Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Legion beta and Geforce 1080 GTX Founders Edition

Hello guys,

I've just replaced a 780 by a 1080 FE, running the beta in 1440p and i've noticed that the game is VERY slow. In Ultra with only CMAA, I get like 50 fps in the same zones where I get 90 fps on live (vertical sync off obviously). Also a weird thing, when I look around it get stuck like 0 fps for like 1 second and go back to normal slow.

I've tried running some benchmarks and also other games and the performances seems normal (nice fps and stuff).

Anyone tried that ? Any ideas ?

PS : I know it's a new card and Legion is beta...

Such things have more often to do with nvidia not yet up to date with their driver optimisation because its really a brand new card.

But it could also just be a not yet happened optimisation pass for beta or beta background programs that gather "beta" data for blizzard slowing the client down.

I wouldnt be too worried as long as your drivers are up to date and other games are working normal.

Edit: did you correctly uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new card ?, maybe something is conflicting on the driver side.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2016-06-17 at 11:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    Such things have more often to do with nvidia not yet up to date with their driver optimisation because its really a brand new card.

But it could also just be a not yet happened optimisation pass for beta or beta background programs that gather "beta" data for blizzard slowing the client down.

I wouldnt be too worried as long as your drivers are up to date and other games are working normal.

Edit: did you correctly uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new card ?, maybe something is conflicting on the driver side.
    Yes yes I did that, and yes you might be right about the card being "too new" to get optimized drivers.

I havent tried that many other games yet but it seems smooth on WoW live, (in CMAA at least), FPS goes down with the last AA option but I guess it's kinda normal ?

I get 60 fps in Elite Dangerous, and that's about it, I will download and run Star Citizen tomorrow to try to spot if it's really not a problem on my side.

Thanks for your answer !

There's a bug in WoW since patch 6.1 where performance will drop to almost nothing if you change the render scale setting while having shadows on anything but the minimum setting. For me this resulted in doubling or tripling my FPS when setting shadows to lowest vs the next setting up and you may still be experiencing this in the legion beta, considering the bug has been in the live game for a year or so.

Deleted
    Oh ok I didnt know about that ! I'll make sure to try changing the shadows level and see what happens, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Maldorhan View Post
    Yes yes I did that, and yes you might be right about the card being "too new" to get optimized drivers.

I havent tried that many other games yet but it seems smooth on WoW live, (in CMAA at least), FPS goes down with the last AA option but I guess it's kinda normal ?

I get 60 fps in Elite Dangerous, and that's about it, I will download and run Star Citizen tomorrow to try to spot if it's really not a problem on my side.

Thanks for your answer !
    If by last AA option you mean MSAA yes its very taxing on a system in nearly every games, but nothing your 1080 wouldnt able to handle in WoW, shouldnt be a problem to be honest unless you play in 4k.

Also if your playing in 1440p with MSAA you wouldnt really need the renderscale option unless your not satisfied with aliasing of jagged lines, renderscale on 200% basically means that you run the game on twice the resolution.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2016-06-18 at 12:08 AM.

Deleted
    If by last AA option you mean MSAA yes its very taxing on a system in nearly every games, but nothing your 1080 wouldnt able to handle in WoW, shouldnt be a problem to be honest unless you play in 4k.

Also if your playing in 1440p with MSAA you wouldnt really need the renderscale option unless your not satisfied with aliasing of jagged lines, renderscale on 200% basically means that you run the game on twice the resolution.
    I just checked about render scale and it's set to 100%, on live about the AA I was talking about "SSAA 4X + CMAA".

MSAA seems running relatively fine.

I just checked about render scale and it's set to 100%, on live about the AA I was talking about "SSAA 4X + CMAA".

MSAA seems running relatively fine.
    Try to use only CMAA and see how it goes and how it looks to you, maybe try to fiddle with the draw distance because they doubled the draw distance in legion, that was the only way i could manage 60fps most of the time in beta with a mix of high/ultra on my ageing 780.

But i just go out on a limb and say that the fault is on nvidias side to be honest because the 1080 is state of the art and should even handle wow over 60fps in 4k no problem.

Deleted
    Try to use only CMAA and see how it goes and how it looks to you, maybe try to fiddle with the draw distance because they doubled the draw distance in legion, that was the only way i could manage 60fps most of the time in beta with a mix of high/ultra on my ageing 780.
    Alright thank you ! To be honest I was expecting the 1080 GTX to run amazingly well on WoW but as a MMO it's not as simple as that ! With CMAA @1440p/Ultra I get 60 fps most of the time with some downs to 40-35 fps in some places for unknown reasons, new Dalaran for exemple.

Alright thank you ! To be honest I was expecting the 1080 GTX to run amazingly well on WoW but as a MMO it's not as simple as that ! With CMAA @1440p/Ultra I get 60 fps most of the time with some downs to 40-35 fps in some places for unknown reasons, new Dalaran for exemple.
    Ye also in valshara i dip as low as 20fps in the beta so dunno we only know how it runs when it comes out so long just update the driver when an update comes and your part should be done.

Deleted
    Ye also in valshara i dip as low as 20fps in the beta so dunno we only know how it runs when it comes out so long just update the driver when an update comes and your part should be done.
    I'll check that in Valshara, thanks again for your help !

Hello guys,

I've just replaced a 780 by a 1080 FE, running the beta in 1440p and i've noticed that the game is VERY slow. In Ultra with only CMAA, I get like 50 fps in the same zones where I get 90 fps on live (vertical sync off obviously). Also a weird thing, when I look around it get stuck like 0 fps for like 1 second and go back to normal slow.

I've tried running some benchmarks and also other games and the performances seems normal (nice fps and stuff).

Anyone tried that ? Any ideas ?

PS : I know it's a new card and Legion is beta...
    I've got exact same issue on same resolution with same card. And i7 5930K... Im guessing drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Report it to Blizz and Nvida. Specs wise that card should be tearing Legion a new asshole. Something isn't right.

Sounds like you're CPU limited at those times.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might want to double check that your new card is actually enabled as well. If you're not CPU limited it may simply be that you're running it off of the cpu rather than your video card. I ran WoW at 90 FPS on an intel I5 with no graphics card for a month or two before I got a decent card. Try a newer gen FPS game with a framerate counter. Ya never know

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Report it to Blizz and Nvida. Specs wise that card should be tearing Legion a new asshole. Something isn't right.
    Yes that's exactly what I expected from this card... Gonna report that on the beta

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    Sounds like you're CPU limited at those times.
    Got a i7 4770K though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    I've got exact same issue on same resolution with same card. And i7 5930K... Im guessing drivers.
    Ahhh "good" to know, thanks mate ! Let's keep testing that with next builds /drivers then

Yeah the beta is a bit wierd like that.
    My old 970 preforms about as well as my new 1080.

But thats what you get for buy brand new stuff. It'll be fixed soon enough... I hope.

Deleted
    It's the drivers/game not being done proper yet, I got 1080 sli and even I notice it's just not running smooth enough.

I don't have a beta but i was on PTR and while Live runs buttery smooth on everything on ultra with sunshafts and hd water turned off (i dont like new water, prefer classic one) tho i have doubled groundclutter density/distance maxed out and i have to say Legion runs terrible, i was toying with stuff and i cant to get it right, it runs kinda bad.
    gtx 770

Report, report, report. I'm planning on a 1070 and would love for them to have this shit figured out by then.