Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

New funeral service dissolves dead people and umps remains into sewer

Generally speaking, there are two main types of funerals: Those where the corpse is buried in a coffin and placed underground, or those where the body is cremated and the ashes are buried, kept, or scattered. Although there are some less conventional ways of burying a lost one – including turning them into a tree – a small town southwest of Ottawa, Canada, has just opted for what is perhaps the most controversial.

AquaGreen Dispositions, a company keen on its environmental credentials, is taking a page out of another sister company, Hilton’s Unforgettable Tails. These funereal pioneers use a powerful alkaline solution to dissolve deceased pets before draining their leftover, beige-hued sludge into the sewer system. And they've just been given a license to dissolve the remains of humans before dumping them into the drainpipes of Smiths Falls.

It’s essentially the same as a cremation process, but by using this gruesome chemical alchemy, a lot of energy is saved in the process. Up to 250 kilograms (551 pounds) of climate-warming carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere per average cremation, according to some estimates, whereas this process doesn’t emit any, and has a very small carbon footprint overall.

“It brings your body back to its natural state,” owner Dale Hilton told CBC News. “It’s the same way as being buried in the ground, but instead of taking 15, 20 years to disintegrate, it does it in a quicker process. And it’s all environmentally friendly.” Perhaps most oddly, any artificial joints or surgical material gained over a person’s lifetime are not dissolved in the solution; rather, they are kept and sent away to be reused in poorer countries that have a lack of such materials.
    http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...ns-into-sewer/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to be made into a gem stone, and placed in a piece of jewelry. And my S.O. wants to be a tree. Which I will likely do for her.

http://lifegem.com/
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I've always frowned on cremation and found it pointless but I cannot agree with this. What's wrong with just burying dead people in the ground (without a coffin preferably).

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I want to be made into a gem stone, and placed in a piece of jewelry. And my S.O. wants to be a tree. Which I will likely do for her.

http://lifegem.com/
    Yeah I've expressed that I would like to go the tree route as well. Though after I die I doubt it will be up to me.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem with it. If its environment friendly and saves energy why not?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    What's wrong with just burying dead people in the ground (without a coffin preferably).
    If you look into it, a hell of a lot is wrong with that. And none of it has to do with religious stuff.

Ahh yes, being dumped into a sewer...that's how I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Ahh yes, being dumped into a sewer...that's how I want to go.
    I mean you're already going to be gone before they do this.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yeah I've expressed that I would like to go the tree route as well. Though after I die I doubt it will be up to me.
    It absolutely can be up to you. Put it in your will, and allot the needed money for it in the will. That way the money can only be used for that purpose.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyScales View Post
    I don't see a problem with it. If its environment friendly and saves energy why not?
    Ya don't see the problem either. A lot worse gets dumped into the sewer system.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yeah... No thanks. I'll stick to my heavily armed and booby-trapped multi-floor tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyScales View Post
    What the OP forgot to add is that they use a convection oven (heat) to turn the skeleton into a fine powder since the chemical is ineffective at degrading the bone so it's not totally environmentally friendly.

Plus, I find the notion of flushing the remains of my loved ones in a drainage pipe to float underground highly disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    i could honestly not care less what happens to my body after im dead.. so sure, pump me into the sewage

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If you look into it, a hell of a lot is wrong with that. And none of it has to do with religious stuff.
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with burying people in the earth and it's environmentally 100% friendly.

When I go I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed into concrete or plaster and molded into a garden gnome. I want my family to put me under the Christmas tree during the holidays like we do our pets and put me in the yard, garage or closet the rest of the year.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd never go this route, but I don't see a problem with it as long as the dead person wanted it.

I'd love to go the tree route or just be buried in the woods somewhere. Unfortunately both are illegal here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    What the OP forgot to add is that they use a convection oven (heat) to turn the skeleton into a fine powder since the chemical is ineffective at degrading the bone so it's not totally environmentally friendly.

Plus, I find the notion of flushing the remains of my loved ones in a drainage pipe to float underground highly disturbing.
    So your beef is how the remains get underground and not that they're underground?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'd never go this route, but I don't see a problem with it as long as the dead person wanted it.

I'd love to go the tree route or just be buried in the woods somewhere. Unfortunately both are illegal here.
    Why is the tree route illegal? I mean they cremate you which I assume is legal and then they just bury the ashes with a seed. Is it illegal to bury the ashes completely?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

Really? It is illegal to plant a tree in the woods? That seems odd to me.

I guess if you didn't like them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the coffin route either. It's just a symbol and I leave the symbols for the symbol minded. Kinda expensive and wasteful as far as land goes.

If one needs a ritual place to remember me, just hang a picture of me over a fireplace or something. You don't need my corpse for that. The worms do.