Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Trump’s meme brigade took over Reddit. Now Reddit is trying to stop them.

This story made me chuckle.

Much more at link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-to-stop-them/

hat is, filling up the feed of Reddit’s most popular posts with triumphant memes featuring Donald Trump, vicious ones about Hillary Clinton and posts explicitly intended to offend and outrage their “cuck” enemies, i.e., establishment Republicans, liberals and online “social justice warriors.” In recent months, those posts have been extremely visible on Reddit, much to the puzzlement and frustration of the rest of the site.

The posts rise up the ranks of r/all because the subreddit’s subscribers enthusiastically “upvote” pretty much everything posted there. Sometimes, the moderators will “sticky” a post of particular interest to the subreddit to the top of its feed, which has the effect of drawing even more votes. Redditors suspect that the subreddit is engaging in “vote manipulation,” against Reddit’s rules, though r/The_Donald’s moderators deny that accusation.

Reddit chief executive Steve Huffman told Redditors that the change was not entirely attributable to r/The_Donald and that Reddit had been “working on this change for a while.” But “I cannot deny their behavior hastened its deployment,” he added in a town hall post on Reddit on Thursday afternoon.

The subreddit r/The_Donald is generally more sincere in its support for Trump than, say, 4chan’s /pol/boards, where the alt right’s racist meme lords go for anti-Semitic jokes and smear campaigns. While there’s cross-pollination between r/The_Donald and /pol/’s membership, the Reddit community has a set of periodically changing rules that bans activity that might make their chosen candidate look bad — for instance, doxxing or anti-Semitism, one moderator said. On 4chan, Trump’s appeal is more conditional. When Trump talks and acts like a 4channer, he is celebrated.

The change to r/all comes days after Reddit’s news-gathering subreddit, r/news, devolved into chaos during the developing story of the Orlando shooting on Sunday.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this mean more or less reddit retreads on Gen-OT?

More than half of the shitposting here is some 12-year-old "discovering" a topic he saw on reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Does this mean more or less reddit retreads on Gen-OT?

More than half of the shitposting here is some 12-year-old "discovering" a topic he saw on reddit.
    You must browse reddit until you run out of links and then come here.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Usual Reddit/Regressive shit. Try to silence one side by calling them racists and such. Chances are if you think the Alt-Right only follows Trump because they are some sort of Racists/Sexist/Bigots/Whatever -ist Buzzwords, well...you are a moron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The subreddit r/The_Donald is generally more sincere in its support for Trump than, say, 4chan’s /pol/boards, where the alt right’s racist meme lords go for anti-Semitic jokes

Michael Cohen (Ashkenazi Jew) – Executive Vice
    President and Special Counsel, The Trump
    Organization
    Gil Dezer (Ashkenazi Jew) – President, Trump
    Dezer Development
    Michael Dezer (Ashkenazi Jew) – Founder, Trump
    Dezer Development
    Alan Fishman (Ashkenazi Jew) – Chairman,
    Ladder Capital (Donald Trump’s largest lender)
    Alan Garten (Ashkenazi Jew) – Executive Vice
    President and General Counsel, The Trump
    Organization
    Michael Glassner (Ashkenazi Jew) – Deputy
    Campaign Manager and National Political
    Director, Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.
    Jason Greenblatt (Ashkenazi Jew) – Executive
    Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, The Trump
    Organization
    Yael Kushner [née Ivanka Trump] (Orthodox
    Jewish convert) – Executive Vice President, The
    Trump Organization
    Corey Lewandowski (Eastern European and/or
    Ashkenazi Jew) – Campaign Manager, Donald J.
    Trump for President, Inc.
    Stephen Miller (Ashkenazi Jew) – Policy Adviser,
    Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.
    Sam Nunberg (Ashkenazi Jew) – Former Policy
    Adviser, Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.
    George Ross (Ashkenazi Jew) – Executive Vice
    President and Senior Counsel, The Trump
    Organization
    Allen Weisselberg (Ashkenazi Jew) – Executive
    Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, The
    Trump Organization
    Donald Trump is not an anti-Semitic whatsoever. Dillusional fans be trippin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Usual Reddit/Regressive shit. Try to silence one side by calling them racists and such. Chances are if you think the Alt-Right only follows Trump because they are some sort of Racists/Sexist/Bigots/Whatever -ist Buzzwords, well...you are a moron.
    Reddit chief executive Steve Huffman told Redditors that the change was not entirely attributable to r/The_Donald and that Reddit had been “working on this change for a while.” But “I cannot deny their behavior hastened its deployment,” he added in a town hall post on Reddit on Thursday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    What you quoted doesn't say that. It says /pol/ is. As someone who used to regular the place. It is. Don't tip toe around it either. It is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post

Sorry no one told you, but "Counting Jews" is considered an anti-Semitic activity.

Millennials are so bad at history is beyond embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Sorry no one told you, but "Counting Jews" is considered an anti-Semitic activity.

Millennials are so bad at history is beyond embarrassing.
    Stop using that. Stop it. You don't know what it means. You think you do, but you don't.

omg there's a meme filled Trump subreddit? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    /r/The_Donald admits to banning users that say anything bad about Trump - " Waah waah regressive left banning Trump sorters."

Ok bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Stop using that. Stop it. You don't know what it means. You think you do, but you don't.

Just a wild guess, Millenials is the generational cohort that grew up with the internet and masturbates to anime?

Deleted
    What you quoted doesn't say that. It says /pol/ is. As someone who used to regular the place. It is. Don't tip toe around it either. It is.
    Haven't read this latest drama whatsoever, and spent 10s reading this post, just not interested, just pointing out that Donald Trump is not Hitler.

Consider my post, offtopic or something if that's what it takes.
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2016-06-19 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    I had to go look, r/The_Donald

"MFW I find out /r/enoughtrumpspam is run by a CANADIAN FEMINIST GROUP"

lol

-- Capt. Copeland

r/The_donald has a shit-ton of subscribers its 166k right now, and it is very active, the sub is basically just jokes and people having a good time, occasionally news stories are posted that the other subs would downvote/ actively censor.

The change came right after the /news board censored any mention of the Orlando shooter being a muslim extreamist on the day of the attack. So one of the only places to read the story on Reddit was The_Donald.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    Its glorious! Make America Great Again!

10+ Year Old Account

Lol if you were a real regular you would know most of it is a joke. Pol has a sick sense of humor and loves nothing more than to fuck with people.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    /r/The_Donald admits to banning users that say anything bad about Trump - " Waah waah regressive left banning Trump sorters."

Ok bro.
    Yeah and? I'm sure most subreddits ban people that say anything bad directly about the specific subreddit. This is people getting butthurt about posts in an unspecific subreddit .

Quite a large difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    They had to change their entire algorithm on r/all lol. It was no problem back when s4p dominated the r/all page of course. I've been there since it was 2k subscribers when 1 of our /trumpgen/ regs made the dom page last year.

Our outreach program on reddit has taken that site over to the point where they had to change the code. They won't quarantine because the dom page is just too active and generates too much money for le reddit.

All hail the one true god, Kek.

I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Lol if you were a real regular you would know most of it is a joke. Pol has a sick sense of humor and loves nothing more than to fuck with people.
    I am aware its all jokes. I am well aware. I was around back when it was still called /news/ and they actually talked about... shocker... news. That doesn't make it not anti-semitic though.

This forum got really fucking weird today. Shape up gen-ot, you're disappointing me

10+ Year Old Account
    /r/The_donald gave a chuckle every now and thing way back when no one took it seriously. Now its fool of maymayers, anti-PC/anti-cuckbros/people who actually think Trump would be a good president.They brigade, they bully, they unironically say stupid shit. But I feel like outside news sources reporting about the state of reddit are cheating somehow. Definitely going for the low hanging fruit.

Resident Cosplay Progressive