested tend to make the middle click crappy. Are you happy with how the middle click performs?

Also, has anyone tested the Corsair Sabre RGB? This is the product I’m most curious about in my former list of candidates.

7+ Year Old Account
    Aw, I have browsed through so many products that I haven’t even seen this. That’s very useful info, thanks. Isn’t the mouse a bit too heavy? Last time I used a wireless mouse (about 15 years ago), the weight of the battery was quite significant.
    Weight is a bit of a personal thing, so it's hard to say whether it's too heavy, but a battery will always add a little weight to it. You could run it wired without a battery in it, but you will have a light flashing at you the entire time unless something has changed with them (it's meant to be an indicator the battery isn't charging, but no battery = no charge).
    On second thought, the G502 looks very promising. The G502 Proteus Core has been mentioned, but the Logitech website only shows the 502 Proteus Spectrum. May I assume the models are very similar?
    The original Proteus Core was what was available when it first hit the market. You didn't have the option of changing the color of the glow (it was blue). The Spectrum is just the RGB update that replaced the original model.
    The G502 has a horizontal scroll, but all horizontal scrolls I have tested tend to make the middle click crappy. Are you happy with how the middle click performs?
    Like the weight, button clicks and whatnot can vary based on personal preference, but I've found mine to be quite sturdy. I've made use of the middle click in WoW, GW2, Wildstar, Overwatch, etc. without ever having any issues.

Also, has anyone tested the Corsair Sabre RGB? This is the product I’m most curious about in my former list of candidates.
    I've not tested it, so I won't be of any help on this one unless you needed a hand finding reviews.

the g700s is heavy and the cable it comes with is thick which can be annoying. You can run it without the battery of course(tunable mouse? >.>) and you can run a micro usb cable into it but it will not have the nice molding. I have my cable coiled like a pig tail and jammed under a speaker to alleviate the heavy cable issue, which also completely eliminates drag on them mouse pad too because the cable is so thick none of it touches the mouse mat.

95% sure the spectrum is just the RGB enabled version of the proteus core.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I’ve read in some reviews that the mouse wheel of G502 produces an annoying noise when scrolling the normal wheel (no noise with the “infinite” wheel). Thoughts?

7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't annoy me, but it does make an audible click sound whenever you aren't in infinite mode. I prefer it, as it lets me know when it registers as a command for up or down.

This is what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq88l3Nsi4E

Since I am already using a mechanical keyboard (Razer BlackWidow Ultimate), I guess the mouse wheel noise shouldn’t be an issue, esp. in games like WoW which don’t use the wheel that much.

I’ve read in some reviews that the mouse wheel of G502 produces an annoying noise when scrolling the normal wheel (no noise with the “infinite” wheel). Thoughts?
    What is think is that when you have a freewheel you will only use the click feature when you don't want the wheel to move, you will also be cursed with a lifetime of only buying mice with freewheels even if they seem to be gloriously expensive and extremely unreliable(g700 I am looking at you).
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I may be insane but how are people in a need of "gaming/mmo/wow" mouse?
    buy the one you like/feels good in your hand, It could have no extra buttons and it it has its even better but somethingslike 12 extra button mouses are abominations when it comes to comfort not to mention you will never fully utilize them. Even now you can EASILY fit all skills for any class on standard keyboard, you can aid yourself with programs to remap keyboard buttons (for instance you can remap tab and windows key for extra buttons) and smart macros. Also

"- * Compatible with WoW, I have to be careful because I know some games don’t support very well buttons after the 5th one"

as long as these buttons are programmable you can assign them to buttons like poilkjmnb ie buttons you won't most likely reach on your physical keyboard.

ALSO keep in mind that Legion is what 2 months away? You wont need more than 5 buttons.... on your keyboard... ^^
    So unless you are going to utilize so many extra buttons in other games/program than WoW, i'd look for comfort/quality than quantity.

Ps: I know its not exactly what you asked for but hey, thats just my friendly 2 cents. ;]
    Ps: Razer is trash, never ever again "cheap" sht labeled as "gaming" for extrapremium price, thx but no thanks. Would take my current cheap chinese mouse (tracer recon, tho i have seen other companies sell them branded otherwise in other countries) over my last 2 razer mouses anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    I may be insane but how are people in a need of "gaming/mmo/wow" mouse?
    That is not insane at all. Actually that is an excellent question, one that I’ve asked myself before opening this thread (and one that I still haven’t answered yet tbh).

I bought my Cataclysm MMO Gaming Mouse when I didn’t feel like I needed it. I had already learned to play with 5 buttons (or even less at the beginning) for 6 years or so. But I wanted to test a MMO mouse and the kick ass design caught my eye, so I decided to give it a try. When I started to bind more and more spells to the mouse (hint: I didn’t use all of the 14 buttons from day one), I could really feel my gameplay improved over time. Spells I had to cast in an emergency were cast slightly sooner (when something’s critical, casting an important spell even 0.2 secs ahead can make the difference between a lifesaving and a raid wipe) or I could simply have more spells at hand (e.g. I could rebind some of the keyboard shortcuts higher than 6 that are hard to use quickly in combat). Ultimately, out of the 14 buttons I used between 8 and 10 buttons that were really helpful (i.e. between 3 and 5 more buttons than a standard mouse), and the rest of the buttons were dedicated to quality-of-life improvements (i.e. appreciated but not mandatory).

In other words, I’m looking for an 8- to 10-button mouse based on my previous experience on this very game.

as long as these buttons are programmable you can assign them to buttons like poilkjmnb ie buttons you won't most likely reach on your physical keyboard.
    Yeah I figured that out later. My mind was programmed to use the WoW official mouse that has an option use directly mouse buttons (i.e. not as keyboard binds), which has some issues. But then I realized that binding mouse buttons to keyboard shortcuts would work just as well and doesn’t require anything special in-game.

ALSO keep in mind that Legion is what 2 months away? You wont need more than 5 buttons.... on your keyboard... ^^
    That’s part of my hesitation. I bought the Cataclysm Gaming Mouse during… huh… Cataclysm, which was the peak of action bars. At that time, using all the default action bars (60 actions in total) was not enough for some classes just using basic spells (i.e. not including action buttons for macros). This was absolute madness. Having lots of mouse buttons totally made sense. I’m not sure how important it is today (WoD) and how it will be tomorrow (Legion).

So unless you are going to utilize so many extra buttons in other games/program than WoW, i'd look for comfort/quality than quantity.
    I’m not willing to sacrifice comfort or quality just for the sake of having more buttons. Otherwise I would just blow the dust off my old Cata mouse, or buy one of the random MMO mice that have an embedded calculator.

Ps: Razer is trash
    I don’t know. I agree Razer is overrated, I’ve had problems with their devices, but I’ve also had problems with devices from other brands (Logitech, SteelSeries, Microsoft, just to name a few). A friend of mine warned me before buying a Razer DeathAdder because he bought one which malfunctioned in about a year, then he bought a new one which had another issue about a year too (don’t ask me why he bought the same product twice). But I have one from like 3 years now and it’s still working like a charm. YMMV.

I recently bought a logitech g502 proteus core spectrum, and I'm not a big fan, that "snipe" button is so badly placed I keep pushing it by accident, annoys the crap out of me, I so miss my 500s, mouse buttons were placed waaaay better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I recently bought a logitech g502 proteus core spectrum, and I'm not a big fan, that "snipe" button is so badly placed I keep pushing it by accident, annoys the crap out of me
    Can’t you deactivate it?

Can’t you deactivate it?
    I could, but I got the mouse because I wanted that extra button and in some games I have it mapped to something that is useful and non disruptive, still as soon as I find something I like better it's going to back-up mouse status.