Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yet the multiculturalism version which Canada has is proven to be the better approach. Just read the article.
    You realize Canada has one of the most restrictive, difficult immigration policies of the western world right? That and a couple oceans, no poor surrounding countries (Mexico), and people get the naive impression that all immigrants are great.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Well if thats how you measure diversity, which seems lidke a very roundabout way of doing it then you might be onto something. If you ask the simple question which most people would answer, which is how much of Canada ISN'T white, you get something like 16%, which is actually close to the top of the pack for Europe in general. Though I should mention that out of the "top 4" minorities in Canada, 3 include "South Asian", "Chinese" and "Philipino", which if thats the standard you're trying to use to determine who is Xenophobic then I'd tend to agree that Canada is not xenophobic.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo52a-eng.htm
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...y-diverse.html
    Using more recent data Canada has a white population of 76.7% or 23.3% visible minority:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ity_population

Original source:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2...ustom=&TABID=1

Also, you're using a forum post as a source?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    But even then, according the UNHCR, Germany has 573,828 refugees (as 2015) with a total population of 80.62 million. That's 0.712% of the population.

Canada has a total refugee population 163,644 with a population of 35.16 million, or 0.465%. Yes it's higher, but not staggeringly higher.

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/v...query=mid-2015
    Mid-2015 is not now though, how many did Germany take in compared to Canada since that data? Germany closd their borders in November 2015, so there is 4-5 months of refugees arriving unaccounted at peak flow for in the data you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    25.000 refugees...
    While I think it's awesome how the Canadians react. But would it be the same if that number would be 420.000?
    Because, that would be the equivalent of what Germany took (82 mio / 1 mio refugees). Total muslim population 5.5% (4.5 mio).

Like I said, I cheer for Canada, but the numbers are just not comparable that simple.
    Dear god if that happened. Canada would go downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    News at 11: Canada suffers an unprecedented outbreak of crime, assault and hate crimes. The country's leaders are dumbfounded.
    As a Canadian citizen, I am indeed waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean, I'm happy we can keep 25,000 people from falling into gods only know what horrible situations if they'd stayed homeless migrants or worse, stayed in Syria, and most of them seem to be genuinely reasonable and/or good people. But at the same time 25,000 people over four months is not enough time to screen out the baddies; what happens when we get attacked just because we're next door to the US?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Mid-2015 is not now though, how many did Germany take in compared to Canada since that data? Germany closd their borders in November 2015, so there is 4-5 months of refugees arriving unaccounted at peak flow for in the data you are using.
    Well yes, but do you have any more recent data for the amount of refugees Germany currently has and how many Canada currently has? People keep saying Canada only has 25,000 refugees but that's simply not true. 25,000 is only the number of government sponsored Syrian refugees. That doesn't include private sponsorships or non-Syrian refugees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yes, but do you have any more recent data for the amount of refugees Germany currently has and how many Canada currently has? People keep saying Canada only has 25,000 refugees but that's simply not true. 25,000 is only the number of government sponsored Syrian refugees. That doesn't include private sponsorships or non-Syrian refugees.
    Estimates for Germany are about 1 million, which is presumably why Wildtree used it.

You can not really compare Germany to Canada, Germany went completely bonkers with refugees. Canada also screened refugees, so got to pick and choose who they would take.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can not really compare Germany to Canada, Germany went completely bonkers with refugees. Canada also screened refugees, so got to pick and choose who they would take.
    But that's exactly what @Wildtree did... compared Canada to Germany... using a provably false number for the Canadian refugees.

10+ Year Old Account
    They gave two figures, total Muslim population (4.5m) and refugees (1.0m).

The 420,000 represents the equivalent number of refugees that Canada would need to take before reaching the level that Germany has taken, based on population differences.

At least that is how I read it.
    Correct, and the Canadian total Muslim population was mentioned too, that's why I gave both figures.

- - - Updated - - -

But that's exactly what @Wildtree did... compared Canada to Germany... using a provably false number for the Canadian refugees.
    I have used the numbers provided in the OP, for Canada.
    For Germany I used the 1 mio refugees plus the current population data of 4.5 mio Muslims.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you stick a zero on the end of his number it still does not come close to the German equivalent.

Has Canada taken in anywhere near 420,000 refugees? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you stick a zero on the end of his number it still does not come close to the German equivalent.

Canada has 35 mio population, Germany has 82 mio. That's the basis for the math.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada has 35 mio population, Germany has 82 mio. That's the basis for the math.
    Thanks dad.

I kind of worked that out by myself, but thanks anyway.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

I never once said Canada had the same number or more refugees as Germany. I said Canada has more than 25,000 refugees and provided statistics sourced from the organization that handles world refugees to show that the gap between Germany and Canada is not as a large as everyone is making it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks dad.

I kind of worked that out by myself, but thanks anyway.
    Wasn't for you though. I know you've a phd in smartassing

- - - Updated - - -

I never once said Canada had the same number or more refugees as Germany. I said Canada has more than 25,000 refugees and provided statistics sourced from the organization that handles world refugees to show that the gap between Germany and Canada is not as a large as everyone is making it out to be.
    We are going by the OP numbers....

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have used the numbers provided in the OP, for Canada.
    For Germany I used the 1 mio refugees plus the current population data of 4.5 mio Muslims.
    Ah, I didn't actually read Tennisace's post, as it's Tennisace and Vox. But the 25,000 number is wrong. 25,000 is the number of government sponsored Syrian refugees and does not include private sponsorship.

The most up to date official statistics that I can find have Canada at 163,644 refugees and 573,828 for Germany. This is for all refugees, not just Syrian refugees. I don't know why Vox thinks the number of Syrian refugees specifically has any more impact on the xenophobia in Canada compared to other refugees.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong about the 25,000 not including the private sponsorships. Pretty sure I read some where that was just the number of government sponsorships but I can't find that source anymore and everything else says it includes both. That being said I still stand by my last paragraph about Vox and the UNHCR statistics.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-06-17 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I didn't actually read Tennisace's post...
    That is generally the sensible option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    It's not xenophobic, we're just trying to protect our beavers.
    Hey...why would I hunt beavers? I love them!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    As a Canadian citizen, I am indeed waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean, I'm happy we can keep 25,000 people from falling into gods only know what horrible situations if they'd stayed homeless migrants or worse, stayed in Syria, and most of them seem to be genuinely reasonable and/or good people. But at the same time 25,000 people over four months is not enough time to screen out the baddies; what happens when we get attacked just because we're next door to the US?
    Well. Then you get called names for not "understanding their culture"
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Deleted
    A country that cherry picks its immigrants has a better success rate with them?

Surely not, that sounds like fantasy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Canada, if I'm not mistaken, is also the most homogeneous country in the Western World. You'd expect the reaction to adverse immigration to occur after you've been exposed to it, rather than before.
    You're precisely wrong.

Canada is the least homogeneous country in the developed world, we're actually in the top 20 most diverse countries in the world (not just the developed world!).

Edit: And yes, we cherry-pick refugees. Get over it.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-06-17 at 09:30 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter