Poll: What should be done with heirlooms?

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Other. They can still grant their current Xp boost and level up with you but they are only as good as green gear available for your level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Heirlooms only "contribute" to the problem, and changing them will not resolve the issue.
    So the focus on them isn't helpful.
    Their power is not the issue it is made out to be as they are not outright best all the time, and removing their scaling would only increase loot competition, which due to the wardrobe is going to be greater anyway.
    And what does removing the xp gains achieve when that is only part of the problem, the core being something that no game mechanic changes can deal with.
    The player mentality that you have to reach your destination as quickly as possible.
    The thing is, the mentality to reach your destination as soon as possible always existed.

It's just that in earlier expansions, the quickest way to reach the destination was to pull carefully. People still wanted to move quickly, it's just that if you moved to quickly, you could easily wipe the group and the corpse run back was far worse than waiting a few seconds for the tank to mark the pull and CC to set up.

It's pretty much impossible to wipe in 5-mans now, and bar the first week or two of Mythic dungeons, you can clear all WoD dungeons with a rush and AOE approach.

If you think leveling without heirlooms is insane now, then be glad you never played Vanilla.
    RETH

Deleted
    How about removing the XP bonus from heirlooms, and having 1 Heirloom trinket that is unique equipped and gives an EX boost. You would loose 1 trinket slot if you wanted the XP boost, and could use regular gear in all the other slots.

The Trinket cost could be tiered -

10k for 5%
    25K for 10%
    50k for 15%
    100k for 20%

You could make it so the trinket can only be transfered to one alt once purchased.

After years of not leveling new characters, I just recently resubbed and leveled a priest, and working on a mage right now. I was actually interested to get an actual fresh perspective on it and see how that really feels now and how much of the ongoing criticism about the leveling pace, heirlooms etc. is really justifried.

I started out virgin-style, not using any heirlooms, not boosting the character in any way etc. And you know what? I ended up equipping the heirlooms eventually - all the slots that yield an experience bonus, that is. I don't use the heirloom weapon, trinkets etc. just to have a bit of variety and something to upgrade every once in a while.

Heirlooms are not the problem. I'd say they're actually needed. 100 levels is just too much. It gets really boring after a while. I'm talking about "traditional leveling" - just standard, proper questing, no madman rushing or dungeon spamming or anything like that.

Leveling through all this stuff is only fun for a certain while, but then it needs to get to an end. Especially pre-60, even 70 - the gameplay is just so incredibly mundane. MY mage is 40-something right now and it's unbearable at the moment, to be honest. You just don't have anything at your disposal, ability-wise, to make the gameplay even remotely engaging. My Frost "rotation" consists of spamming one button and sometimes using up an instant proc.

The main problem with leveling is that the whole path to 100 is just way too long, it's not just that much of an exciting type of gameplay to expect people to trot through all of that. It's fun in a sort of autopilot/sightseeing mode, but honestly, only for some 40, at most 60 levels. Leveling in WoW today just shouldn't be any longer.

The other thing is that the classes are really really boring and incomplete at lower levels. And the third thing is that mobs are just too harmless. Their aggro range is ridiculously lenient, and they just don't put up a fight. Nobody makes you move out of shit or interrupt real nasty stuff. They nver heal or shield themselves in any significant matter and they're just very rarely able to deal any amount of significant or threatening damage. This gets slightly better in MoP and WoD, but especially the old content is unbelievably mundane. With out without heirlooms, it doesn't fucking matter, the mobs by themselves are so harmless that the stat advantage of heirlooms over questing greens is irrelevant.

So, bottom line, heirlooms aren't the problem - in anything, they're making the whole leveling process more bearable. Blizzard should really figure out a way to apply their new zone scaling technology to the old stuff. That way, they could calculate a new, reasonable level curve that ideally would feel something like the original Vanilla 1-60, maybe a bit shorter. Anything more than that is just too long and gets boring way too fast.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2016-06-22 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    If you think leveling without heirlooms is insane now, then be glad you never played Vanilla.
    Don't you think it would be a good idea to read AT LEAST the original post before contributing to the thread?

Same answer I tend to always give to these sorts of things.. Don't use heirlooms. They're designed to help you along IF you want to use them.

My idea:

Make lvling hard as fuck, but fun and short.

So if level 110...? 105? will take 30 hours in legion...make it instead 10 hour's, but make it very hard and challeging.

I level classes to 100...then go learn rotation first then....like lol
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Just remove them period and it would actually make dungeon/quest loot viable.
    This. /thread

Deleted
    Leveling is like 0,x % of my time spent ingame either way. Let it take 1 or 10 or 20 ingame days. Just remove it.

Xp bonus can stay. It's only for alts anyway so who cares. I'd be strongly against xp bonuses you can stack up for your main on new content.

Blizzard only makes bad decisions since cataclysm. They redid zones with linear questing which is bad, but not a dealbreaker. But the problem the quest become green and perhaps grey before you finish the questlines and reap the final rewards from them.

Don't like it don't use them. I think personally they should buff them even more because leveling is just a boring chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Xp bonus can stay. It's only for alts anyway so who cares. I'd be strongly against xp bonuses you can stack up for your main on new content.

Blizzard only makes bad decisions since cataclysm. They redid zones with linear questing which is bad, but not a dealbreaker. But the problem the quest become green and perhaps grey before you finish the questlines and reap the final rewards from them.
    BoA's don't work on "new" content anyway, so there's no worry.

I have to echo the 'Don't use them!' crowd. Choose not to use them and you won't level as fast. Genius!

The main reason I wear heirlooms is because it means I don't have to give a shit about most gear slots (and can keep my transmog intact while levelling).
    The XP bonus could disappear and I'd still use 'em.
    So get rid of the XP bonus and give us heirlooms for the other slots.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Chamual View Post
    How about removing the XP bonus from heirlooms, and having 1 Heirloom trinket that is unique equipped and gives an EX boost. You would loose 1 trinket slot if you wanted the XP boost, and could use regular gear in all the other slots.

The Trinket cost could be tiered -

10k for 5%
    25K for 10%
    50k for 15%
    100k for 20%

You could make it so the trinket can only be transfered to one alt once purchased.
    Fucking stupid idea. I already got all my xp boost. No other reason to have heirlooms except for xp boost. Why should I be penalised for getting all the heirloom gear I want, get the benefit stripped away only to have to pay for it again. And again and again. That's just a slap in the face. If YOU don't like it then YOU don't use it. If YOU have too much gold then YOU give it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Fucking stupid idea. I already got all my xp boost. No other reason to have heirlooms except for xp boost. Why should I be penalised for getting all the heirloom gear I want, get the benefit stripped away only to have to pay for it again. And again and again. That's just a slap in the face. If YOU don't like it then YOU don't use it. If YOU have too much gold then YOU give it away.
    MMO-Champ forums are a breeding ground for bad ideas.
    BoA gear is fine. If you don't want to use it, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    MMO-Champ forums are a breeding ground for bad ideas.
    BoA gear is fine. If you don't want to use it, don't.
    The new MMO-Champ slogan:

"It's not broke but God damn will we try to fix it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I'm not certain why heirlooms need to change. Functionally speaking they are for alts for content you've already experienced in a game where doing things more than once is required, but requires far too much of a time investment, especially for alternate characters.

Alas, this is why I favor FFXIV's job system. One character can be every class, profession and gatherer in the game. No alts, no fuss, no mess, no stupid arguments about fucking heirlooms every other day.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I have to echo the 'Don't use them!' crowd. Choose not to use them and you won't level as fast. Genius!
    Plot twist: it will still be an insane undertuned mess.