Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gated Order Campaign, Bad Design

This isn't the first quest where the progression of my order hall campaign is gated behind follower missions. I feel it's a poor way to control my progress. I have zero involvement in this part of the story and it ties up my champions for hours at a time. For example the screenshot below: First quest 12 hours, second quest 12 hours, third quest 24 hours, fourth quest 12 hours.......0 hours of fun, not sense of accomplishment and I don't feel rewarded at all.

http://imgur.com/P71w26U

It feels more like a punishment. "Hey you got to this part of the story, wait 36 hours and you can't have access to some of your champions. Here's a small bit of artifact power for your time."

Make it more engaging for the champion. I'm the leader of this order, let me go out into some epic battle and the selected followers I've taken have specific jobs through out the battle. something like this:

Champ A: disables the traps
    Champ B: reigns fire from above
    Champ C: Tanks/Silences
    Champ D: Brings reinforcements
    Champ E: Plunders Treasure

But you can only bring two.

Edit: just finished quest 4......there's another 24 hr quest after it....fml -_-
    and i have no idea how that color was selected. didnt change shit
    Last edited by Krobane; 2016-06-21 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krobane View Post
    This isn't the first quest where the progression of my order hall campaign is gated behind follower missions. I feel it's a poor way to control my progress. I have zero involvement in this part of the story and it ties up my champions for hours at a time. For example the screenshot below: First quest 12 hours, second quest 12 hours, third quest 24 hours, fourth quest 12 hours.......0 hours of fun, not sense of accomplishment and I don't feel rewarded at all.

It feels more like a punishment. "Hey you got to this part of the story, wait 36 hours and you can't have access to some of your champions. Here's a small bit of artifact power for your time."

Make it more engaging for the champion. I'm the leader of this order, let me go out into some epic battle and the selected followers I've taken have specific jobs through out the battle. something like this:

Why would you color the font like that? Stop it.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

Nice font colour you mouth breathing shitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Oh man that font...

Point of the gating is that they don't want people to burn through the quests in a day. So its either those Order Hall gates or the old fashioned daily/weekly structure. So you either send the follower out or you have an NPC who just tells you to come back in 72hrs. In either case removing them doesnt reduce the wait time nor increase the amount of content around the Order Hall since both of those are very deliberate.

My eyes hurt. But yea. Gating is useful for artificially lengthening the speed at which we burn through content.

Awesome choice for font color.

*facepalm*

gating the story is shit. total shit.

the weekly quest for lore in WoD pissed me off enough, i guess a daily system for it isn't as bad, but it's still annoying.

The time gating is intentional, and it's still better than the Garrison Campaign limiting you to 15 minutes of content a week.

Part of the reason it's like this is that the early stages are supposed to be concurrent with leveling. You start the campaign at 101, then resume leveling content and just come back later to check up on it while you're already there to unlock some more artifact traits.

This isn't the first quest where the progression of my order hall campaign is gated behind follower missions. I feel it's a poor way to control my progress. I have zero involvement in this part of the story and it ties up my champions for hours at a time. For example the screenshot below: First quest 12 hours, second quest 12 hours, third quest 24 hours, fourth quest 12 hours.......0 hours of fun, not sense of accomplishment and I don't feel rewarded at all.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Agreed... remember how they were selling it as "we send YOU out into the world?"... I have yet to see one mission that does that.

It's Garrison Mission Table all over again.. only worse because you have limited number of followers and are gated by long mission times and lack of followers you can send out. But you STILL have to level them, gear them or you cannot do some of the missions popping up.

Excellent font choice as others have mentioned.

OT: I agree these table / garrison mission things aren't very fun or engaging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    gating the story is shit. total shit.

the weekly quest for lore in WoD pissed me off enough, i guess a daily system for it isn't as bad, but it's still annoying.
    You mean how they did the same bloody thing in 5.1 for Mists and that expansion was praised highly. Yeah I think people have short memories.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You mean how they did the same bloody thing in 5.1 for Mists and that expansion was praised highly. Yeah I think people have short memories.
    not really. they put it behind a daily rep grind, which is better than just flat out time gating, because you're actually doing something yourself every day to get to it.

Deleted
    I don't think MoP was praised because of it's gating.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Agreed... remember how they were selling it as "we send YOU out into the world?"... I have yet to see one mission that does that.
    I think you misunderstood what was said. Because that's exactly what every class hall campaign is. You do some world content, then send out a mission, then the mission comes back and you're told to do some more world content. The missions are styled as gathering intel on what you need to do next, and not just bringing back all the rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    I don't think MoP was praised because of it's gating.
    Many people loved the 5.1 questline and how it worked(Not talking about 5.0 dailies, 5.1).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

The power of Christ compels you! Begone vicious colour!

Okay. Now that I can actually read what you've put I agree. Gating story content almost killed MoP in its infancy until 5.1 fixed it. This seems to be even worse which has me somewhat worried.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2016-06-21 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is the OP in an annoying light pink color that's hard to read?!

Anyways...time-gating...idk how I feel about it. I don't want to rush through the story but having a mandatory time gate is also bothersome.

Deleted
    Many people loved the 5.1 questline and how it worked(Not talking about 5.0 dailies, 5.1).
    And since a system is interactive, the whole expansion is just, solid, cause it was gated?

That's the structure, the quests, the interactivity - Nothing about the Gating.

If you wish to talk about how gating was great in MoP, talk about the proffesion CDs. They were straight up gates.

Not gameplay related, no structure, no interactivity ; just a gate. You had X mats, you did X things, bang, boom, X amount of Time left until you can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    not really. they put it behind a daily rep grind, which is better than just flat out time gating, because you're actually doing something yourself every day to get to it.
    I would disagree that forcing me to do the same quests everyday for rep is a better time gate than just sending a follower out while I do quest content I havent seen, dungeons, professions ect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    And since a system is interactive, the whole expansion is just, solid, cause it was gated?

That's the structure, the quests, the interactivity - Nothing about the Gating.

If you wish to talk about how gating was great in MoP, talk about the proffesion CDs. They were straight up gates.

Not gameplay related, no structure, no interactivity ; just a gate. You had X mats, you did X things, bang, boom, X amount of Time left until you can do it again.
    Not specifically. There's always going to have some gating in some form and the 5.1 questline WAS gated. It functioned in the same way via the Garrison Campaign. I said people praised MoP and it was a general statement and the 5.1 questline was part of it.

Warrior-Magi