Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Obesity and overweight ‘on the rise in nearly every country’

http://www.euronews.com/2016/06/16/o...every-country/

Here are four takeaways to digest from the Global Nutrition Report, which acts as a report card on the world’s progress in tackling problems in this area.
    Obesity and overweight is on the rise in nearly every country

The report paints a bleak picture for the number of people obese or overweight in the world.

It says the problem is ballooning in nearly every region and country, and that it represents a ‘staggering global challenge.’

Two fifths of the world’s five billion adults are overweight or obese, according to the report, while one-in-12 of this number suffer from type 2 diabetes, which can be caused, in part, by being heavier than is healthy.

The number of children under five who were overweight was 41 million in 2014, or, as a proportion, 6.1 percent. That is up from 31 million, or 4.8 percent, in 1990.

Albania, Libya, Montenegro and Georgia were the worst performers among the countries studied when it came to under fives being overweight – with a rate of around 20 percent or more.

The United States, Turkey, Libya, Lebanon and Qatar were among the countries where more than two-thirds of adults were overweight or obese.
    ‘Being malnourished is the new normal’

“One in three people suffer from some form of malnutrition,” said Lawrence Haddad, co-chair of the Global Nutrition Report. “We now live in a world where being malnourished is the new normal. It is a world that we must all claim as totally unacceptable.”

Malnutrition can cover a wide gamut of health problems, including obesity, anemia and stunting, where children do not grow as tall as others of the same age.

The report claims 11 percent of GDP is lost in Asia and Africa each year because of malnutrition and that it puts a ‘massive strain on already fragile health systems’.

Overall, it says, the world is off-course when it comes to hitting targets agreed at the 2013 World Health Assembly, including a 40 percent reduction in the number of children under five who are stunted.
    Enough is enough. How much data do we need before we take serious action against this crisis?
    At the very least it's time to come down with some really high taxes on unhealthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Enough is enough. How many fatshaming threads do we need before someone takes serious action against this?
    That's my take on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's my take on it.
    Lina I'm not sure how reporting a story about the rise of an epidemic is equivalent to fatshaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How much data do we need before we take serious action against this crisis?
    Serious action such as what? Do you have a few specific examples to give?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You beat me to it.

Just the simple suggestion of the green party in Germany to maaaaybe consider not eating meat every day (which was not even going against obese people, but more in the direction of common sense and what the WHO suggest anyhow) caused a shitstorm.

You already have calories and nutrition info on packages, some countries have a traffic light system to indicate high amounts of sugar or fat on food, but as long as (like now with the soccer EM) you enter a supermarket and a wall of crisps and assorted TV snacks greets you, all at a "special price" and advertised by your soccer heroes - people just ignore how bad the shit is and only know how good they taste. And buy. And eat
    One conceivable option is to adopt scare labeling for junk food like they have on cigarettes. If every bag of chips or can of soda was required by law to have a picture of a really fat guy on it, that could have a pretty significant effect on consumer behavior, especially since most junk food relies so heavily on branding and loud packaging to sell.

My 5 month old is kinda fat and I am afraid. He's my first kid so I have no idea what is normal. He looks like a little sumo almost.

He doesn't live with me so I have no idea how much his mom feeds him. Anyway, the moment he can walk and we live together his ass is playing at least a few hours everyday with me. He's too young to have a stroke

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    My 5 month old is kinda fat and I am afraid. He's my first kid so I have no idea what is normal. He looks like a little sumo almost.

He doesn't live with me so I have no idea how much his mom feeds him. Anyway, the moment he can walk and we live together his ass is playing at least a few hours everyday with me. He's too young to have a stroke
    A 5 month old baby is supposed to be chubby.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    One conceivable option is to adopt scare labeling for junk food like they have on cigarettes. If every bag of chips or can of soda was required by law to have a picture of a really fat guy on it, that could have a pretty significant effect on consumer behavior, especially since most junk food relies so heavily on branding and loud packaging to sell.
    But then again, what about the perfectly healthy guys who want a bag of chips for the movie night with their pals? Is it fair to subject the masses to discomfort for the sake of the few? Cigarettes are universally bad for everyone who consumes them, while fat foods are only bad in excessive amounts.

Deleted
    Are you surprised? In here, McDonalds and other shit places like this are popping up like mushrooms, allowed to be built close to schools even.
    This is not going to change anytime so. Focus on keeping you and your family fit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not a health expert or doctor but could people try and do some portion control when they eat. I do work at a restaurant and don't think a family of 4 need 1 X-Extra large sausage pizza, 3 cheeseburger baskets(fries) and 1 chocolate cake. It does sound delicious but probably is going over your caloric requirements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post

eheh it's ok to be fat at 5 months dont worry man. He's not fat. That's healthy fat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    People are free to eat whatever they want. If obesity rates go up, it goes up, if it goes down, it goes down.

Not something politicians should be nannying over.
    Of course it is. Obesity comes with a lot of issues and expenses on society. Society should educate people about the dangers of eating shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    eheh it's ok to be fat at 5 months dont worry man. He's not fat. That's healthy fat

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it is. Obesity comes with a lot of issues and expenses on society. Society should educate people about the dangers of eating shit.
    Baby fat is the most adorable, right behind it is puppy fat

Oh it's the Tennisball again with another fat thread. Do you guys think he just has like a trollfeed of these topics he prepares while waiting to be unbanned? To post them in a rapid succession of shitposting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    People are free to eat whatever they want. If obesity rates go up, it goes up, if it goes down, it goes down.

Not something politicians should be nannying over.
    So who's gonna pay for the healthcare bills exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Serious action such as what? Do you have a few specific examples to give?
    Obviously, Tennisace would put them down like the beasts they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Oh it's the Tennisball again with another fat thread. Do you guys think he just has like a trollfeed of these topics he prepares while waiting to be unbanned? To post them in a rapid succession of shitposting?
    It's been rumoured that he prepares a huge list of topics so he can maximise the time he's unbanned before a mod strolls by and casually renews the ban for another 2 weeks or so.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's been rumoured that he prepares a huge list of topics so he can maximise the time he's unbanned before a mod strolls by and casually renews the ban for another 2 weeks or so.
    I'm actually rooting for the new "sponsored posts" bullshit, if it turns out to make money for Curse maybe they'll let the mods perma these jackasses. A man can dream...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I hate how social justicey he is, but hes not even wrong with this thread so ill let it slide

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're happy about being fat, good for you. If you wish better health and to look better physically then go for it, you can even PM me for help.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ace, there is a place for your obsession, there is a Sports and Fitness forum that provides a much better soapbox.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I hate how social justicey he is, but hes not even wrong with this thread so ill let it slide
    It's the snobbish attitude that really gets me; "Look at all these things plaguing the world! Look how awesome Canada is because we don't have these problems! Why can't you be more like us?" May as well be calling us plebeians.