Not only did the movie flop int he US, it bombed SPECTACULARLY. Fell 73% in the 2nd week to just 6 million, will likely finish with 40-45 million domestic, which for a 160 million movie, is mega yikes.

The Chinese numbers are saving it from going down as one of the biggest bombs in the history of movies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Which isn't even a counter argument anymore, to add to your point-
    https://www.destructoid.com/warcraft...e-369782.phtml
    Assassin's Creed is probably gonna break it in one weekend. And a sequel isn't going to make the same kind of money.

The celebration, sadly, is going to be short-lived. I just hope they can make it to War of the Ancients before they pull the plug. If they can advance that far, maybe we'll get real lucky and even make it to the Scourge and Arthas. =D
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    it was pretty profitable though, wasn't it? i don't think anyone expected the reviews to be good though lol
    That´s the question which is important for the movie makers. So far and that are the latest numbers i could catch, the movie made 340m global.

That sound good, but that is not money earned. Theatres, distribution, taxes etc. Even if they make, after everything...lets say 50% of that. The film is far from being profitable right now. 160m was the budget. But that is BEFORE marketing, which is always a big money dumb.

Considering a 70%+ drop in ticket sales, well. Doesn´t look good for a second movie. Of course Blizzard could finance it themselves...

It´s unfortunate, i "enjoyed" it to a certain degree but found it forgetable in the end. But a second movie wouldn´t have hurt.

Honestly the movie seemed to cram way too much in way too fast. A lot of the plot lines seemed nonsensical. If Warcraft wasn't already an established universe then I would not care at all for this movie. I still enjoyed it but I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't familiar with the Warcraft franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChillaCharlie View Post
    So many people in this thread just got bitchslapped by reality .

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Assassin's Creed is probably gonna break it in one weekend. And a sequel isn't going to make the same kind of money.

The celebration, sadly, is going to be short-lived. I just hope they can make it to War of the Ancients before they pull the plug. If they can advance that far, maybe we'll get real lucky and even make it to the Scourge and Arthas. =D
    In the West, probably. But will the western sales of AC beat out the Eastern sales of the Warcraft movie? I can't imagine that honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was incredibly intoxicated during that movie and thoroughly enjoyed it, I hope they make a million sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    Doesn´t look good for a second movie.
    Actually a second movie is very likely at this point, given the numbers from China. But you might have to visit China to see it in the theater.

Warcraft movie, faillure in the US, success in China. Maybe Blizzard should move it's headquarters to China.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the movie but geeze was there a lot of dialogue. I was really interested, after the movie, to Wiki the main characters to learn more about them. I never knew much about the lore so using Wiki to compare how it was supposed to go to how the movie did go was disheartening. It definitely felt rushed and the fight scenes weren't as savage as they were supposed to be (looking at how Medivh was supposed to die according to the lore compared to the movie for example). Lots of weird things left out and/or forced as well. If they do get a green light to make a sequel, I really hope they stick to how it's supposed to go instead of the director dipping his "creative hands" into an already solid story.

Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    Actually a second movie is very likely at this point, given the numbers from China. But you might have to visit China to see it in the theater.
    I could see there being a sequel. Pacfic Rim had the same budget and pulled in just over 400 million worldwide and it got a sequel. Right now Warcraft will probably reach 400 million as well so if that movie got one then Warcraft should as well. Plus we would be getting to the "good stuff" which might help future movie numbers. All a waiting game though at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hey guys, Blizzard made a movie literally almost exactly showing Warcraft 1, what should we do?"

"Probably hope it fails, bash it, and shit on it for 80 pages" - MMO-C
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

The Directors cut was over 3 hours, they had to cut it down. Hopefully we get the directors cut.
    "Last time I checked, Cain didn't bludgeon Abel with a Gameboy; Genghis Khan didn't have an Xbox Live account; and Hitler didn't play Crash Bandicoot." -- Tommy Tallarico

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    Plus we would be getting to the "good stuff" which might help future movie numbers. All a waiting game though at this point.

Yeah the 1st and 2nd games didn't reeealy have that much story. Cant wait till the 3rd war movie (hopefully), gotta see that Arthas in Lorderon cinematic made shot for shot in live action....

Deleted
    This thread should get reported. I mean...did the movie actually flop? What do you mean by flop? What's the definition of flopping?
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-06-20 at 04:24 AM.

Want to have some fun playing with the numbers that the movie may hint us?

From the 5.500.000 players WoW had back in November back when Blizzard said they won't report numbers ever again.

Around 550.000 players are from the US, around 1 - 1,5 million users from the rest of the world and 3+ million from China.

It should be way less by now. Please keep telling me how WoW is the best mmo out there because it has big numbers from China where gold farming is a way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil84 View Post
    Want to have some fun playing with the numbers that the movie may hint us?

From the 5.500.000 players WoW had back in November back when Blizzard said they won't report numbers ever again.

Around 550.000 players are from the US, around 1 - 1,5 million users from the rest of the world and 3+ million from China.

It should be way less by now. Please keep telling me how WoW is the best mmo out there because it has big numbers from China where gold farming is a way of living.
    If the Chinese considered WoW nothing more than a job, they wouldn't have cared to see the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    This thread should get reported. I mean...did the movie actually flop? What do you mean by flop? What's the definition of flopping?
    Not making a profit is a good definition. So yes, it did flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    YOu sticking by that 500mill number that doesnt seem to have any fact behind it?

10+ Year Old Account
    oh no a movie flopped

who cares

i actually got a retard on one of my facebook groups asking if he should go see it. like, dude, man, it's a fuckin' movie. If you're bored and don't have shit to do, it's $10 to go watch. Get off your ass and go be pleasantly surprised or disappointed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    It will make a profit. Or the profit is decided on the first and second week of release?