Almost 3 days ago, Box office was at 308 million. Today it is 310. Did it only make 2 million in 3 days?

Nah,also some countries are not even listed there,smaller ones but again

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Almost 3 days ago, Box office was at 308 million. Today it is 310. Did it only make 2 million in 3 days?
    BOM isn't really "up to date". At least 1 day behind at lots of estimates.

10+ Year Old Account
    They only counted the US Box Office for wednesday, the rest hasn't been updated since the 12th/13th.

Deleted
    I wonder how much of that "400+ million to break even" is due to Hollywood accounting. What Warcraft actually needs to make to turn a profit could be in reality significantly lower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    I wonder how much of that "400+ million to break even" is due to Hollywood accounting. What Warcraft actually needs to make to turn a profit could be in reality significantly lower.
    The estimate is around $500 million and it very much makes sense
    The entire budget with production and marketing is about $270 million, so $500 million is a little less than 2x the budget which is expected

Is it like this?

400+ million = Small chance for sequel.
    450+ million = Good, but not guaranteed chance for sequel
    500+ million = Guaranteed sequel.

https://twitter.com/Mucrush/status/743553316966273024

- - - Updated - - -

Is it like this?

yes, more or less

Deleted
    So basically, Gul'dan wants to fuck the shit outta Draka.

Deleted
    Is it like this?

Pacific rim made 400 million with a budget of 200 mill (more than WC:tb) and it's getting a sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Regal Theaters must have run out of the warcraft free codes, few of my friends that are going to see it today didn't receive one
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    The Regal Theaters must have run out of the warcraft free codes, few of my friends that are going to see it today didn't receive one

Hey, if your friends still have their tickets make sure you tell them to ask the manager of the theater. They do have Codes. Happened to me and a few friends. The ticket person said he ran out then after we left the movie we passed near the ticket person (different guy) and asked him for codes since last guy said they ran out. This new guy pretty much said "I have no idea what to do with these codes, talk to my manager over there." And she opened a whole box full of codes (she didn't have to sice the ticket person had a new stack but had no idea wtf to so yeah... Not all employees got the memo... Or are just lazy to open a box of the codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    None of them are socially acceptable in that regard.
    Anyone not invested in video games would view the both of them as childish games for immature nerds.
    Nope, gaming is way more socially accepted now than it was 20 years ago. However, WoW is a very notable exception to this. If you say you play CoD, BF4 or FIFA nobody will frown upon you. Say you play WoW and see how people react. There's a huge stigma on WoW and it never went away. Even other gamers often look down upon WoW players.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Counter-point: It DOES deserve to be doing this badly. Not because of the movie, but because of the marketing. They botched that from the get-go and a disappointing domestic box office is exactly what they deserve for that fuck-up. The only trailer I saw that, imo, made the movie look watchable was the one I had to see on a grainy cell capture from whatever gaming expo/conference where they screened a special trailer that wasn't released to the mainstream. Who does that and why?
    The trailers and TV spots that were released to the mainstream weren't very good (again, imo) and didn't resonate with anyone who didn't play Warcraft (based on extensive hearing about it from friends and co-workers who know I play, I got universally negative reactions/opinons, and this was well before reviews started coming out. Especially after the techno music). It didn't help that there were so many trailers but were all practically the same, with maybe one shot different per... HEY DID YOU SEE THE GUY JUMP OFF THE THING AND LAND ON A FLYING GRYPHON? WE'RE NOT SURE YOU SAW THAT SCENE SO HERE IT IS 8 MORE TIMES.

Also, to whomever was in charge of this decision, releasing 80 different promotional posters of the same 6 people isn't going to sell your fucking movie. Why did you think this was a good idea and a practical and helpful use of your marketing budget?
    Oh, I agree that the marketing was absolutely atrocious. But that doesn't mean that the movie deserves to do this bad tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmart View Post
    The marketing for this movie was atrocious, on par with some of the worst I've ever seen. As a fan of Warcraft since WC3, I literally had no interest in the movie until watching some of the featurettes and reading reviews. Saying that, I still haven't seen it yet (am going on Saturday) but it has never been a *must see* for me compared to BvS, Civil War, Doctor Strange, 10 Cloverfield Lane ect. Good marketing sells movies EVEN to built in fandom's and this movie did not do well in that regard.

In terms of Box Office and budget, the 160 million budget does not include advertising which they supposedly spent close to 75 million towards. So saying that, the movie will be a positive game after its run is over. However, does this mean a sequel? I would say 50-50 on it, leaning towards no. Simply because if the built in audience didn't come in strong enough #'s for #1, why would they for #2 when sequelitis is a real thing people in the Industry are concerned about.
    It was obvious the people responsible for marketing had no idea wtf they were doing. They didn't know whether to go for general audiences or existing fans, so they came up with some sort of abomination trying to cater to both for a marketing campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There's nothing they could do: they showed all the impressive scenes, and even those that were missing. There was simply not enough material for quality marketing.
    That's absolutely bullshit. The PAX trailer was awesome but for some reason they never released it to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    How? They were already filmed and done. It's like buying a cheeseburger, removing the cheese before you eat it, and reason that the cheese would have made it more expensive, despite the fact it was already made and paid for.

Just saying how it sounds to me. The only reason they had to cut the time (IMO) is because they are hoping to cram in more run times. Which reminds me of the current state of WoW. They are looking at numbers and trying to squeeze out more money per item of content, when all peopel want is a quality game/movie.

2 hr and 40 minutes is not that big of a deal.
    That's not how movies work. Especially not CGI heavy movies like Warcraft. Until the film is released to the public they have a lot of cuts with incomplete CGI and special effects. Part of the scenes they removed were fully done and had high enough quality to be in the film, but a lot of it probably wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think they shouldve showed more of the comedy. marketed it more like a marvel movie than lotr

keep some of the action, put in more of the murloc, lothar insulting khadar, ogrim smacking the orc running after him.
    There wasn't really that much humor in it. Showing a murloc easter egg does nothing for non-Warcraft audiences. Making humor based trailers would just be false marketing and giving people wrong impressions about the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Badster View Post
    Don't know what you guys are worry about. The sequel is already in the bag. Even if it doesn't break even, the fact that this franchise opend that big in China makes it worth doing a sequel. That's probably the biggest chance for Hollywood to get their foot in the door of the worlds new biggest film market by 2017: China!
    They are not stuipid, and they will try everything to establish a Hollywood mad video game adaptation genre over there like marvel did with the superheroes in the US.

Good for us, this means we will probably get a lot more blizzard movies than we expected. And the even better thing: We dont have to worry about stupid muricas who give reviews up the ass, because nobody in china cares about them

- - - Updated - - -

The US cinema is in decline and the shot themselve in the leg by rating this a decent movie which set up a great franchise bad, which it obviously wasn't. HAHA
    The movie had an amazing opening during a Chinese holiday period, but the movie is in freefall. It's basically the same in every country. The loyal audiences and the friends they took with them all went on the opening weekend, and then afterwards hardly anyone goes because Warcraft does not interest general audiences and reviews weren't exactly helping to convince such people to go see the movie either. The movie is a 2 pump chump unfortunately in terms of performance. Great start, and nothing afterwards.

Pacific rim made 400 million with a budget of 200 mill (more than WC:tb) and it's getting a sequel.
    A lot of Pacific Rim's BO came from the US where the company doesn't lose out on a lot of the earnings. Pacific Rim 2 also struggled really hard to get a sequel greenlit, so it's not exactly a great example. I mentioned it before, the chances for a sequel basically lie upon investors willing to take a leap of faith based on the growth of the Chinese box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    Oh, I agree that the marketing was absolutely atrocious. But that doesn't mean that the movie deserves to do this bad tbh.
    Meh. I agree its not fair to the movie. But if your presentation is so botched you can't resonate with enough people to find an audience then you don't deserve an audience giving you money.

That's absolutely bullshit. The PAX trailer was awesome but for some reason they never released it to the public.
    Yes, that was the one thank you. This trailer was excellent. Part of me is fine with the movie tanking domestically based purely on spite for never releasing that trailer to a wide audience and instead shoving Variation #7 of the same 12 shots at us. I don't know who made that decision, but someone somewhere really, rreeeaalllllyyyy needs to get fired for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taro10 View Post
    Hey, if your friends still have their tickets make sure you tell them to ask the manager of the theater. They do have Codes. Happened to me and a few friends. The ticket person said he ran out then after we left the movie we passed near the ticket person (different guy) and asked him for codes since last guy said they ran out. This new guy pretty much said "I have no idea what to do with these codes, talk to my manager over there." And she opened a whole box full of codes (she didn't have to sice the ticket person had a new stack but had no idea wtf to so yeah... Not all employees got the memo... Or are just lazy to open a box of the codes.
    ill have them try

the theater is closed but they may be able to tomorrow or somthing
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

props to those who said Finding Dory won't matter much

first morning numbers in China: slightly behind WC. No2.

Shit. News to me! Great great news, but still news. Last I heard they made like 800-900 million worldwide though.

Correction. 101 mil domestic, like 400 mil overall.

Interesting they are taking another chance. Will look into this

... 190 million budget. So yeah, if that gets a sequel then I see no reason Warcraft cannot.

- - - Updated - - -

It is confirmed. My body is so ready for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    Nope, gaming is way more socially accepted now than it was 20 years ago. However, WoW is a very notable exception to this. If you say you play CoD, BF4 or FIFA nobody will frown upon you. Say you play WoW and see how people react. There's a huge stigma on WoW and it never went away. Even other gamers often look down upon WoW players.

It was obvious the people responsible for marketing had no idea wtf they were doing. They didn't know whether to go for general audiences or existing fans, so they came up with some sort of abomination trying to cater to both for a marketing campaign.

That's not how movies work. Especially not CGI heavy movies like Warcraft. Until the film is released to the public they have a lot of cuts with incomplete CGI and special effects. Part of the scenes they removed were fully done and had high enough quality to be in the film, but a lot of it probably wasn't.

There wasn't really that much humor in it. Showing a murloc easter egg does nothing for non-Warcraft audiences. Making humor based trailers would just be false marketing and giving people wrong impressions about the movie.

The movie had an amazing opening during a Chinese holiday period, but the movie is in freefall. It's basically the same in every country. The loyal audiences and the friends they took with them all went on the opening weekend, and then afterwards hardly anyone goes because Warcraft does not interest general audiences and reviews weren't exactly helping to convince such people to go see the movie either. The movie is a 2 pump chump unfortunately in terms of performance. Great start, and nothing afterwards.

A lot of Pacific Rim's BO came from the US where the company doesn't lose out on a lot of the earnings. Pacific Rim 2 also struggled really hard to get a sequel greenlit, so it's not exactly a great example. I mentioned it before, the chances for a sequel basically lie upon investors willing to take a leap of faith based on the growth of the Chinese box office.
    So what are they gonna do with the 40 minutes? Cause if it's going into the DC, they still have to polish it anyways. So in the end you still pay for it, so why not put it in the movie unless someone just straight up hated it, or wanted a shorter run time?

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying that if you are gonna release it anyway, why cut it from the movie just so you can make 2 hours? If the film was 3+ hours is buy that. But 2.40 total time is not an issue and I think the cutting hurt the film a lot more than it helped.

I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't disappointed. Video games don't translate well to movies. You'd have to ask an actual film critic the exact reasons why. I think there's just too much they have to fit into the story to keep it recognizable to fans, which makes it hard to pace it properly. You have to rush the story to fit everything in which makes it too jarring.

It was okay, definitely one of the better video game movies. By all accounts the director did a heroic job, for which we should all be thankful. It could have been much worse. But too much CGI. The orcs were technically impressive, but the male ones looked too derpy. Just way too big and their hands were out of proportion. The female orcs looked good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astronom View Post
    But too much CGI. The orcs were technically impressive, but the male ones looked too derpy. Just way too big and their hands were out of proportion. The female orcs looked good though.
    But that is how the orcs look in the Warcraft universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    But that is how the orcs look in the Warcraft universe...
    If we're going to argue then, then we should also argue that all the human men in the movie should have been CGI'ed to look like heavyweight boxers (including Khadgar).