Page 1 of 22
... LastLast
    Deleted

You know what worries me more than anything else in the West these days?

In times of all sorts of terror threats, econmical struggles and the revival of old conflicts I really have only one worry that actually makes me sad about our future above anything else.

That worry is that the people in Western countries are devided to the core. We don't seem to be standing united in anything these days.
    And ofcourse, devided we will also (eventually) fall.

What were our binding factors in the past? Christianity, Western values, all the hard earned rights and freedoms maybe? Or perhaps common enemies?
    And what actually binds us today? Nothing I would say. Everything that used to bind us is nearly gone and nothing seems to replace it as of yet.

The current situation IMO also makes it easier for history to repeat itself. Eventually shit will hit the fan (especially in Europe, but also in the US with it's growing internal struggles) and extreme leaders will rise and things will get out of hand.

Not much positivity from my end I guess
    What's your view on what still binds us in the West?

Deleted
    Well you know I am a staunch atheist so of course I can't support any kind of return to more religious values

However, as Voltaire and many others have pointed out, religion has been a very useful tool for social cohesion quite apart from its metaphysical insanities

I actually think the erosion of families (both extended and nuclear) is actually what is leading to poor social cohesion, since family and children create social shareholders who have a vested interest in the welfare of society, whereas independent and unattached individuals are more likely to pursue self-interest ahead of social needs

Where in the past was that? Europe would like to have a word with you.

A big war with Russia would unite us.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

We need a big war to unite us, it's the only time humanity can stand together when facing a threat together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A big war with Russia would unite us.
    Shhhhhh......
    We are friend with Russia.. I know there are some on either side, that get sexually tickled over that prospect of being arch enemies..
    but, in reality..
    We are enjoying our partnership with the Russians in space on a daily basis. Be it Americans or Europeans.
    So, that threat, isn't really existing.

The divide is real though.
    Thing is, the divide always existed.
    Here's my take:
    The modern world was shook to it's core last century because of the two world wars.
    We've all learned from those wars. They were a wake up call. And put humanity into the front seat.
    That worked wonderfully, for the most part. Yes, the road was a bit bumpy, but still we've enjoyed a smooth ride.
    Until rather recently now.
    I think, it has a lot to do with the generations that actually experienced those wars are dying out. There aren't many people left who've gone through WW2, let alone WW1. The following generations fail to grasp the concept of war completely. They never had to experience the horrors. So, war, to them is an irrational thing. Adding to this is the times we're living in. We get war news delivered in ways that don't properly reflect what they actually mean.
    So, we're getting desensitized.
    That's more than apparent, if we pay attention how a large portion of western society shifts towards the right. Into the very direction that thrown us into the deaths of 10s of millions of people, some 80 - 70 years ago.
    But there's still large portion left that refuses to shift to the right too. That has not yet forgotten.
    And that creates that divide.

That's my observation about that.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    That worry is that the people in Western countries are devided to the core. We don't seem to be standing united in anything these days. And ofcourse, devided we will also (eventually) fall.
    When was humanity ever truly united? Europe was in constant conflict since... always. The middle East has been a complete mess since ancient times. The nations of East Asia were in war even before that, with conflicts between China, Korea and Japan continuing up until WW2. Africa is a contant clusterfuck with very few exceptions of nations that got their shit together. Even America, a fairly recently (for a historical perspective) developed continent already has a bloody history.

The truth is that now we are more uniform than ever before in our history, because our cultural differences have begun to fade due to media and the internet.

This is a fundamentaly wrong question that can only lead to disaster. Out of those binding factors you mention, the only valid one is a 'common enemy', which I will gladly see destroyed, since if a "West vs. Everyone else" type of war occured now, it would mean World War with destruction on a global scale.

People are assuming that the West can thrive even if the rest of the planet goes down the toilet. This kind of thinking, as well as the desperation it breeds, is what made abominations like ISIS and other radical extremists to appear.

Your West is a fiction OP. The West was never united against anything ever (until the Soviets, but even then, a lot of what we consider "West" today was well in the Soviet sphere of influence).

Nor was Christianity ever a real uniting factor since the last Siege of Vienna.

Christians killed Christians in the Wars of Religions, Protestans against Catholics or whichever combination of it.

100 Year War, Napoleonic Wars, WW1 and WW2 etc. Westerners killing other Westerners wholesale. This "United West" is a fiction.

Today via organizations like the EU and NATO the West is more united than it has ever been. EVER. Economics and Security brought us together.

In my mind Eurosceptics and idiots of the sort are actively trying to undermine not just Western Civilization but Civilization as a whole.

Tho it is worth mentioning that until recently the only threat to Western powers were other Western powers. That began to change with Russia's shift to being Soviet, the rise of Japan and in our times China and the shithole that is the Middle East. None are really existential threats. Nationalism is the only serious threat to the West.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-06-14 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Your West is a fiction OP. The West was never united against anything ever (until the Soviets, but even then, a lot of what we consider "West" today was well in the Soviet sphere of influence).

Nor was Christianity ever a real uniting factor since the last Siege of Vienna.

Christians killed Christians in the Wars of Religions, Protestans against Catholics or whichever combination of it.

100 Year War, Napoleonic Wars, WW1 and WW2 etc. Westerners killing other Westerners wholesale. This "United West" is a fiction.

Today via organizations like the EU and NATO the West is more united than it has ever been. EVER. Economics and Security brought us together.

In my mind Eurosceptics and idiots of the sort are actively trying to undermine not just Western Civilization but Civilization as a whole.

Tho it is worth mentioning that until recently the only threat to Western powers were other Western powers. That began to change with Russia's shift to being Soviet, the rise of Japan and in our times China and the shithole that is the Middle East. None are really existential threaths. Nationalism is the only serious threat to the West.
    Great post as usual mihalik.

In times of all sorts of terror threats, econmical struggles and the revival of old conflicts I really have only one worry that actually makes me sad about our future above anything else.

That worry is that the people in Western countries are devided to the core. We don't seem to be standing united in anything these days.
    And ofcourse, devided we will also (eventually) fall.

What were our binding factors in the past? Christianity, Western values, all the hard earned rights and freedoms maybe? Or perhaps common enemies?
    And what actually binds us today? Nothing I would say. Everything that used to bind us is nearly gone and nothing seems to replace it as of yet.

The current situation IMO also makes it easier for history to repeat itself. Eventually shit will hit the fan (especially in Europe, but also in the US with it's growing internal struggles) and extreme leaders will rise and things will get out of hand.

Not much positivity from my end I guess
    You described perfectly the regressive liberalism.
    They destroyed our core values like family, motherhood, communities, cultural/national pride, heritage etc and replaced it with feelings, illogical emotions, individualism, diversity (only amongst whites), majority hate, suicidal selfhate, hate groups like third weave feminazis/SJWs/BLM etc

I don't think there is turning back. It's the same thing that happened to the Roman Empire. They outbread and supersede us meanwhile our mentally ill minority happily applaud and smile

I guess cultural things like the latest Star Wars movie brings us together somewhat. It was popular everywhere though, not just the West.

A these billion dollar movies are shared by peoples all over.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Te very existance of terms like Fatah, Goyim, Home Nigger, Oreo, Uncle Tom, Gender Traitor etc is proof that there are people out there who want to cause destruction of social cohesion. I find it especially ironic when I hear it from people who reffer to themselves as to be "progressive".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I guess cultural things like the latest Star Wars movie brings us together somewhat. It was popular everywhere though, not just the West.

A these billion dollar movies are shared by peoples all over.
    Stop exporting shit like the Kardashians, etc.. No wonder everything falls apart. lol

You used to bless the world with the likes of Monroe, Russell, Bogart, Gable, Welles.. that's when stuff was still kind of awesome.
    And nowadays? The Kardashians and Chrisley's and the Duck Dynasty.. come on man..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    What worries me more is the pussification of the west (west eu that is). Its pretty disgusting to see men pussified.
    Too much safety has its cons. Am i the only one who thinks a fight every now and then is good for building character.

We're more united than we've ever been. With that said, it doesn't mean there aren't any concerns - e.g. the refugee crisis has really strained the unity of the EU lately.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Stop exporting shit like the Kardashians, etc.. No wonder everything falls apart. lol

You used to bless the world with the likes of Monroe, Russell, Bogart, Gable, Welles.. that's when stuff was still kind of awesome.
    And nowadays? The Kardashians and Chrisley's and the Duck Dynasty.. come on man..
    Cannonball adderley, miles Davis, bill evans, Lou reed.... People that have been as influential as the greatest poets and philosophers of the past.... What happened to those days?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ynnady View Post
    What worries me more is the pussification of the west (west eu that is). Its pretty disgusting to see men pussified.
    Too much safety has its cons. Am i the only one who thinks a fight every now and then is good for building character.
    Nope, you're right. We have no balls and thats worrying.

the MIDwest and the valleys are doing fine, its you mother fucking people on the coasts that fuck everything up. Literally, youre the worst type of person.

If i were trump id build two walls, one on the western side of the rockies and one on the eastern side of the appalachians.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

When was Europe united in history? Sometimes I wonder if people are dead ignorant or simply trolling.

The majority is united in the belief that equality, freedom and human rights are things we need to strive for and protect in our society. This is slowly improving around the world, and I'm optimistic about our future.
    Mother pus bucket!

Nothing unites people quite like a common enemy. Of course, many governments, despots, and religions have used that to hold power over the people. The very thing that unites many people, is used to divide other groups of people. The Red Scare was no different than the fear of Islam. In both cases, the people in power are creating the problem, and the masses become zealots. Religions use sin and immorality as a justification to join one group of people against another. In the end, it's just one group of assholes who want to control people, and do it in a very efficient manner.

If you really want to unite people, teach them that all humans deserve freedom, not just the ones you identify with closest. Of course, that belief goes contrary to those who wish to be in power.