Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    How the fuck could Now You See Me 2 be beating Warcraft? That movie sucked complete ass.
    Because Warcraft sucks even more ass if you aren't already a fan of fantasy or the games? Not that hard to figure out. It's a giant turd that some people are trying to polish and make into a shiny gem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    as I said before nobody in our communities is going to say Finding Dory is a top movie warranting maybe 800-1 billion at the box office.

Younger girls are fans of that movie. Younger kids and their families are going to see it.

Back to Warcraft, it is an uphill battle because the general audience are not that interested and fan boys' numbers are declining.

China has a deal in place, it will still going to screen it in most theaters for another 2 weeks and likely several days beyond that.

It is not going to be a financial hit but it is not a flop. I still believe that because revenues are not just BO numbers.

When you consider future TV deals with the average BO numbers worldwide, it is still going to make a small profit.
    Weird. I'm a straight male in my 30's with a fiance who saw Finding Dory and found it much more enjoyable than Warcraft. I even voted for it in that twitter poll... And the China thing is going to end up losing them some of their profits based on all evidence currently available. They aren't coming close to filling those theaters even halfway.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Sorry, but you're 100% incorrect. They didn't spend $250M on advertising(which is what it would have taken to make $1B the breakeven). At most the film cost $400M(outside estimates with marketing) and it has cleared close to $900M. Warcraft cost $260M with advertising and won't make near $520M WW. Get up on it kid.
    no, im not incorrect.

the original cut of batman vs superman was 6 hours long. and it had one of the biggest marketing campaigns ever. and it was a movie featuring two of the most recognizable and known characters IN THE WORLD.

batman vs superman shouldve made alot more money than it did. its a movie where batman and superman fight eachother, it shouldve been one of the highest grossing movies of all time, it shouldve done star wars numbers. the reviews came out and despite its amazing opening, the ticket sales dropped off a god damn cliff.

- - - Updated - - -

as I said before nobody in our communities is going to say Finding Dory is a top movie warranting maybe 800million -1+ billion at the box office.

Younger girls are fans of that movie. Younger kids and their families are going to see it.

Back to Warcraft, it is an uphill battle because the general audience are not that interested and fan boys' numbers are declining.

China has a deal in place, it will still going to screen it in most theaters for another 2 weeks and likely several days beyond that.

It is not going to be a financial hit but it is not a flop. I still believe that because revenues are not just BO numbers.

When you consider future TV deals with the average BO numbers worldwide, it is still going to make a small profit.
    tv deals, dvd sales. and theres also a shit ton of merch for the movie.

theres statues, plushys, novels, comics, stuffed animals (although i dont know how the revenue gets divided on this, it could be blizzard gets all the merch revenue and the film studio gets nothing. for example fox gets a percentage of all x-men film merchandise as part of their deal, but sony doesnt get any money off spider-man merchandise and never have)

- - - Updated - - -

another example of a character/franchise having a bad outing.

amazing spider-man 2 literally made zero money for sony. leaked emails during the hack showed that they went completely over budget and sony didnt see a dime.

however, i doubt anyone is saying spider-man being in civil war or his solo movie isnt worth the venture.

because, there is clear potential there. spider-man is the most well known comic book character in the world and worldwide makes the most money, more than any other superhero.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    no, im not incorrect.

the original cut of batman vs superman was 6 hours long. and it had one of the biggest marketing campaigns ever. and it was a movie featuring two of the most recognizable and known characters IN THE WORLD.

batman vs superman shouldve made alot more money than it did. its a movie where batman and superman fight eachother, it shouldve been one of the highest grossing movies of all time, it shouldve done star wars numbers. the reviews came out and despite its amazing opening, the ticket sales dropped off a god damn cliff.
    Please, show me some evidence that they spent $250M on advertising. Please. The reported budget was $250M, so unless you find that other $250M(which they didn't spend on marketing) then your math is 100% incorrect. And it should have made a lot more than it did? 11% is a lot more now? Doesn't sound like it to me. You're wrong, get over it kid.

Deleted
    Weird, it's sitting fresh with audiences on RT and around the same rating with audiences on IMDB as Warcraft. Are you sure you're not just focusing on the people who didn't like that film while only focusing on the ones who did like Warcraft?
    The Internet has a very vocal "Snyder Apologists" minority, who, much like the Anti-TFA people ("because the (Star Wars) Prequels were masterpieces, you people are just too stupid to understand them, & Lucas' genius!") very vocally decry any attempt by anyone to make MoS & BvS out to be anything but a epic masterpieces.

BvS' RT audience score sits at 66% positive, but aside from the dedicated "Man of Steel was a masterpiece!" Snyder fanboys, "Average Joes" coming out of the theatres were more along the lines of "yeah, sure...... it's okay, I guess?" to flat-out "what the fuck was that?" I keep finding.

It's harder to judge with Warcraft, I admit (far smaller audience), but the fans generally seem to like it, even though many (like myself) are exceptions to that, taking issue with anything from wanting an adaptation that was more loyal to the source material, to just generally taking issue with Duncan Jones' directing, etc.

Far as IMDB ratings - they're never objective with CBMs & established IP's in general these days. There's always "Marvel Fanboys" & "DC Fanboys"/"DC Apologists" waiting for the next movie to unlock just so they can auto-1/10 it while claiming whatever. Even Warcraft, from the moment it opened was flooded with 1/10's & 10/10's. I remember one review in particular - "10/10 - just give it a chance..... I haven't actually seen it yet -" yeah, 'nuff said.

Footnote: Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 56% critics, 65% audience. Look at it now - dead, even though it's only a few points off from BvS.
    Last edited by mmoc34c31092a9; 2016-06-19 at 02:14 AM.

I read exactly what was written. You claim the box office is only based on marketing. Sorry, but that only applies to opening weekend. The resulting drops in box office are entirely based on the quality of the film we received. As such, all evidence points to it being a giant piece of shit that only fans are finding redeeming qualities in(be they fans of the games or the genre itself).

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but the truth is neither cruel nor severe. It is simply the truth. If you find it to be harsh that's because you're closing your eyes to reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Weird, it's sitting fresh with audiences on RT and around the same rating with audiences on IMDB as Warcraft. Are you sure you're not just focusing on the people who didn't like that film while only focusing on the ones who did like Warcraft?
    First of all, I didn't say box office is ONLY based on marketing (although it plays a big role). I said that box office only implies the people who have actually decided to go and see the film. Now, we don't know whether the numbers are affected by marketing/video game stigma (impressions etc), word of mouth, reviews or WHATEVER. Even though one could argue it seems like the majority of the audience who actually saw it were positive (check ratings) so far. My main point though is that you saying the box office results are based on it being a BAD movie is not a known fact like you imply. Anyway, I'm done arguing with someone who uses a strawman.

Because Warcraft sucks even more ass if you aren't already a fan of fantasy or the games? Not that hard to figure out. It's a giant turd that some people are trying to polish and make into a shiny gem.

- - - Updated - - -

Weird. I'm a straight male in my 30's with a fiance who saw Finding Dory and found it much more enjoyable than Warcraft. I even voted for it in that twitter poll... And the China thing is going to end up losing them some of their profits based on all evidence currently available. They aren't coming close to filling those theaters even halfway.
    Lol. I was talking about gamers and not any wifes or GFs of the gaming community.

Sure Chinese companies will reel in money but TV deals in China are going to make a ton too.

Piracy is a thing they had found a decent way to deal with in the last years. 10 to 20 movies package in a sweetened subscription in HD or better quality for example.

You did not see how many guys and girls came in with an Alliance or Horde T-Shirt to the screenings in the first week.

Marketing and merchandise is huge in China like in no other countries. I bet Europe (especially Germany, Russia and France) were crazy about Warcraft.

Deleted
    While I technically agree, let's not exaggerate. Even the last two Batman movies only made $1 billion apiece, & the last two Superman movies really haven't aged that well (Superman Returns, Man of Steel). They were expecting Avengers numbers ($1.5 billion), sure, but not Star Wars numbers, definitely not ($2 billion).

Lol. I was talking about gamers and not any wifes or GFs of the gaming community.

Sure Chinese companies will reel in money but TV deals in China are going to make a ton too.

Piracy is a thing they had found a decent way to deal with in the last years. 10 to 20 movies package in a sweetened subscription in HD or better quality for example.

You did not see how many guys and girls came in with an Alliance or Horde T-Shirt to the screenings in the first week.

Marketing and merchandise is huge in China like in no other countries. I bet Europe (especially Germany, Russia and France) were crazy about Warcraft.
    didnt they already announce that warcraft had the biggest pay per view license sale of all time in china or something?
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

I'm a gamer who still has his Atari, NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Sega Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS, PS2, PS3, XBox, PS4, Wii, Game Gear, various gameboys(including monochromatic) and PC's going back to my 286... They all work perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

didnt they already announce that warcraft had the biggest pay per view license sale of all time in china or something?
    Yes... Which will likely cost that company much money as its cheaper for them to buy the billions of bootlegs that flood their market.

- - - Updated - - -

All I am saying is you cannot predict the 100% outcome of any movie.

I predicted WC would make 490-500 million in Box Office and it is probably as close as I can get to the reality.

I had hopes it would make 600 Million or more half a year ago but the predictions from North America came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    While I technically agree, let's not exaggerate. Even the last two Batman movies only made $1 billion apiece, & the last two Superman movies really haven't aged that well (Superman Returns, Man of Steel). They were expecting Avengers numbers ($1.5 billion), sure, but not Star Wars numbers, definitely not ($2 billion).
    i dont know.

i know its kind of hard to step back and remember the way things were before marvel. but if you went up to someone 10 years ago, and told them you'd get to see batman kick the shit out of superman in a movie. they'd lose their shit.

this was something everybody wanted, and nobody ever thought we'd get.

batman and superman are just as engrained in the public pop culture as star wars is.

man of steel also hurt the movie though. had man of steel never been made, id bet the movie wouldve made even more as man of steel caused a stigma towards dc in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
    First of all, I didn't say box office is ONLY based on marketing (although it plays a big role). I said that box office only implies the people who have actually decided to go and see the film. Now, we don't know whether the numbers are affected by marketing/video game stigma (impressions etc), word of mouth, reviews or WHATEVER. Even though one could argue it seems like the majority of the audience who actually saw it were positive (check ratings) so far. My main point though is that you saying the box office results are based on it being a BAD movie is not a known fact like you imply. Anyway, I'm done arguing with someone who uses a strawman.
    You strongly implied that the box office is primarily being reflected by the marketing of this film. In this post as well as your previous post. I know you're mad that I'm pointing out the silliness of your stance, but get over it. If the film was quality it wouldn't be seeing these massive drops day to day in major markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I thought the first Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good. It wasn't revolutionary or anything, but I found it more enjoyable than Silent Hill. Could just be because I was eight when it came out.

I was kind-of hoping they'd do Arthas and the events of WC3. It's arguably the best story Blizzard has made for the Warcraft universe. Not gonna happen with this one though, so I hope it's at least on base with things they have already introduced.
    I was hoping they would have started with the second war or something. i wanted to see the actual races team up , and have death knights and shit show up. Needed more demon.

The story of Warcraft 1 was dull if I remember. Or maybe that was people just saying the game wasn't that good. Not sure. Anyways; yeah. They should have picked a better story that was more than Orc v human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    What a trade show of glorious anectodal evidence. Glad to see I haven't missed anything.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2016-06-19 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimacy View Post
    It's a video game movie, and a fantasy movie with lots of bad CGI at that.
    Plus bad acting....

i dont know.

i know its kind of hard to step back and remember the way things were before marvel. but if you went up to someone 10 years ago, and told them you'd get to see batman kick the shit out of superman in a movie. they'd lose their shit.

batman and superman are just as engrained in the public pop culture as star wars is.

man of steel also hurt the movie though. had man of steel never been made, id bet the movie wouldve made even more as man of steel caused a stigma towards dc in the first place.

The only people who would lose their shit are hardcore CB fans. The average moviegoer would ask why they're fighting when they're supposed to be Super Friends...

Deleted
    i dont know.

Not to mention better marketing, better Lex Luthor that doesn't alienate the fans, not spoiling all the plot points in the Trailers, not putting someone as controversial as Zack Snyder in charge of it AFTER he flunked Man of Steel, etc.

Endless list of things DC failed to do well in order to secure a solid release, even aside from the movie's final cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Plus bad acting....
    Which is putting it mildly when it comes to the physical actors on film in this movie.

Deleted
    The only people who would lose their shit are hardcore CB fans. The average moviegoer would ask why they're fighting when they're supposed to be Super Friends...
    True, that. If they'd done a proper Dark Knight Returns adaptation & just teased the BvS at the end, maybe, but nope. Had to parody the shit out of it instead.

Such a shame, we'll never get to see Mark "The Joker" Hamill against Ben "Batman" Affleck now

Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Not to mention better marketing, better Lex Luthor that doesn't alienate the fans, not spoiling all the plot points in the Trailers, not putting someone as controversial as Zack Snyder in charge of it AFTER he flunked Man of Steel, etc.

Endless list of things DC failed to do well in order to secure a solid release, even aside from the movie's final cut itself.
    They didn't fail to secure a solid release, they failed to secure solid returns after the release. BvS did pretty damn good when it was released.