Page 97 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    They shouldn't have allowed the script to be taltered this much. Duncan Jones had a piece of the Warcraft universe to display and how he felt about the script is his own thing. He should've been given the script and if he didn't like how "orcs were the bad guys and how it was a cliche", then he shouldn't have worked on it anyway. There was plenty of room to make up for the "orcs are the bad guys" cliche in a sequel, if one was ever to come, but taking a certain portion of the story and not displaying it correctly is just wrong. As far as I'm informed he had something against the script due to orcs being presented as the bad guys, so he changed the script to make it even. Orcs have had their moments to shine in Warcraft and if they wanted to bring some of that in, then they should've taken a different point of time in the story to cover in the movie. They changed Llane's death and the way he died, the way the orcs were summoned to Azeroth(leaving out Black Morass) and so on.

As someone who is very familiar with the universe, I am fairly disappointed with the story wandering away from how it actually was officially in the lore. The movie is great from a technical point of view though.
    That's not far off from the lore. If you are looking at just War I, the idea is that we only heard one side of the story - from the humans. We didn't find out until much later that the Frostwolves refused to drink the blood and were exiled for dissent after they came through the portal. Since War 3, Blizzard has been making a strong point to show the Orcs were never the bad guys - no more then the Draenei are the bad guys (because of the actions of Archimonde, Kil'Jaden, and the overwhelming majority of their brethren on Argus). The move was to paint Sargeras and the Burning Legion as the bads (and a sprinkling of the Old Gods).

So the main difference (though there a lots of small ones) is that the Frostwolves joined the fight and the resulting outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    That's not far off from the lore. If you are looking at just War I, the idea is that we only heard one side of the story - from the humans. We didn't find out until much later that the Frostwolves refused to drink the blood and were exiled for dissent after they came through the portal. Since War 3, Blizzard has been making a strong point to show the Orcs were never the bad guys - no more then the Draenei are the bad guys (because of the actions of Archimonde, Kil'Jaden, and the overwhelming majority of their brethren on Argus). The move was to paint Sargeras and the Burning Legion as the bads (and a sprinkling of the Old Gods).

So the main difference (though there a lots of small ones) is that the Frostwolves joined the fight and the resulting outcome.

The Frostwolves never cooperated with the humans though. They were against what Gul'dan was doing, but they didn't have the impact they're being given here. The point is that they represented like 5 out of a 100 orcs there and that considering this ratio, they shouldn't have been given as much attention/impact as they were. The attention should've been given to the fel orcs and their bloodlust, instead of giving it to a family-type of orc throughout the movie. Durotan was assassinated by Gul'dan's SC, he didn't die the way he was shown to die in the movie either.

Garona is being shown as a "merciful killer" while she actually tore Llane's heart out as an agent of the Shadow Council, willingly or possessed, but she did it either way. Instead, they show her walking around the throne the first time she enters Stormwind as if she would've been allowed to do that in any serious universe. The part where Lothar riders the gryphon into the middle of a few thousand fel orcs and manages to take Llane's body is a joke too, as if they'd let him pass.

Medivh didn't even summon the orcs through his portal in the Black Morass, but did something completely different.

All of what I named consitutes the most important parts of the movie.. Durotan's death, the ratio of good/bad ors, the way Llane died, the way the orcs were summoned by Medivh.. and all of these parts were changed completely. These were very clear scenarios and could've been made as they are in the lore.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-06-11 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane-Villain View Post
    2/10.
    - elves (except asian looking elf, because elves in WoW have strongly caucasian features!)
    I've seen this complaint 2x now and I shake my head in disbelief each time. This is so nitpicky and utter nonsense in my eyes. It's like being upset Rue is African American in Hunger Games but to an even more absurd degree because just like humans I doubt every night elf looks the same simply because the game displays them as such. I was fine with the elves except for the one's horrendous purple teeth.

Best scene in the movie;
    When they rode over a bridge to Goldshire and you could see a Murloc standing on a rock in the river.

Murlocs rule!

The Frostwolves never cooperated with the humans though. They were against what Gul'dan was doing, but they didn't have the impact they're being given here. The point is that they represented like 5 out of a 100 orcs there and that considering this ratio, they shouldn't have been given as much attention/impact as they were. The attention should've been given to the fel orcs and their bloodlust, instead of giving it to a family-type of orc throughout the movie. Durotan was assassinated by Gul'dan's SC, he didn't die the way he was shown to die in the movie either.

Garona is being shown as a "merciful killer" while she actually tore Llane's heart out as an agent of the Shadow Council, willingly or possessed, but she did it either way. Instead, they show her walking around the throne the first time she enters Stormwind as if she would've been allowed to do that in any serious universe. The part where Lothar riders the gryphon into the middle of a few thousand fel orcs and manages to take Llane's body is a joke too, as if they'd let him pass.

Medivh didn't even summon the orcs through his portal in the Black Morass, but did something completely different.

All of what I named constitutes the most important parts of the movie.. Durotan's death, the ratio of good/bad ors, the way Llane died, the way the orcs were summoned by Medivh.. and all of these parts were changed completely. These were very clear scenarios and could've been made as they are in the lore.
    "Garona became a trusted confidant to King Llane. Due to Medivh's mind games, she was unable to form a true allegiance. She reported to King Llane the inner workings of the Horde and how he could use it to his advantage." Also, she cut his heart out, as a distinction to "tearing it out", and cried while doing it, which tells me she was doing it against her will.

I just don't have problems with the changes. I wasn't trying to watch the books I read. Movies are inherently different and have to be -ESPECIALLY- different from game lore, because movies and games play out very very differently. Had they stuck to the games & lore 100%, it would have been even more confusing to non-Warcraft players and much, much longer than 2 hours, like probably several in order to explain everything to everyone.

Apparently there was a level up animation/sound when Khadgar got the fel cleaned out of him. I totally missed that.

Also Grom and some of the other Warlords were in the movie. I thought I noticed familiar faces like Kargath, but wasn't sure since they didn't speak. Apparently Grom was the one that was going to kill Lothar's son before Blackhand came in and ninjad it. I would have liked some dialogue there though, something like "Stand down Hellscream, he belongs to me" or something like that from Blackhand. Grom is too badass of a character to not at least be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    I've seen this complaint 2x now and I shake my head in disbelief each time. This is so nitpicky and utter nonsense in my eyes. It's like being upset Rue is African American in Hunger Games but to an even more absurd degree because just like humans I doubt every night elf looks the same simply because the game displays them as such. I was fine with the elves except for the one's horrendous purple teeth.
    I think it's just that most people would like them to be portrayed like they were in wc3 and wow, which is a pretty reasonable argument.
    Aren't they high elves though?

Quote Originally Posted by Fearsom1992 View Post
    I gave it a 7.5 or 8 because of twist if you rated it lower you are not a warcraft fan it was strictly made for fans who knew the story
    If you are a warcraft fan that actually know the lore, you rated the move a 3 or 4, lore wise most of it is off. Not going to put some spoilers but most important stuff are NOT like in the movie at all.

Looking at Lothar I always though I was watching Vikings, its like the actor can't move away from that role, despite playing something totally different.

Besides all the lore issues, If you pretend its like WoD, an alternate universe telling a totally different story of some characters you know and some places you have been while ingame you will enjoy the movie. Ignoring all the background behind the movie (lore, expectations, etc) it can be rated a 8-9/10.

All of what I named consitutes the most important parts of the movie.. Durotan's death, the ratio of good/bad ors, the way Llane died, the way the orcs were summoned by Medivh.. and all of these parts were changed completely. These were very clear scenarios and could've been made as they are in the lore.
    So said everyone that ever set out to make a shitty movie adaptation of a non-live action source material. The last thing you should ever do is try to be painstakingly faithful to specific details like that. As an initiation into the world (of Warcraft!), this film actually did about as good a job as it could have hoped to do for people unfamiliar with it, without making the suicidal mistake of bogging way down in lore specifics that only stick after repeated play through two decades worth of video games.

1) Medivh was corrupted by demonic power and aided in the summoning of the Horde into Azeroth
    2) Garona became attached to the humans she was in contact to but ended up killing Llane against her will
    3) Durotan and Draka were some of the Orcs who realized the evil path Gul'dan was on; Durotan was killed by Gul'dan (directly instead of by agents)
    4) it's clearly established that Orcs follow strength, but that Gul'dan's ways are constantly in conflict with what the natural, cultural habits of the Orcs would be and that it would likely later cause them to turn against him.

Those are all things that make the movie a perfect representation of the story setting on which its based. The fine details are the ones that actually don't matter all that much. The only added detail I'd have included would have been to name check the Legion or Sargeras as being the source of "the Fel" purely for sequel bait. Hell, here's some lore sacrilege -- if they really do hope to make more movies, especially a WC3 movie eventualy, I'd have established that represenatives of Lordaeron and Kul Tiras had come to Stormwind prior to that assault and had... brought their son and daughter, respectively, and thereby established Arthas and Jaina on screen just as they had Varian.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post

Those are all things that make the movie a perfect representation of the story setting on which its based. The fine details are the ones that actually don't matter all that much. The only added detail I'd have included would have been to name check the Legion or Sargeras as being the source of "the Fel" purely for sequel bait. Hell, here's some lore sacrilege -- if they really do hope to make more movies, especially a WC3 movie eventualy, I'd have established that represenatives of Lordaeron and Kul Tiras had come to Stormwind prior to that assault and had... brought their son and daughter, respectively, and thereby established Arthas and Jaina on screen just as they had Varian.
    The "fine" details you mention are essentials. Its not a fine detail when you present Llane's death in a totally different way, when you summon the orcs in a totally different way, when Durotan dies in a totally different way, when Lothar does something unthinkable for his character... These are not details, but key points. These are some of most important characters' deaths that we are talking about here, that defined what happens in the entirety of the future universe. This doesn't constitute "painstakingly faitful to specific details". These are key moments in the universe.

Details are all those things that happened inbetween what I mentioned above. They actually paid a lot of attention to details, while playing around with the important part of the lore.

What you listed only allows for the plot to go on in a specific direction, but it doesn't change the fact that the most important parts of the movie weren't represented as they should've been because how these happened defined how the world around them reacted to it in the future.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-06-11 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Apparently there was a level up animation/sound when Khadgar got the fel cleaned out of him.
    It is not very recognizable from that angle.

The movie gets a 6/10 out of me as a fan, as a non fan I could see it go down to a 5/10.

While this movie can be fun to watch when you've been into Warcraft lore for so long, its very hard to look over all the flaws that this movie has. The most obvious one that even fanboys can agree on is the pacing, especially the first 20 minutes have been WAY to fast while it also feels like a lot of stuff were left out. We haven't even properly seen Draenor, it was just a huge orc army assembling at the Dark Portal (they didn't even name it the Dark Portal, forgot the other name). But because of these pacing issues, most of the characters characterisation felt underdeveloped and it got hard to care for their deaths. They tried very hard to make Lothars son death emotional, I didn't feel anything and wanted that scene to be over. The only characters they've done somewhat right are Lothar, Khadgar and medivh, which I'd also call the best human characters in the movie. They also introduced way to many characters, its almost like they thought ''the more big names from WoW we put in, the better the movie gets''... if only that were true.

For the rest I can give credits to the orcs, they are highly detailed to the point of being photorealistic. I also like how they made each orc look unique, not a complete copy paste like in most armies. We've seen plenty of female orcs aswell. But the CGI in other places look from good to awful, I think one of the worst offender is the whole golem scene and how fake Stormwinds streets look. The magic for spells is decent for most of the time, I especially liked the polymorph scene. Then for the lore, it didn't really feel interesting to me at all. Its not like the First War has ever been interesting in the first place, but it feels like they could've done much better with the movie.

Its not as bad as those critics make it out to be, but its also not nearly as great as those fanboys make it out to be. I still hope for more sequels so we eventually get an Arthas movie, thats where the real stuff happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched it again, I liked the cameos in the blizzard logo at the beginning. You see diablo, arthas, someone I didn't recognise and tracer.

I liked you could hear a gnoll in elwynn.

Loved the murloc.

Seeing the other warchiefs throughout was cool.

Glad to see antonidas.

There were lordaeron and kul tiras members in the meeting.

And I think ashkandi was in the armoury
    Last edited by Benomatic; 2016-06-11 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnosh View Post
    If you are a warcraft fan that actually know the lore, you rated the move a 3 or 4, lore wise most of it is off. Not going to put some spoilers but most important stuff are NOT like in the movie at all.

Looking at Lothar I always though I was watching Vikings, its like the actor can't move away from that role, despite playing something totally different.

Besides all the lore issues, If you pretend its like WoD, an alternate universe telling a totally different story of some characters you know and some places you have been while ingame you will enjoy the movie. Ignoring all the background behind the movie (lore, expectations, etc) it can be rated a 8-9/10.
    They have specifically stated it is separate lore. Like Game of Thrones (the show) and A Song of Ice and Fire (the series)

https://twitter.com/MickyNeilson/sta...65824536793088

https://twitter.com/ChristieGolden/s...02998488604672
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    I saw it today. I'll give it 8/10.
    It was a bit crowded, as in the action was speeding like an action train. It happened to me to blink twice and miss important scenes (I blinked more than twice during the movie, but these 2 times I actually missed some action).
    Also, the human story wasn't that great made honestly. They seemed more like the support cast to the orcs and Garona. Maybe Lothar got a bit of development and Khadgar, but not so much.

There were lore changes and I understand why they did some, but I only found 2 to be things I couldn't accept, the fact that the Dark Portal was not fully opened and Lothar killing Blackhand and strolling out of the orc camp...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Just watched it again, I liked the cameos in the blizzard logo at the beginning. You see diablo, arthas, someone I didn't recognise and tracer.

I liked you could hear a gnoll in elwynn.

Loved the murloc.

Seeing the other warchiefs throughout was cool.

Glad to see antonidas.

There were lordaeron and kul tiras members in the meeting.

And I think ashkandi was in the armoury
    Since you saw the council meeting properly, I need to ask, there was a black guy there, who was that? I can't place him anywhere and I didn't see him properly.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-06-11 at 03:56 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Seems kinda pointless to have a megathread when the other movie thread has like 900 pages...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Box Office Mojo stating that the reported world box office as of 6/10 is $288M. Some foreign markets (not China) are behind in the reporting, though.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I saw it today. I'll give it 8/10.
    It was a bit crowded, as in the action was speeding like an action train. It happened to me to blink twice and miss important scenes (I blinked more than twice during the movie, but these 2 times I actually missed some action).
    Also, the human story wasn't that great made honestly. They seemed more like the support cast to the orcs and Garona. Maybe Lothar got a bit of development and Khadgar, but not so much.

There were lore changes and I understand why they did some, but I only found 2 to be things I couldn't accept, the fact that the Dark Portal was not fully opened and Lothar killing Blackhand and strolling out of the orc camp...

- - - Updated - - -

Since you saw the council meeting properly, I need to ask, there was a black guy there, who was that? I can't place him anywhere and I didn't see him properly.
    Yeah I think there is two, the Lordaeron delegate and Llanes general/soldier.

Does anyone know what is the box office in USA by now? I keep getting contradicting informations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Does anyone know what is the box office in USA by now? I keep getting contradicting informations.
    Box Office Mojo reports $10.71M (est.) through 6/10 (Friday). Projections for the whole weekend have been trending down a bit after a misleading thursday number.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"