Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gtx 1080 Non-Founders edition boards

Does anyone know when non-founders edition gtx 1080 will be available? I am sick of seeing 900 dollar overpriced founders editions in limited quantities. I am ok paying 599, but 899? I'll just stick with my gtx 780 (still a beast)

Punting this to the more appropriate forum location, there's usually more computer tech savvy people hanging out around here.

Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    Does anyone know when non-founders edition gtx 1080 will be available? I am sick of seeing 900 dollar overpriced founders editions in limited quantities. I am ok paying 599, but 899? I'll just stick with my gtx 780 (still a beast)
    I'm waiting myself, I was thinking of getting the 1070 though because it's almost the same performance for half the price, but they are all sold out. Sucks too because my GTX 660Ti just went out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Punting this to the more appropriate forum location, there's usually more computer tech savvy people hanging out around here.
    I was totally about to suggest posting it in this sub forum. I was also going to link the 1080 thread that ran for like god knows how many pages, but it seems to have died about a week ago >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    I was totally about to suggest posting it in this sub forum. I was also going to link the 1080 thread that ran for like god knows how many pages, but it seems to have died about a week ago >.<
    They all moved to the Polaris thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Theyre already a available, as stock permits. I have an order in for an EVGA ACX 3.0 1080, itll ship when they get stock in.

Yeah usually if a large thread dies out, it's better to start a new thread for a question like this to get attention.

Hopefully OP can get some form of an idea from here, this forum location is pretty helpful, but I'm not sure if there's even an idea for something like this, except for many based on past situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Theyre already a available, as stock permits. I have an order in for an EVGA ACX 3.0 1080, itll ship when they get stock in.
    Where did you order?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    They all moved to the Polaris thread.
    Yeah, I got that one bookmarked too. Thinking of getting a 480 maybe in a couple of month. I'm a peasant though and I want a 1440p monitor too so gotta get saved up

Shouldn't have any problems running a 1440p main monitor and 2x 1080p side monitors (for videos and browsing, not triple screen gaming) should I? To be fair I mostly only play video content when I'm playing WoW (and easy game to have extra media play alongside )

I'm hoping my i5 2500k will last a couple more year, I've OC'd it to 4.5ghz without voltage tweaks, could probably get it higher with actual fiddling overclocks (got 4.5 purely upping the multiplier).

Sorry for off topic

Yeah, I got that one bookmarked too. Thinking of getting a 480 maybe in a couple of month. I'm a peasant though and I want a 1440p monitor too so gotta get saved up

Shouldn't have any problems running a 1440p main monitor and 2x 1080p side monitors (for videos and browsing, not triple screen gaming) should I? To be fair I mostly only play video content when I'm playing WoW (and easy game to have extra media play alongside )

I'm hoping my i5 2500k will last a couple more year, I've OC'd it to 4.5ghz without voltage tweaks, could probably get it higher with actual fiddling overclocks (got 4.5 purely upping the multiplier).

Sorry for off topic
    I actually have 2500k as well, not OCed.... Not sure how much of a performance I would get from OCing it. I was actually thinking of upgrading my whole system but according to some 2500k is still decent CPU and doesn't warrant an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah usually if a large thread dies out, it's better to start a new thread for a question like this to get attention.

Hopefully OP can get some form of an idea from here, this forum location is pretty helpful, but I'm not sure if there's even an idea for something like this, except for many based on past situations like this.
    Thanks, I was actually intending to post this computer forums. Need more coffee!

10+ Year Old Account
    With a good cooler (i have a bequiet darkrock pro 2 (or something like that)) you can take it from base 3.3 to around 4.4 just by upping the multiplier in the bios and doing nothing else. That's about a 30% increase on clock speed. Do it incrementally of course and try to not murder it

But yeah, I don't have any major issues with it, but I'm not sure if going to 1440p will need a bit more cpu power too, or purely graphical power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious what games/programs people are using that require such beastly graphics cards. I still seem to be running everything on Ultra just fine with my R9 270X.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm curious what games/programs people are using that require such beastly graphics cards. I still seem to be running everything on Ultra just fine with my R9 270X.
    I'm getting new gpu for VR actually (where any lag is terrible), but 1440p resolution is pretty demanding in a number of games actually.

Rendering stuff in 4k to Supersample uses a bit more power, even WoW uses about 75% of my 980 Ti with 4x SSAA + CMAA enabled. Ark is another game that takes a lot to run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also pretty satisfied with 40 FPS.

With a good cooler (i have a bequiet darkrock pro 2 (or something like that)) you can take it from base 3.3 to around 4.4 just by upping the multiplier in the bios and doing nothing else. That's about a 30% increase on clock speed. Do it incrementally of course and try to not murder it

But yeah, I don't have any major issues with it, but I'm not sure if going to 1440p will need a bit more cpu power too, or purely graphical power.

All you did was increase multiplier? Nothing else? I have a stock cooler, I don't want water cooler, I'll just get air cooler

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to run two WoW clients side by side on 1080p monitors, to maintain high fps when switching I tend to drop one to lower settings. This is usually (but not always) when for example I'm camping world bosses on one client whilst running dungeons or levelling on another.

I'm hoping that most of that is GPU work so I could run both on Ultra. I also tend to pick up higher quality games when they go down in price so I pick up "big" games on Steam for like 3 quid. So far my GTX 570 tends to do quite well, but the newer the games the lower I need to drop a few settings, or more my frames suffer. After 5 years I think a nice upgrade is worth it (though as i say i want a 480, not a 1080)

With regards to the question in general, some people want to play 4k or 1440p triple monitors or whatever and need beefier cards, and some people just have far too much money and want the newest shinies

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    All you did was increase multiplier? Nothing else? I have a stock cooler, I don't want water cooler, I'll just get air cooler
    Yup, slid the multiplier up slowly. I stopped at 45x though, doubt it would go much higher anyway. Definitely don't do it on stock cooler, my cooler is: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/.../DarkRockPro2/ but I know people use things like the Noctua ND412 (or something like that) or others.

If I get to the point I'd consider getting a new CPU, I'd probably try risking upping the clock some more, but then you have to fiddle with voltages and shit, so risk increases too, I'm not financially in a situation where I can just drop a few hundred on a new cpu (and mobo) cos "lol wanted more ghz".

You are playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Ultra@1440p with a 270X? A 390X averages 41.3 FPS so I'm betting the 270X is a slideshow at those settings.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A..._STRIX/19.html

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? Even the 1080 can not average 60 FPS at 1440p on Ultra, yet your 270X is?

What about GTA:V? At 1440p Ultra the 390X is averaging 50.9. I'm sure the 270X is outperforming the 390X though, right?

Shall I go on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You are playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Ultra@1440p with a 270X? A 390X averages 41.3 FPS so I'm betting the 270X is a slideshow at those settings.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A..._STRIX/19.html

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? Even the 1080 can not average 60 FPS at 1440p on Ultra, yet your 270X is?

What about GTA:V? At 1440p Ultra the 390X is averaging 50.9. I'm sure the 270X is outperforming the 390X though, right?

Shall I go on?
    Wow, a bit touchy? I never suggested the 270X outperformed the 390X. I was just asking what people were using these high end cards for.

I have a 1080p monitor, not 1440p, and the only one of those games I play is GTA V, and then only very occasionally. Seems to run fine on Ultra, but then I'm also pretty comfortable with 40 FPS.

Do you raid too? A lot of sprites will slow your screen down if you don't have a good card, even if you normally run at 60FPS