Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I spent a significant portion of my life focusing on engaging Russian submarines. Once they get about four years old, they're noisy junk. This was true even after the Walker situation (in which a Navy Warrant Officer and his family sold US submarine silencing technology to the Russians). The reason they become junk so quickly is because Russia is a third world country attempting to maintain a first world military. They don't know how to take care of their stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    How quite are Russian subs compared to US subs? Not to mention carrier planes can be equipped for various roles. I'm sure sub hunter is one of them.
    Depends on the sub, but the latest Russian SSNs are about on par with US I-688 boats.

As a side note, the USN has 54 SSNs, Russia has 47 SSN/SSGN/SSKs combined. The US is more likely to have Russian subs under the gun than anything.
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2016-06-11 at 02:46 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not sure if you'd be able to actually argue that the US backed down from the records that are available. No idea where you learned your history, but Cuba was quite embarassing for the Soviet Union. They were caught with their pants down, they did not anticipate the response of the US to be that determined and in the end, they made a bad deal to get out of it. This deal was so bad, in fact, that it cost Khrushchev his job two years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Yep In exchange for the widthdrawl of ICBMs from Cuba, the US removed Jupiter missiles from Turkey, which were technologically obsolete and vulnerable to Russian attack.
    All the records are available. Jupiter missiles removed from Turkey and Italy, US signed a treaty to never attack Cuba without provocation (the main goal).
    USSR removed Long range missiles from Cuba that were placed there to protect Cuba and were no longer needed as per treaty.
    But unbeknownst to USA - USSR kept Tactical nukes of which USA was none the wiser and never demanded the removal of.
    Nukes were only removed by USSR later out of fear of Cubans getting their hands on them on their own and starting a Nuclear war with USA.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post

one side is completely encircling the other and acting tremendously aggressive right on the borders of the other.
    Yes Murmansk encircling US East Coast and Vladivostok encircling US West Coast, US are totaly wedged by Russia military baces.....

- - - Updated - - -

Noone has ever defeated the Russians, noone. Hitler was in the same long list as Napoleon etc.
    Crimean War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War
    Russo-Japanese War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War
    Treaty of Brest-Litovsk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Brest-Litovsk

Some exampel between Napoleon and Hitler.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But unbeknownst to USA - USSR kept Tactical nukes of which USA was none the wiser and never demanded the removal of.
    Nukes were only removed by USSR later out of fear of Cubans getting their hands on them on their own and starting a Nuclear war with USA.
    So Russia can not be trusted? US did abode there part of the agreement.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    So Russia can not be trusted? US did abode there part of the agreement.....
    So did USSR, not sure what Russia has to do with it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    So did USSR, not sure what Russia has to do with it.
    nitpicking..... USSR then....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    nitpicking..... USSR then....
    What nitpicking? It's like confusing EU with Germany. That thing you did there with USSR and Russia.

USSR did abode to their part as was outlined by USA. They removed long range missiles.

Oh the usual suspects i love these threads so much entertainment from Lei Shi and Ulmita

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    How quite are Russian subs compared to US subs? Not to mention carrier planes can be equipped for various roles. I'm sure sub hunter is one of them.
    Russia has super putin subs that shoot soundless lazers! Its true Ulmita said so.

- - - Updated - - -

What nitpicking? It's like confusing EU with Germany. That thing you did there with USSR and Russia.

USSR did abode to their part as was outlined by USA. They removed long range missiles.
    Except the USSR headquarter was in moscow the command was in moscow everything was in moscow but noo poor Russia was innocent and dindu nuffink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

in other news the US peacefully and democratically places freedom troops, military hardware, freedomcruisers and defense rockets on the border of the former soviet union member of Russia..
    Meanwhile Russia has aggressively being doing military drills in territory that borders on 14 different countries!

luckily the peaceful US has managed to keep the violent country of Russia in check and stopped it from nuking indiscriminately by using peace, democracy and freedom.

god bless america.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I ain't clicking these Russian links. Last time I did my Facebook profile started liking random Russian pages.
    Omg, mine started swtiching to Russian randomly. I thought it was a weird bug with chrome that switched the language after auto translate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Except the USSR headquarter was in moscow the command was in moscow everything was in moscow but noo poor Russia was innocent and dindu nuffink.
    So? Should we blame Belgium for everything EU/NATO does just because EU and NATO HQ are in Brussels?
    By your logic we should blame Ukraine for Cuban Crisis. Because Khrushchev was Ukrainian.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    in other news the US peacefully and democratically places freedom troops, military hardware, freedomcruisers and defense rockets on the border of the former soviet union member of Russia..
    Meanwhile Russia has aggressively being doing military drills in territory that borders on 14 different countries!

luckily the peaceful US has managed to keep the violent country of Russia in check and stopped it from nuking indiscriminately by using peace, democracy and freedom.

god bless america.
    while written like shit you sir are correct.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which country they invaded? You are confused with the USA dude.

- - - Updated - - -

What you don't get is that different countries of the EU see USA differently. Did you notice how the French and Italians are pushing actively for the sanctions to drop? French just voted against the sanctions. Greece is in the same boat among others.

The fact that the Germans got owned so hard by the Russians in ww2 might explain why Germany is acting so harsh against Russia.
    Russia was lucky ( along with the rest of the world ) Germany had a military tactical loser for a leader. Had he listened to his generals, Germany would have never invaded Russia while they still were at war with England.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Russia was lucky + Germany would have never invaded Russia while they still were at war with England.
    That doesn't compute. Russia was lucky Germany invaded it sooner than it should've? Instead of giving Russia more time to prepare or even avoid the war altogether?

That doesn't compute. Russia was lucky Germany invaded it sooner than it should've? Instead of giving Russia more time to prepare or even avoid the war altogether?
    There are probably entire forums dedicated to that topic. I suggest you read up on it there, I'm sure that discussion alone will be one we're still having in 100 years. Both sides have good arguments and we'll honestly never know.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Both times their population was under attack, + in Ukraine they had every right to be in Crimea as they were rending the base there for 20,000 so soldiers.

Lastly, i don't see you bitching for the USA, the world's top warmongering nation, who has been invading and raging chaos in a shiton of countries, that had NOTHING to do with them.

Russia is a saint nation vs the USA. USA is pushing for a confrontation between EU and Russia, but hey we wont bait.

- - - Updated - - -

Noone has ever defeated the Russians, noone. Hitler was in the same long list as Napoleon etc.
    This last quote just gave your history knowledge away friend. In fact Russia has been defeated in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    There are probably entire forums dedicated to that topic. I suggest you read up on it there, I'm sure that discussion alone will be one we're still having in 100 years. Both sides have good arguments and we'll honestly never know.
    I'm really not interested in pointless topics, I'm just shocked at how lucky Russia was for being attacked by Germany and not, say, how lucky UK was for not having the whole German military machine at its shores.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    The only reason they got owned is because they allied half the world against Germany, in a one on one all would have been defeated swiftly, Russia, England, US, all of them.
    Someone who was able to defeat France would defeat every other country with ease.
    I didn't want to respond in this bait thread, but gotta say it there : either ur troll and baiting there or really don't know what you are talking about, especially the french part.

Aicraft carriers are good for keeping smaller countries in check. They are the easiest possible target for another superpower.

I'm really not interested in pointless topics, I'm just shocked at how lucky Russia was for being attacked by Germany and not, say, how lucky UK was for not having the whole German military machine at its shores.
    It really depends on how you view that pointless discussion. Such a statement makes sense if you believe Germany first dealing with England, potentially winning that war and then actually throwing the entire might against Russia a year later instead of just half of it could have far outweighed whatever the Russians could have mobilised in that year. Stalin clearly did not anticipate a conflict that early in the war.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.