Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weeds vs Flowers, is there a difference?.

What is the difference between weeds vs flowers?.

Weeds are plants that people say you "don't" want in your garden.
    Flowers are plants that people say you "want" in your garden.

Loads of weeds are absolutely gorgeous tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a gardener I'm guessing.

Some weeds are flower-bearing. Not all cultivated plants are flower-bearing.

Deleted
    It's mostly due to the fact that weeds take over the garden and kill your desired plants.
    If you've got a garden full of roses but it gets infested with say, dandelions, they take up the soil and devoid the roses of water and nutrients causing the roses to die. So you lose your roses and end up with a garden full of dandelions.

So even though dandelions have a flower, they basically starve and 'strangle' your roses. So it counts as a weed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't you been following marijuana legalization? Apparently weed has flowers: http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/upl...06750_orig.jpg

I am now confused though. Dandelions are weeds. Dandelions have flowers. People are smoking weed. Wait, what the hell? Someone is shoving dandelions in a pipe?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

A weed is ANYTHING unwanted in your garden.

Flowers, even roses, can be weeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Haven't you been following marijuana legalization? Apparently weed has flowers: http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/upl...06750_orig.jpg

I am now confused though. Dandelions are weeds. Dandelions have flowers. People are smoking weed. Wait, what the hell? Someone is shoving dandelions in a pipe?
    Yes. Yes, they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Weeds are fucked. They mostly strangle everything else in yo garden. Flowers are easier to contain and are prettier and won't spread out to take over your entire lawn and your neighbors lawn. I just spent 5 months battling bindi's that plague my front and back lawn. My front lawn is now glorious grass with some clover patches that I will be getting rid of. My backyard has become cloverfield but I am killing all that too so I can also lay down nice soil and hardy grass seed like I did to the front when spring starts in a few months (seasons different in kangaroo land). Speaking of all my shit plants against my side fence that have gone out of control I am going to dig out and replace with nice shrubbery.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Weeds say f*ck you and thrive regardless. Flowers need tender loving care.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    I had this huge garden in my back yard and i let the weeds run rampant though it , i watered and fertilized them , i took good care of them. my city bylaw came by and gave me a notice that if i didnt chop them down id be subject to fines.

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    I had this huge garden in my back yard and i let the weeds run rampant though it , i watered and fertilized them , i took good care of them. my city bylaw came by and gave me a notice that if i didnt chop them down id be subject to fines.
    Interesting, given how much you loved and nurtured the weeds, what did you end up doing?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear
    Yes. Yes, they are.
    Snap! Well, now I better understand some of the posts I see. So, <censored by bungee> is actually sitting there posting with a huge bowl of dandelions smoldering away?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

You genuinely need this explained to you? Are you playing the role of "I'm too macho to understand this girly flower thing?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower

In common parlance a weed is simply something we consider undesirable, either because it has no useful properties or because we don't consider them aesthetically pleasing.

Flowers, typically the domesticated kind have agricultural, medicinal and aesthetic properties we find desirable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    WTF? Since when can a city dictate what you can grow on your OWN turf?

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    WTF? Since when can a city dictate what you can grow on your OWN turf?
    Depending on the weed, it can spread like wildfire into other people's lawns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Snap! Well, now I better understand some of the posts I see. So, <censored by bungee> is actually sitting there posting with a huge bowl of dandelions smoldering away?
    You can even extract the white liquid residing inside the stem and inject it using a syringe for extra effect. And yes, <censored by Zoibert> does it all the time, that's why every post by <censored> is nonsensical and should be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    layman definition,

Weeds tend to be plants the suck the life out of other plants and the look or your yard/garden. Weeds have a habit of spontaneously popping up where they don't belong, they are very efficient at spreading their life sucking presence. They tend to be biologically engineered to grow faster and taller in ways to sap all the sunlight and nutrients from surround plants, leading to the death of non-weed plants. They can be tough enough to evade lawn movers or have root systems that allow them to persist even have mauling the top of them. Some weeds have to be completely rooted (or chemically treated) if you actually want to get rid of them. Then you have the weeds that find ways to grow through sidewalks or on the side of a house...assholes.

My grandma had a problem with dollar weed and dandelions, both can completly take over your yard in what seems like a day because of hundreds of them popping up at once and can be hard to get rid of.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear
    You can even extract the white liquid residing inside the stem and inject it using a syringe for extra effect. And yes, <censored by Zoibert> does it all the time, that's why every post by <censored> is nonsensical and should be ignored.
    ZOMG! You mean, just like this? http://summitmalibu.com/wp-content/u...se-300x200.jpg

I knew it! <censored by bungee> is sitting there with a rubber hose and a syringe, mainlining dandelions! That explains so much. There they are, trying to push the keyboard away and jonesing for just another hit. Sigh. Why didn't I see it? How can we help them?

I don't give a shit bro I'm on xanax

10+ Year Old Account
    ZOMG! You mean, just like this? http://summitmalibu.com/wp-content/u...se-300x200.jpg

I knew it! <censored by bungee> is sitting there with a rubber hose and a syringe, mainlining dandelions! That explains so much. There they are, trying to push the keyboard away and jonesing for just another hit. Sigh. Why didn't I see it? How can we help them?
    I don't think we can. They are way past the point of no return. There is no possible redemption, not for <censored by Zoibert> at least. Not anymore; such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by user7893 View Post
    I don't give a shit bro I'm on xanax
    Quoted for reference.