View Poll Results: Will the UK break up in the near future?

Voters
230. This poll is closed
  • Yes

151 65.65%
  • No

79 34.35%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    I don't think either Scotland or NI can as independent states, but NI at least has another route open to it (above).
    Scotland breaks even within the UK.

In fairness, I think a lot of the motivation behind the SNP is not "independence" so much as "Anglomisia" - ie hatred of England.
    I think that says more about your prejudices than anything about Scotland's motivation for seeking Independence. Given how much "Sovereignty" featured in the EU referendum, it would be extremely hypocritical to deny it to others. I mean the EU sided with the UK interests far more than the UK sides with Scottish interests (iirc hansard had it at single digits).

The EU can't guarantee them spots. Under EU law, there's a big old process new countries must go through to join the EU. Scotland would be counted as one, because it is only a member because the UK is a member as well. If the UK leaves, Scotland goes. If Scotland leaves the UK, it's a new, sovereign state and must apply on its own. Spain might also veto them joining, because it wants to set a precedent for Catalonia ("if you leave Spain, no EU membership for you, mwahaha!").
    There's a school of thought that goes along the lines of; Scotland becomes the successor state to the Uk in the EU. Also the Spain thing has been debunked numerous times already. Spain's only problem would be in the event of UDI as that's the route Catalonia has to take since there is no constitutional mechanism for regions of Spain to leave. As long as it's not UDI, Spain wouldn't veto.

UK voters have no clue what they've done to their country. Not sure about Ireland or Wales, but Scotland will surely leave to rejoin EU.

Many huge international corporations have their headquarter in ireland, maybe they'll leave as well if Ireland is not in the EU.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2016-06-24 at 11:44 AM.

Deleted
    In fairness, the UK has demonstrably worked for a few hundred years now, in both good times and very, very bad times.

The EU - even if only due to its relative youth - cannot make any such claims.
    Really? Ireland would like to disagree. You seem to be cherry picking if you think the UK hasn't had problems. It's insulting to the Irish to suggest they've been having a good time.
    And let's not even get into British imperialism.

I find plenty of things have worked with the EU but if you only want to see bad things, that's all you see. Once you lose the good things, you'll start noticing them. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Well, EU can really go to hell for all that I care. In Denmark we can't make our own laws or anything, because everything has to be decided from Bruxelles. Even if our dear politicians tries to do something, they need the acceptance from Bruxelles.
    What? how it works in Denmark? Here in Slovakia, we are doing laws as we want and even many laws are criticized by EU yet our politicians give a shit about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Well, EU can really go to hell for all that I care. In Denmark we can't make our own laws or anything, because everything has to be decided from Bruxelles. Even if our dear politicians tries to do something, they need the acceptance from Bruxelles.
    That's blatantly a hyperbolic lie. Let me guess, immigrants?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Really? Ireland would like to disagree. You seem to be cherry picking if you think the UK hasn't had problems. It's insulting to the Irish to suggest they've been having a good time.

I find plenty of things have worked with the EU but if you only want to see bad things, that's all you see. Once you lose the good things, you'll start noticing them. Time will tell.
    Quite the opposite, its been very rough here in Dublin the past few years, even worse out in the country.
    (just agreeing with you here, disagreeing with Teleros).

If it were me I would wait and see how the UKs exit goes before making any rash decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Amen. I've lost respect for the English people. Their servitude for America didn't make me like them a lot, but this has taken them to a whole other level.
    Now you're free to want Scottish independence for whatever reasons you want it, but to describe Britain's alliance to the United States as "servitude" while simultaneously decrying their decision not to bend the knee to Brussels is more than a little bit hypocritical.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Nope. The UK is the EU in its worst form.
    Wales aren't Cornwall aren't leaving though

- - - Updated - - -

There's a irony at work here.
    Wales & Cornwall voted leave

Deleted
    Cornwall isn't even its own country, why isn't the Ulster flag up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    We need an "EU 2.0", because the current ship is sinking really quickly. Nationalists on both ends take over our countries. They're blaming refugees, immigrants, muslims, gays and whatever for the failure of our EU-wide economical and political elite. It's also a vote against globalization and turbo capitalism, which is - to a certrain degree - understandable.

I was against the Brexit, but I do believe that we have to reconsider our core values and that not the EU was the big problem here, but the Euro as a currency.
    The Euro is not a currency, it's a method of government. It's also something that benefits one country alone (funny enough, it benefits the country, but not its citizens).
    Sovereign states, indipendent with trade agreements, that's all we need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Thats a kneejerk reaction.

Still, leaving is a stupid move.
    Still something that's possible. Not for some time though since they would have to be veeeery sure of voting YES to call referendum any time soon.

Leaving will make everyone worse off, UK and EU.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, in the long run I feel that both Scotland and England would be better off as independent countries. Don't forget that the union of England and Scotland was deeply unpopular with the general population of both nations when it was implemented, the union only came about due to the self interest and greed of the ruling classes of both nations.

Assuming only Scotland leaves the UK, then the remainder would then be called the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland. This is because the current UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and Great Britain was formed by the union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. Wales of course was already a part of the Kingdom of England, and not a sovereign country in its own right. That said Wales and England have always been closer culturally than England and Scotland, and I doubt Wales would ever vote for complete independence.

As for Northern Ireland, I would prefer to see it as an autonomous region within the Republic of Ireland, with whom they have for more in common with than the English or Welsh.

Ideally I would like to see both Northern Ireland and Scotland go there own way, leaving England and Wales together. We could then call our country the United Kingdom of England and Wales, and change our national flag to that of Saint Georges Cross with Y Ddraig Goch 'the Welsh Red Dragon' in the top left quadrant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    There are a lot of English out there high on nationalism and low on brain cells, the outcome doesn't shock me though it does surprise me in the wake of Jo Cox's murder and a month of football hooliganism from the sort of people of fly the Leave flag proudly. To throw your prime minister, currency and union to the sharks all because of an antiquated superiority complex forged from colonial times is darwinism on a national scale. Truly incredible and will be fascinating to see how this plays out. Seemingly a big education divide in the demographics voting for each, you wonder if those in favour of leaving truly understand the implications of what they've done.
    Wauw, are you 1 of Merkel's closest followers?

I hope more countries will follow soon if Brussels doesn't go and think over where it all went wrong and change this horrible implementation. Plenty of people in the western/northern countries of Europe have had enough of this horrible fourth reich that was created where every plot of sand that has it's own national flag can join and receive a bag of cash supplied by the richer countries. A unified Europe is good, but most certainly not where the wealthy advanced countries need to go in decline to achieve the same mediocrity for every country. 1 unified Europe is not possible as long as any shithole that considers itself a country can join up and profit from it. Eventually it will lead to decline of all.

Brexit is good for everybody. The UK got what it wanted, the rest whom are still stuck with the EU can hopefully benefit from an EU that will now understand it has to change if it wants to keep its population happy.

I don't really care about the financial and political ramifications of this event. It has zero influence on my life. However I find it very interesting in the sense that this could be the pivotal moment in history of which historians in the future will say the British Empire truly ended. We could potentially be witnessing the great historical event of an empire dying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Wales aren't Cornwall aren't leaving though

- - - Updated - - -

Wales & Cornwall voted leave
    That's not the point being made...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Scotland breaks even within the UK.
    I'm mostly thinking about how sustainable the tax base is etc.

I think that says more about your prejudices than anything about Scotland's motivation for seeking Independence.
    It's the impression I've got, but I hope it's the wrong one TBH.

Given how much "Sovereignty" featured in the EU referendum, it would be extremely hypocritical to deny it to others.
    We DID just give Scotland a referendum, give it a least a decade or two before trying again eh :P ?

There's a school of thought that goes along the lines of; Scotland becomes the successor state to the Uk in the EU.
    Possibly, though it might be awkward in other areas, and Westminster could plausibly throw a fit over having to be recognised as an independent state instead of Scotland etc :P .

Also the Spain thing has been debunked numerous times already. Spain's only problem would be in the event of UDI as that's the route Catalonia has to take since there is no constitutional mechanism for regions of Spain to leave. As long as it's not UDI, Spain wouldn't veto.
    I think it's hard to debunk in the sense that we don't know if it'll happen in the event of Catalonian independence.

= + =

I'm not cherry picking, I'm just stating a historical fact: the UK has been around a long time and it's worked in that time. Maybe not nicely (see: Ireland), or fairly (see: West Lothian question), but it's worked.

I'm not inserting my own biases into it like you are, but... well if it really hadn't worked over the last 300 years it kinda sorta wouldn't exist now :P .

If you insist, though I maintain it was a great thing for the world all in all.

Oh the EU isn't all bad, but like most Brexiteers, I think the good is greatly outweighed by the bad, that's all.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    NI isn't going to leave, 35% voted to stay, 28% voted to leave, 37% didn't care. They are never going to get Irish unification passed because 35% liked being in the EU. And even then there is no saying that 35% prefer being in the EU to the UK.
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-06-24 at 01:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Scotland will prolly leave uk to remain in the eu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, one has to admire the irony in the possibility that after the UK voted to leave the EU, their union may fall apart as a result of it. I don't wish harm on anyone else, but you had to see this coming.