Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Are ads, even with adblocker, the problem why mmo-champ and wowhead load so slow for me?

I'm using Firefox and even tried without any addons and plugins. Still loads slow and at some point even semi-freezes for 1-2sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Are ads, even with adblocker, the problem why mmo-champ and wowhead load so slow for me?

I'm using Firefox and even tried without any addons and plugins. Still loads slow and at some point even semi-freezes for 1-2sec.
    Might just be an issue with Firefox. I switched years ago because Firefox started running slow as hell with no good explanations for it. I didn't feel like devoting tons of time to try and figure out what was wrong with my Firefox and switched to chrome and love it.

I guess the most insidious thing about a lot of these ad networks is just how they act as trojan horses (the historic variety).
    You load a script from an ad network, and that script injects scripts from 4 other networks, which in turn inject scripts from yet more ad networks. The site gets paid for the one ad they're showing, but the network piggy backs another 20 ads on that single page view that the site doesn't get paid for - the network keeps all the money.

Of course, site owners think they're being all smart-like and stuff, having multiple ads and multiple ad networks on their pages, look at all that cash! but they're both being played for fools and flooding their users with crap.

if you're using Firefox, you should be using no-script. Disabling javascript globally tends to cut down on a lot of loading-time problems. You can then manually enable scripts on certain pages, permanently or temporarily, if you need certain features to work (a lot of modern front-end frameworks have the entire page text as javascript strings that only get injected into the page onload, or have the style of most elements set to invisible and only get set to visible after load).
    Last edited by pfbe; 2016-06-14 at 12:28 AM.

Deleted
    you could sue mmo-champion and other sites for having to many ads etc especially if your on internet with usage limits,sites like MMO-C purposly drain your usage data so they can make money off you and the admin should be ashamed of himself for letting all this bulshit onto peoples computers, but the admin here is a greedy fuck who just wants money well guess what i use adblocker and noscript so you aint putting any malware on my pc

- - - Updated - - -

its not just the ads its all the bullshit that runs behind the scenes

ads are a plague. tv and internet. thankful every day for dvrs and adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    you could sue mmo-champion and other sites for having to many ads etc especially if your on internet with usage limits,sites like MMO-C purposly drain your usage data so they can make money off you and the admin should be ashamed of himself for letting all this bulshit onto peoples computers, but the admin here is a greedy fuck who just wants money well guess what i use adblocker and noscript so you aint putting any malware on my pc

- - - Updated - - -

its not just the ads its all the bullshit that runs behind the scenes
    That's like suing the highway people when your car cant handle the highway, not sure you could win that lawsuit...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    That's like suing the highway people when your car cant handle the highway, not sure you could win that lawsuit...
    even so the amount of scripts and ads etc on this site is stupid, you cant even view this site on a mobile or any portable device cos of shitty full page ads its clear the admin only cares about money and doesnt give a fuck about its users or there security

Deleted
    Install an adblocker for your phone.
    I use that Origin one on Palemoon browser, works fine.

Deleted
    i find it funny how no admin has commented on why they use so many ads on this site, or is it that the big bosses at curse network tell them to

Feels dirty agreeing with Jaylock, but yeah Ad-Block, literally because of this site. If Ad-Block didn't exist I would just not come here. I only ever even probe by when Im bored to check top threads for anything interesting/clickbait out of habit.

I dont check MMO-C on the phone though. My last 2 new phones both got hijacked and redirected to those spam DOWNLOAD OUR APP sites literally the first time I opened MMO-C on them. Which, by the way, has almost never happened outside of those 2 incidents despite not installing an ad-block ap on those phones.

Pre-Ad-Block on PC was equally unbearable. I had a low bandwidth connection(100kilobytes/s) and if I ever made the horrible mistake of leaving an MMO-C page open while trying to play wow, it was unplayable until I closed the window, and WoW only takes like 5KB/s bandwidth. What the fuck is/was MMO-C doing to use that much bandwidth consistently while tabbed away? The worst by far was when I accidentally opened an MMO-C page during a raid break- and then mid fight had to try to find a safe place during a boss encounter to attempt to tab out and close the window.

Seriously, Ive visited some shady fucking websites on the web, and MMO-C's Adserver is the some of the most cancer shit Ive ever seen. I solely blame the owner/webmaster/whoever makes that decision for continuing to use them despite their disgusting performance(as-of-a-few-months-ago-when-last-I-checked-and-samsung-s7-got-highjacked/redirected)

I do feel a little bad for all the legitimate websites that I now just mindlessly block having discovered ad-block thanks to MMO-C. It seems some sites are finding clever ways around it, the web will evolve and hopefully one day find a happy medium where ad-block is neither effective nor needed.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Remember that ads are often the reason why particular websites are free and do not require subscription. So I guess you can thank all those people without add-block for having MMO-Champ free.
    Then those websites can die, and other new ones can take their place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now says 83 Blocked on this site... holy shhhh.... :S

I am fine with adds. But if adds start poping new pages or my antivirus is going mad due them then I start blocking them. Last time I checked MMO-Champ was owned by curse and doesn't curse sell it's own products? I would be fine if there would be Curse only adds which sell there merchandise and such adds I would be fine to stop blocking them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blocked items on this page - <random number>

That does not mean that those are all ads. That also contains images and stuff that belongs to the page itself.

I've 35 blocked items on the page, but only 16 appear to be ads related.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    35 things on this page, what annoys me is that when I disabled it, my whole page shrunk by the size of the ads, it squished the page so it could obnoxiously show me world of tanks.

Deleted
    as ive said before get the following addons: ghostery: noscript: fatfreefirefox: blur: betterprivacy: lastpass: https everywhere: adguard:
    these addons will kill pretty much everything on sites that piss you off, feel sorry for tablet and mobile users as this site is unusable for them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by meira1111 View Post
    FALSE. Vigilink is an ad and the worse kind of ad. If a link redirects you to something different that is paid by someone else so you go to some webpage they want ITS AN Ad.

Seriously get a clue and stop defending deceptive advertising.

- - - Updated - - -

adware: deceptive ADVERTISING.

Viglink is a type of AD. Educate yourself.
    love how you contradict yourself in the same post about ads , i think its you who needs educating

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    i find it funny how no admin has commented on why they use so many ads on this site, or is it that the big bosses at curse network tell them to
    What's the point? It'll just end up in bickering and won't change the business decision.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I admit that I use Ad-Block, except on my iPad...

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    I admit that I use Ad-Block, except on my iPad...

guess we know who buys wow gold cos ads are based on browser tracking

Deleted
    I use it because I can. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that pages have so many ads on them without it.