You heard it guys, a few comments is now the representative of the entire gaming community.
    Totally worth making articles and causing an outrage over, but don't you dare to even stand against people who is out to censor the media, or don't you dare to criticise pretend journalists.

SJW's will SJW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna say that these comments come across as racist, but clearly it's because I'm a religious nutjob who wants to get gaming banned or something ^.^
    Nope, you're just something worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yeah, people are criticising the game because of a black protag, not because the first game was utter garbage and full of promises that turned out to be lies.
    Watch Dogs 2 is not Watch Dogs, though. People ARE complaining about the black protagonist in WD2, though I can somewhat understand their standing when I see some saying it would have made more sense to have an Asian American protagonist in San Francisco. Personally, though, I think that wouldn't work.... Square already made Watch Dogs with a Chinese-American protagonist, but they were Sleeping Dogs at the time.

I'm in the minority that actually liked Watch Dogs, though. Anyone blasting the sequel based on the first has a poor memory of the night and day difference of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2. That's not to say Ubisoft will deliver an transcended experience this time, but I'm hoping they do.

But, I'll concede you're correct about one thing, without question. The main complaint I saw was the fact that Watch Dogs 2 exists, not who the protagonist is.

But the article isn't about people as a whole, it's about those who ARE criticizing from a position of racism, which the cherry picked comments are doing. It's a valid point potentially presented as more widespread than it actually is (didn't read the article, just saw the headline). I'm not going to go fact check him with a steam comment statistical analysis though.

Otherwise, ding dong, the Gawker's (basically) dead. >.>
    Last edited by Faroth; 2016-06-10 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm in the minority that actually liked Watch Dogs, though. Anyone blasting the sequel based on the first has a poor memory of the night and day difference of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2. That's not to say Ubisoft will deliver an transcended experience this time, but I'm hoping they do.
    People aren't complaining because they think WD2 will be like WD1 though, people complain because again ubisoft is lying through their teeths and is just straight up bullshitting people into their face with what they are showing off.
    People can't honestly believe that the game will be like what they are showing off, downgrades are going to happen.

Same shit with Ass Cred, alot of promises over and over and over, only to turn into lies and people getting tricked by it.
    There is alot of anger remaining from the PC issues aswell from WD1.
    People are tired of this shit, they are tired of being lied to up into their face, that's where the backlash is coming from, and the fact that we are already seeing journalists, and even people like Jim, someone who i used to somewhat respect turn that criticism into "gamers are bitching because of black protag!" is exactly why gamergate exist.

But let's take those couple of comments that complain about black people, SJW's like Dhrizzle only have themself to blame, you created this atmosphere, people like you tried to force your PC parade into people's face, and people are fed up with it, only have yourself to blame, and now we are seeing very real movements that is out to censor and ban video games, UK and France being the front runners, thank's to you dipshits.
    You would never see comments like that before, even if they were there, people ignored them.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-06-10 at 08:00 PM.

I...don't get it. Jim (whom I dislike) wrote an article about how some Steam users are making racist comments about the new Watch Dogs protagonist.

This is objectively true, there are some Steam users making racist comments. I don't see the article portraying all gamers or the broader gaming community as racist as well, just some folks on the Steam forums. Also, the usual chorus of "anti-SJW"s that are as obnoxious as the "SJW"s they complain about.

I don't get what the counter-outrage is about?

Also, Ziff Davis (owns IGN) bought Gawker, so while Gawker proper as a company is dead, we'll see what goes on in terms of the sites/staff moving over of leaving. Apparently some rumors about staffers possibly dishing on internal drama and shit, which shouldn't be surprising given how wildly unprofessional Gawker blog staff usually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also, Ziff Davis (owns IGN) bought Gawker
    Did that go through? I remember it coming up as a possibility but haven't seen anything confirming it.

Deleted
    And people wonder why Gamergate is still a thing.

This is entirely the fault of game journalism, we're seeing straight out attacks on video games just like back in the days with religious conservatives, this time for entirely different reasons from a group with hella lot more backup, driven by game "journalists" and even some developers.
    "they are not trying to take your games away!"
    Some people have a different definition of sexism than we do.

Like I said before, the only realistic solution is spending power. Support developers who share your beliefs.

Now if governments become involved and start censoring games for non-existent "sexism", then it starts to become a much greater concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Now if governments become involved and start censoring games for non-existent "sexism", then it starts to become a much greater concern.
    Which happens to be exactly what that article is about...

It really is a wonder what could qualify for the financial incentives they are considering. Because if they follow the Feminist Frequency method of measuring sexism (which the article suggests) then the only games that could qualify are those where the female characters are barely recognizable blobs of pixels that get no dialogue. Even when they sang the praises of Jade from Beyond Good and Evil they still criticized the character's portrayal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Which happens to be exactly what that article is about...

It really is a wonder what could qualify for the financial incentives they are considering. Because if they follow the Feminist Frequency method of measuring sexism (which the article suggests) then the only games that could qualify are those where the female characters are barely recognizable blobs of pixels that get no dialogue. Even when they sang the praises of Jade from Beyond Good and Evil they still criticized the character's portrayal.
    Some people regard female characters who draw male attention, or even attractive female characters full stop, as "sexist". If sexism is defined as regarding one sex as inferior, then sanity will prevail, because most portrayals of female characters don't seem sexist to me.

"Negative" portrayals of women are subjective and therefore up to consumers to define.

If the definition of "sexism" becomes if-women-aren't-the-center-of-attention-and-all-powerful-all-the-time = sexist, and that is enforced by government censors, then this doesn't bode well for the games industry.

Why did people let this creep into society in the first place?

Deleted
    That day is the day i will be done with Gamergate and say we have won, and that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon sadly.
    Thank god Nichegamer and Lewdgamer is a thing, they are in my eyes the only tolerable sites out there atm.
    Don't know about others, but this was pretty much the win condition for me.

https://archive.is/tYkrJ

?
    I get the distinct impression you're not reading anything in this topic.

Nope, you're just something worse.
    A straight white male gamer who doesn't feel persecuted?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Don't know about others, but this was pretty much the win condition for me.

https://archive.is/tYkrJ
    I think Gawker shutting down was a win condition for everyone, hopefully next we see Breitbart follow them.

Breitbart and Salon. Let's hope both go down in flames. Fuck all this ridiculous biased "news."

Yeah that's cute and all, but nobody here feels persecuted despite how many times you repeat this dumb and idiotic narrative, as usual you have zero idea what people here even argue for and stand for, to the point where you are just shitposting really.

Good article by escapistmagazine.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-Space-Trigger

Deleted
    I get the distinct impression you're not reading anything in this topic.
    I only care about solutions.

It seems to me that many people allowed these "social justice warriors" to take over.

It doesn't really effect me personally. My favorite devs will be immune to this nonsense. Only government force could change that, but again, certain parts of the world are immune to that too.

Maybe next time more people will actually pay attention to the warning signs.

Sane people aren't going to allow the definition of sexism etc to change.

You were lucky Beyond Good & Evil was even made by the way. It was a huge failure when it was originally released. Is that our fault? It's one of the best games ever made in my opinion.

Supply and demand. It always was and always will be the way of the world. If gamers want to fight this era of censorship then I suggest they support their favorite developers much more. I see a lot of complaining while more and more fiction falls to this nonsense.

I wonder if the kind of censorship certain people want for "sexist" games applies to older games as well.
    Last edited by mmoc614a3ed308; 2016-06-10 at 11:21 PM.

Persecuted? Is that what we're supposed to be now?

Sure is hard keeping the narrative straight...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, you have fun lecturing everyone on what we all already know.

Yeah that's cute and all, but nobody here feels persecuted despite how many times you repeat this dumb and idiotic narrative, as usual you have zero idea what people here even argue for and stand for, to the point where you are just shitposting really.
    I thought we were discussing a magazine calling out racists on Steam and how some people like to get outraged and take it as a direct attack on video-games as part of their idiotic narrative.

Deleted
    Yeah, you have fun lecturing everyone on what we all already know.
    So has anything significantly changed?

Apparently, certain people have a very different definition of sexism.

If they own all the companies, control all the purse strings, and control the flow of money, good luck stopping them.

I want to focus on putting more money back into the hands of gamers who aren't a part of this era of "social justice".

You can't support uncorrupted devs if you are poor, especially when games have 100+ million dollar budgets.

We need way more spending power. And that's just focusing on one facet of this growing problem.

Knowing is only half the battle.

Garian go away from my thread. You're just ammo for the SJW.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I ran across a native advertising detector while looking at other things. So, while we're waiting for the FCC to finish up it's work regulating native advertising, you can get a bit of a head start.

article describing it
    http://adland.tv/adnews/addetector-d...nes/1035173979

direct link to the plugin
    http://www.ianww.com/ad-detector/

I haven't used it yet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I...don't get it. Jim (whom I dislike) wrote an article about how some Steam users are making racist comments about the new Watch Dogs protagonist.

This is objectively true, there are some Steam users making racist comments. I don't see the article portraying all gamers or the broader gaming community as racist as well, just some folks on the Steam forums. Also, the usual chorus of "anti-SJW"s that are as obnoxious as the "SJW"s they complain about.

I don't get what the counter-outrage is about?
    What was the purpose of writing such an article about a few comments on Steam though? What other purpose did it serve except to incite some sort of a reaction? A defensive one from certain gamers that are tired of gamers being labeled as sexist, racist, misogynist and whatever other ist they can come up with, and then the typical reaction from the in-crowd of journalists and certain youtubers, propagating the message and ignoring all context to use it as an example of how horrible gamers are. And then when gamers become defensive and call out their bullshit, they just use it as more fuel to say how gamers harass people that are just trying to do good or some bs, while completely ignoring the context that most people didn't even notice the protagonist was black, they just saw it as a sequel to a game that disappointed many. Of all the things they could have written about when it came to Watch Dogs 2, why did anyone choose this?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."