Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormlance View Post
    I have seen it done well but I won't deny homeschooling takes a lot of resources and disciple even with conveniences like the internet. If it came between being forced to chose between that or public school I would still be sorely tested to go with homeschooling. Over coming my public education was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. I dropped out of my first term in university and took up a private course after I went from a honor student to a failing one in the course of a month.

I struggled but sending my kids to a private school is still something I feel was worthwhile the level of education they got can barely be compared to the paltry one I received and I hear that public schools have not gotten better in the past thirty years.
    Quality of public schooling varies wildly.

But an under performing school system is not an argument against it, but an argument for reforming it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    To brainwash so that they will OBEY.
    As I said before.

It is the actual polar opposite. Societies with low educational attainment are universally the most conservative and hierarchical. The reasons are explained in a previous post.

Deleted
    They force it because people wouldn't get an education otherwise, right now we got "refugees" unwilling to get an education since as an uneducated worker they earn more money than during training. They fail to see that an educated worker earns more money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    And why is industry so important? I suppose you could argue that it increases quality of life, but industry also brings an equal amount of problems such as greed, land destruction, higher cancer rates, and class stratification and inequality. You never hear of income inequality within tribal communities because it simply does not exist in those circumstances. Furthermore, anthropologists have recorded on many occasions that tribal communities report high happiness levels that civilization dwellers. So again I ask why is industry so important?
    1. Mostly because those "without" in those situations die. There is always forms of currency, in those communities it is usually food or clothing

2. See #1, if the poor and unhappy die off, you are naturally left with a happier crowd

3. Feel free to sell all your western belongings and go live in the jungle.. noone is stopping you.. since you seem to think that living hand to mouth off the land and eschewing the societal advancements that industry has brought is the best way to live....

Look how well it worked out for Salandrin and Tennisace. That's why.

Because it's the right of every child to get an education. Parents should not be allowed to hinder the education of their child. A good basic education is in the best interest of the child and one of several factors that hugely affect the chances of getting a happy life.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2016-06-21 at 12:32 PM.

Blame Frederick the Great of Prussia, it's all his fault.

Generally speaking it was part of massive efforts to increase literacy in the 1700s and 1800s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This video illustrates the problem nicely.
    [video=youtube;UQeNOiYL3AQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQeNOiYL3AQ[/]
    The children of the Tundra in the video must attend formal school by law. However, there is hardly any industry were they live, so why should they be forced by law to attend formal schooling when it really is not going to help them much in part of the world? This got me started thinking about schooling in general. Since when did formal school become so important that parents are forced by law to send their children to school or suffer consequences? And why is formal schooling so important that it is forced on entire civilizations? Is formal schooling a form of indoctrination that society imposes on children in order to further its own agenda?

In society we enshrine and worship education as the pinnacle of society, but is it really that important on the larger scale of all things?
    School is much more than just about industry... I think our education system is faltering for first world people to even ask this question

Quote Originally Posted by mormolyce View Post
    blame frederick the great of prussia, it's all his fault.

Generally speaking it was part of massive efforts to increase literacy in the 1700s and 1800s.
    that dick!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Kids are too young to make that decision, and parents can then withhold eduction for whatever reason.
    Its a law against shitty parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    As I said before.

It is the actual polar opposite. Societies with low educational attainment are universally the most conservative and hierarchical. The reasons are explained in a previous post.
    It's in the water and air ducts. When you centralize your infiltration systems for a most cost effective way to distribute your nerve toxics and control agents... you need a way to force the population into that system.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    It's in the water and air ducts. When you centralize your infiltration systems for a most cost effective way to distribute your nerve toxics and control agents... you need a way to force the population into that system.
    I can't tell if this is serious.

In society we enshrine and worship education as the pinnacle of society, but is it really that important on the larger scale of all things?
    If you have to ask...then there's something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you have to ask...then there's something wrong.

Agreed. If anyone is sitting here thinking that it's okay to isolate others (not just children) from new ideas, allow them to remain ignorant and never, ever give them a chance to explore new ideas or, think from different perspectives in order to reach different conclusions then they have actual problems and should probably pay more attention to education themselves. Education doesn't inherently imply that you need to be just "book smart", but you do have to make an effort to not be willfully ignorant. And while it's illegal to keep kids un-educated, more adults should embrace continued learning as well.

Uneducated populations that do not question and explore the information they are given are blight.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Forced education tends to encourage people to attain higher levels of productivity than they would otherwise. Means that they are less unhappy and more able to take care of themselves, which is good for everyone else. I can believe that there are certain circumstances where that's not true, like maybe if you live in the tundra with a fixed way of life, but that's by no means a normal situation.
    lies the more you know the unhappier you get with with how the world works which is why ignorance is bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Good lecture by economist and professor Bryan Caplan on why education is pretty useless 90% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpk_u_VmPD4

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    lies the more you know the unhappier you get with with how the world works which is why ignorance is bliss
    Yet only a fool would choose the bliss of ignorance over an expansion of knowledge, even knowing that they may not be as 'happy' as a result.

If you do not know, you cannot ever seek to improve or to grow. Such bliss is the bliss of stagnation, a monotony that would leave our entire species at the whim of whatever random disasters, plagues, or other challenges come our way.

If you believe such bliss is admirable, you're free to enjoy it. Those of us who actually value knowledge and seek to do something with it will build a better world where your bliss can be protected.

The beauty part is that the parents get to choose what the children are indoctrinated with. Between public schools, private schools (both religious or for the wealthy), and home schooling, there's plenty of options.

That said, I think it is paramount to an advancing society that all children are educated to certain base levels. The grey area is what is that base level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Good lecture by economist and professor Bryan Caplan on why education is pretty useless 90% of the time.

Best I can tell, he's talking more about college and university, not primary education so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Best I can tell, he's talking more about college and university, not primary education so much.
    He talks about high school for a good chunk of the lecture IIRC. Been a while since I've listened to it.

Explains why the education in the US is going down the drain compared to Asia.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

He talks about high school for a good chunk of the lecture IIRC. Been a while since I've listened to it.
    That would make sense. Like I noted earlier, there's a grey area on how much education should be mandatory. To me, high school is probably a good place to start drawing that line, and to be fair, If I'm not mistaken, most states have the age set around 16 where you can quit high school. IMO, that seems appropriate.