Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dolphin Emulator 5.0 released. Gamecube / Wii Emulator

Note: I don't know if its a problem on these forums to talk about emulators? Regardless do not post any links to ISO's.

So the new Dolphin Emulator is out, I don't really know how many people know what it is so I will give a quick explanation.

Its a wii & gamecube emulator, it supports the smash 4 wii u adapter so you can use your gamecube controller on your pc and it also supports wii motes, kongo bongos etc. You can use it to play online, it is commenly used to play SSB: Melee and Project M online. More info on that here: https://www.smashladder.com/help/netplay-guides (I'll take any EU players on that have a decent ping )

Ontop of that this is probably the best supported emulator to ever exist and I use it daily for that glorious 4k downscaled Melee HD. So if you wanna play one of those classics like sunshine or windwaker but do not have a CRT anymore and CBA looking at that ugly upscale, this is the way to go.

For any questions or issues feel to drop a reply and I'll see if I can help.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-24 at 07:41 PM.

I thought it was already out?

I tried to get it to work on my Kindle (Android) but Gamecube ROMs wouldn't work. So I gave up. I did have it on my laptop to test it. Seemed okay. Idk if I want to go as far as Wii-U stuff but pretty cool they actually can emulate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I thought it was already out?

I tried to get it to work on my Kindle (Android) but Gamecube ROMs wouldn't work. So I gave up. I did have it on my laptop to test it. Seemed okay. Idk if I want to go as far as Wii-U stuff but pretty cool they actually can emulate that.
    There was a public beta for a while but this is the first release. This can only emulate GC/WII stuff but there is a wii-u emulator altho that has alot of work to go.

We just had a topic of people screaming about piracy and buying from thieves and then there's this topic that has been here for almost an entire day and has been largely ignored.

Kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    We just had a topic of people screaming about piracy and buying from thieves and then there's this topic that has been here for almost an entire day and has been largely ignored.

Kind of funny.
    Eh, people use emulators legit for games they already paid Nintendo/others for long ago and until Nintendo gets off their ass and starts putting their gamecube library on the eshop this is the only means of preservation for those games with a clean image.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Eh, people use emulators legit for games they already paid Nintendo/others for long ago and until Nintendo gets off their ass and starts putting their gamecube library on the eshop this is the only means of preservation for those games with a clean image.
    I know different things are different, but you and I know that emulators are far more likely to be used for piracy than backing up physical collections.

I know different things are different, but you and I know that emulators are far more likely to be used for piracy than backing up physical collections.
    To each their own, but I feel like the majority of people playing on emulators are playing a game they once owned and played before(even if they don't necessarily own it anymore).

Say someone lost their copy of Paper Mario Thousand Year Door how are they supposed to get a new legit copy and compensate Nintendo for it again? Give some dude $100 for it on ebay which Nintendo gets 0 of?

While emulation is certainly used for piracy, I highly doubt most users of it are blatant thieves and there are no legit ways of acquiring gamecube games from Nintendo anymore anyways. Nintendo has like nothing to complain about until they start offering a legitimate way to acquire the games from them(and they have no excuse as the Wii U can play GC games natively they just refuse to release them for w/e reason)

Now that Wii U emulator that's progressing on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    snip
    I think you have much higher faith in the general attitudes of gamers than I do. I believe that because piracy has gotten far easier you have more people getting into it since the technical hurdle has been set so low. Devices have become more prevalent and the guides and software for jailbreaking them becomes increasingly easier. I know many people who have large libraries of games on their cell phones and I find it hard to believe they ever owned even a large portion of them.

But you do have a valid point about hardware becoming obsolete and software not being made available despite obviously being in demand. But that's a gray area I expect someone like myself to occupy.

I totally misread the topic and thought it said "simulator" and was prepared for some random game that let you play as a dolphin...... woops

emulators are fun though -- it's always cool to go back and play the classics. Hell, I still have my NES hooked up to my flat screen when I want to play Super Mario Bros and Paper Boy.

People complain that games these days are too difficult, and than I remember that these damn games almost seem harder than what I play now! lol

I still got my original gamecube hooked up to my CRT but sometimes you just wanna play online and then I use my emulator.

10+ Year Old Account
    How's the stability compared to 4.whatever it is?

I know some games (coughGaleOfDarkness) have some gnarly graphical glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How's the stability compared to 4.whatever it is?

I know some games (coughGaleOfDarkness) have some gnarly graphical glitches.
    They fixed a hell of alot of those graphical glitches caused by that engine, so even tho I haven't been able to test it myself I woudn't be surprised if you have zero issues.

Pretty sure this thread is against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Pretty sure this thread is against the rules.
    If it is feel free to report it and have a mod take a look but I doubt it would be? Emulators are not illigal in any shape or form and only sharing the ISO's or nand files is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF9YuO0alrs& Mario galaxy 2 running on a AMD cpu smooth as butter now due to 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    If it is feel free to report it and have a mod take a look but I doubt it would be? Emulators are not illigal in any shape or form and only sharing the ISO's or nand files is. <snippety>
    Yip, but good luck convincing the local crowd =)
    CU... ...or CF ?

Kind of funny.
    Yeah, morally grey and morally grey apparently aren't equal. I guess we first need some vloggers picking it up before its the bad kind of grey.

Edit: That said, obviously I'm in favor of both.

Most emulators need a copyrighted bios to run games on them, so even though they aren't breaking any copyright laws by existing they do need to in order to function.. At least the ones I've used like PSXe. I still have hard copies of playstation games and play them via emulation, undoubtly though the major draw is piracy related.

I personally tried and failed to get Panzer Dragoon Saga emulated and running with an illegally downloaded Rom version.. Short of paying out £200 for a copy (it's rare and highly collectable) it's the only way to play the game at all, sadly I did not succeed.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Most emulators need a copyrighted bios to run games on them, so even though they aren't breaking any copyright laws by existing they do need to in order to function.. At least the ones I've used like PSXe. I still have hard copies of playstation games and play them via emulation, undoubtly though the major draw is piracy related.

I personally tried and failed to get Panzer Dragoon Saga emulated and running with an illegally downloaded Rom version.. Short of paying out £200 for a copy (it's rare and highly collectable) it's the only way to play the game at all, sadly I did not succeed.
    1) Dolphin doesn't need a bios dump.

2) Even for emulators that do require one you can very easily dump your own bios legally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried googling "smash 4 wii u adapter" but don't think I'm finding the right thing. Can someone post a link? Being able to hook up my GC controller to my PC would be awesome lol.

Being the proud owner of a 4k TV, Wii games look like ass on it. I want to get back into Monster Hunter Tri (still one of my favorites), but it is so fucking pixelated on my TV that it's almost unplayable. Several other games have been sitting on shelf waiting to be fired up again, but even with the HDMI adapter for the Wii, they still look like ass. Being able to play these games again would be amazing.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2016-06-26 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I tried googling "smash 4 wii u adapter" but don't think I'm finding the right thing. Can someone post a link? Being able to hook up my GC controller to my PC would be awesome lol.
    If you just want your gc controller hooked up to PC just get a Chinese adapter(search gamecube to usb for example) for cheap on amazon or ebay. You don't need the official Wii U adapter to do that, which will cost a lot more money.