Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is anything, that isn't a fact, debatable?

Specifically moral judgements according to character, thinking etc. (neuropsychology.)

No poll, just curious about other people reasoning. Thanks.

even facts are debatable. ever heard of religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    even facts are debatable. ever heard of religion?
    No they're not.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    No they're not.
    evolution?

even facts are debatable. ever heard of science?

FTFY
    my point is that religion makes fact debatable. so you didnt fix it you broke it

The only possible answer is "yes."
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2016-06-25 at 01:10 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe sex ? like who doesnt like sex...

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Specifically moral judgements according to character, thinking etc. (neuropsychology.)

No poll, just curious about other people reasoning. Thanks.
    Yes. Anything that cannot be shown to be empirically true is up for debate. This includes things we consider 'common sense' like our morals. Morality is relative and based on society and culture.

Everything is debatable, and to challenge even the most established is needed in order to move us forward. Heck it is how science functions to begin with. Of course some things are more possible than others. Some things are rather meaningless to debate for the common man though, as they have far too limited knowledge to properly discuss it, so it makes more sense to simply regard the vast consensus of people who actually know stuff, as fact. Morality and such are purely subjective matters that should of course be discussed. Of course for a good discussion to take place, either side has to be open to changing their mindset and learn something new, and not be stuck in their current mindset/delusion. Hence why religion is often so hard to discuss.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    No they're not.
    What facts would prove there is no god?

You can just decide that reality isn't real, and just like that you have now dismissed all facts.

As for morality I very much do believe that there is a factual objective morality, which is basically the "Harm-principle".
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2016-06-25 at 01:16 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    evolution?

my point is that religion makes fact debatable. so you didnt fix it you broke it
    When did evolution become a fact? Did I miss the memo?

People debate facts every day, choosing not to believe in them for whatever reason. For example because you'd rather believe that a man came back from the dead...

People also don't know the difference between a theory that you or I might have, and a SCIENTIFIC theory.

What we consider to be a fact could turn out to be wrong, wasn't the earth being flat a fact at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    When did evolution become a fact? Did I miss the memo?
    It's always been a fact, we just didn't know it was a fact until recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Not the job of a skeptic to prove god doesn't exist, it's the reverse.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That would wildly depend on what your definition of what god is.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperOwnz View Post
    What we consider to be a fact could turn out to be wrong, wasn't the earth being flat a fact at one time?
    That's kind of a misrepresentation. There is a much higher standard for science nowadays than there was back when the earth being flat was a common belief. That said, they also don't call things facts nowadays unless they are as near to 100% positive about it as humanly possible.

Morality is an invention. No such thing actually exists as an inherent thing or state of being.

A fact is already indisputable. That is exactly what a fact is- indisputable. However, the actual validity of a supposed fact is what we as humans often are debating. OP question is logically faulty.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Not the job of a skeptic to prove god doesn't exist, it's the reverse.
    Why would I need to? To understand that you would need to understand the parable of the seed sower and the good and bad ground. But proving he does not exist is impossible when whatever facts you come up with can only deal with the physical world. But this is getting into a forbidden subject here. lol. So I will not say anymore about this here.

Deleted
    Problem is the people who think their opinion = fact when the statistics tell you otherwise.
    Somehow those people always win the debate because the other party cant be arsed to discuss opinion vs fact.