doesn't want to allow players to purchase a full set of endgame raid gear with gold.

The team doesn't want to allow players to purchase a full set of endgame raid gear with gold, especially with the WoW Token providing a way to purchase gold.

Is anyone surprised by this comment?

I know I was when I came upon it while glancing through the highlights. Blizzard is consciously designing the game in a way which lessens the sales of the WoW tokens. Each token used is some one paying an extra $5 for a subscription to the game...

I'm a little taken aback by it, in a day and age where every game developer seems to be trying to make as much money as possible with micro transactions, ect, one will actually take a bit of a stand and say, you know what, it will negatively impact the game for a lot of players, even if it does make us a ton of money.

Probably doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of you guys, but it does mean something to me.

Just wants to share my thoughts on it and give a little but of a "kudos" to Blizzard for this.

Giving a "kudos" to Blizzard for this, this would be like giving a "kudos" to the chef for not shitting in your food and masturbating in your drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Giving a "kudos" to Blizzard for this, this would be like giving a "kudos" to the chef for not shitting in your food and masturbating in your drink.
    Not at all an accurate comparison.

This means crafted gear cannot be sold on the AH?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I really can't help but feel these two things are completely unrelated to each other. I really don't think Blizz wants the token to be a primary sub option for their player base. Instead allowing it to be another option. And the concept of not offering the purchase of the highest end items for gold is basic with MMORPG'S I'm astonished you even feel the need to mention the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Not at all an accurate comparison.
    Subjective. If I pay for my food I do not expect them to shit all over it.
    If I pay for a game monthly, I do not expect them to shit all over it. I honestly cannot get on anything worse with how the game currently works, than selling endgame gear for real money/gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subjective. If I pay for my food I do not expect them to shit all over it.
    If I pay for a game monthly, I do not expect them to shit all over it. I honestly cannot get on anything worse with how the game currently works, than selling endgame gear for real money/gold.
    In what way?

Blizzard isn't selling endgame gear for real money or gold. Nothing has particularly changed. People have bought high-level raiding runs since raiding has existed for gold, getting the gear that drops. BoE's have been sold for gold on the AH, again, since they've existed. People have bought gold from gold-selling sites since they started up. All Blizzard is doing now is making it more safe to purchase a small amount of that gold.

Can someone buy end-game gear with real money through this process? Yes, but you're looking at hundreds of dollars. I've seen most high-end mythic runs costing upwards of 300k, which is around $150 @ $20 a token (provided gold rate stays at 40k or so in the US). You're not guaranteed anything, of course, so it might take multiple runs, each one costing $150. If anyone is doing this, it's pretty damn rare. I can guarantee you less than a half of a percent of players could possibly be achieving something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    In what way?

Blizzard isn't selling endgame gear for real money or gold. Nothing has particularly changed.
    I think that is the point he is making though, Darsithis. To allow the buying of end game gear with gold would be shitting all over the game. They are saying they won't do that. He is saying giving someone "kudos" for not shitting all over something is kinda stupid. I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This means crafted gear cannot be sold on the AH?
    From what I can gather the base gear can be sold and maybe even the upgrade items. The Q&A indicated something along the lines that you have to obtain Blood of Sargaras to do the upgrades but was unclear about whether you could buy all the other things. My best guess is you can buy most of it and have to have some bloods to use the upgraders, otherwise you'd be required to have the profession that aligns with your class/spec gearing.

I think we'll see a great deal of the progress can be "bought with gold" but limited by blood aquisition in some minor way that won't drag token sales down too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    I think that is the point he is making though, Darsithis. To allow the buying of end game gear with gold would be shitting all over the game. They are saying they won't do that. He is saying giving someone "kudos" for not shitting all over something is kinda stupid. I tend to agree.
    Yeah I might have misunderstood what he was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    In what way?

Blizzard isn't selling endgame gear for real money or gold. Nothing has particularly changed. People have bought high-level raiding runs since raiding has existed for gold, getting the gear that drops. BoE's have been sold for gold on the AH, again, since they've existed. People have bought gold from gold-selling sites since they started up. All Blizzard is doing now is making it more safe to purchase a small amount of that gold.

Can someone buy end-game gear with real money through this process? Yes, but you're looking at hundreds of dollars. I've seen most high-end mythic runs costing upwards of 300k, which is around $150 @ $20 a token (provided gold rate stays at 40k or so in the US). You're not guaranteed anything, of course, so it might take multiple runs, each one costing $150. If anyone is doing this, it's pretty damn rare. I can guarantee you less than a half of a percent of players could possibly be achieving something like this.
    What I meant is as Thagrynor said. Them not selling it straight out is of course good, but giving them a "kudos" to not do it is just senseless. Of course you can buy boosts and such, but in my opinion, it is still in the gameplay. In order to get this boost, the raid instance is still done, the bosses are killed, and the skill required in order to clear the raid is present.

Not surprised at all. Although Blizzard is making it near impossible to buy the spider mount, they still want players to buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I meant is as Thagrynor said. Them not selling it straight out is of course good, but giving them a "kudos" to not do it is just senseless. Of course you can buy boosts and such, but in my opinion, it is still in the gameplay. In order to get this boost, the raid instance is still done, the bosses are killed, and the skill required in order to clear the raid is present.
    Yeah I have to agree with you. There is no need for a kudos here. Not selling the gear outright should be a matter of course.

This quote is bullshit. The devs dont want you to buy bloods with gold so that crafted gear is harder to make. You can still buy a whole set of raid gear, it will just cost more gold.

Bop bloods = higher crafting costs = more people buying tokens. Blizzard is still a for profit company. Every decision is calculated with profit in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by swango View Post
    This quote is bullshit. The devs dont want you to buy bloods with gold so that crafted gear is harder to make. You can still buy a whole set of raid gear, it will just cost more gold.

Bop bloods = higher crafting costs = more people buying tokens. Blizzard is still a for profit company. Every decision is calculated with profit in mind.
    This. They sure as hell don't mind selling you tokens for gold to pay for a 2 mill G mount. LOL

give it time...
    Once the initial revenue stream from legion has passed, blizz will be looking for new and exciting ways to milk $$ from the dedicated players. It's only a matter of time until endgame gear will be purchasable for real $$.

AH epics have been one of my biggest complaints for the game (particularly in WoD), so I'm very happy to hear they're moving in a better direction. I really hope they double down on this idea and nerf the BoE raid drops as well.

Deleted
    It's not losing them money. Read it carefully " full set" - they still could get the best of both by letting players buy some parts with tokens while still making them play paying a sub for months to get the remaining parts. Though either way it doesn't matter much as long as gold carries exist.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2016-06-24 at 07:35 PM.