Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Oh cool, the thread is still full of "experts" that largely still don't know what a flop is.
    Its not completely full of experts, there are one or two fanboys in here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Weird considering early China estimates were at $350M+. The film is underperforming with general audiences in most of the world. It doesn't have much to do with the audience and everything to do with the quality of the film they made.
    Nah, dude, the real "fans" are the ones who love the movie for exactly what it is! You're clearly not a real Warcraft fan if you didn't love the movie. :^)

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie is a flop because Universal focused the marketing on its fan-base and the fans didn´t show up for the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not true. The fans showed up, there just wasn't much of anyone else who cared.
    in NA yes, in any other country the movie did well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It saw major drops in viewers in many places. Which is interpreted as fans showing up for it and nobody else. With the opening it had in China it should have easily made $300M, right now it's at $218.43 and #5 at their box office making around $1.5M a day.
    Still more that many Marvel movies and SH movies like X-Men. So the audience is there.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you call 2 many... Sure. The Incredible Hulk and CA:TFA. X-Men movies had bigger domestic success which translates to more money. Not to mention making 4x their budget with the first film...
    IN CHINA. Warcraft made more cash in CHINA than Civil War.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is definitely a market for a sequel amongst Warcraft/WoW fans I wonder whether they would forego a cinema release altogether and go straight to a DVD release?
    They'll release it to theaters. While it is a definitive flop in the US, it made enough internationally (mostly in China) that they will potentially greenlight a sequel again. Foreign markets love US schlocky CGI / action flicks...in this case far more than usual (89.4% of the money is from foreign markets...the highest I've ever seen for a US movie; usually it is 70% to 80% from foreign markets no matter how good/bad).

Keep in mind that Universal didn't make tons of money off of this. They only get 1/2 of the money from the movie ticket sales, so $412 million translates into $206 million. Subtract out the $160 million budget and typically $5 to $10 million in advertising (that is usually outside the published budgets), and they only made $35 to $40 million. Considering how horribly bad it did in the US (plummeted to number 11 this weekend), the DVD sales probably won't pull in much either.

That means that a sequel isn't guaranteed despite the optimism of Duncan Jones. If a sequel is greenlit, expect it to be tilted more towards Chinese expectations where they know an audience is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacashamanica View Post
    IN CHINA. Warcraft made more cash in CHINA than Civil War.
    Domestic, Civil War -179mil vs Warcraft 23mil. As it stands now, Warcraft only did 14mil better then Civil War but the story is the huge gap on the Domestic end..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    It sucked. It sucked so damn hard. I actually felt a little embarrassed watching it.
    I mentioned on the WoW Facebook feed that I thought it kinda sucked, and got this response from a diehard fan:

Good to see that some people are judging the movie on nothing but the plot.
    Wait you got an angry shitty response on Facebook? No way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

they should have focused on the lore instead of turning it into a capeshit action movie. why the fuck start from the beginning but not even show how gul'dan came in contact with the burning legion and learned of fel magic? because as usual, blizzard underestimated it's audience. alien-demons would have been too complicated to throw in the mix. and what was up with all the tacky plastic gems glued to all the armor and set pieces? king llane's crown looked like plastic!

i think we can finally confirm that duncan jones is a poor director. moon and source code only did well because jake gyllenhaal and sam rockwell are good actors that can get by with a bad director.
    Last edited by Cute Chen; 2016-06-27 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    Right now the movie is still in the red. At its current rate it stands a fair chance of breaking even, but profit will be minimal for this movie and that bodes poorly for a sequel.
    Unless someone finds out the marketing budget we don't know whether it's in the red or not. Here's what we do know:

Warcraft:
    Production budget - $160m
    International gross - at least $412m

Pacific Rim:
    Production budget - $180m
    International gross - $411m

So it's already more successful than Pacific Rim in those terms (ie ignoring marketing budget which we don't know for either film).

They're kind of similar really, both are heavy CGI films without big name lead actors (and frankly both have... uneven acting let's say), both made most of their money outside the US, both are aimed at a nerdy market with a fanservicey mindset, both were poorly marketed domestically (allegedly)...

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's been explained many times in this thread why you're completely wrong.
    Well it's been asserted.

Nobody in this thread knows whether this movie will turn a profit or not, unless you're going to tell me you work for Legendary's accounting department.

If it does get a sequel, what kind will it be?

The companies will see the fans turned out for it, but the general public was meh. So it will be aimed at fans, with no-name actors and slashed production budgets.
    This was already aimed at fans with no-name actors :P

Slashed budget... maybe. Seems like the budget all went into the CGI anyway. We'll have to wait and see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zozobra View Post
    they should have focused on the lore instead of turning it into a capeshit action movie. why the fuck start from the beginning but not even show how gul'dan came in contact with the burning legion and learned of fel magic?
    Because the movie is a straight adaptation of Warcraft 1 and that stuff didn't happen until much later retcons.

More realistically, they didn't want to crowd an already complicated plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Directors cut bluray will earn a lot. Do some media* preorder bonus' like WoW pet and hearthstone things that'll likely net them an easy million preorders at $25 a pop.
    I'm really hoping for a big director's cut. Apparently there was a lot of cut material.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    That means that a sequel isn't guaranteed despite the optimism of Duncan Jones. If a sequel is greenlit, expect it to be tilted more towards Chinese expectations where they know an audience is located.
    I don't know what to make of speculation like that, what do films do differently to "pander" to Chinese audiences? Allegedly The Dark Knight had the Hong Kong heist scene for that reason, and supposedly parts of the last Bayformers movie were set in China for the same reason. I have no idea if this kind of thing even works.

Michael Bay's shitty movies were the same garbage before and after they discovered the power of the Chinese market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Weird considering early China estimates were at $350M+. The film is underperforming with general audiences in most of the world. It doesn't have much to do with the audience and everything to do with the quality of the film they made.
    Early estimates were never 350 mil regardless if the pre-sales were crazy.It was one more week in cHina and it will bring around a total of 235-240(currently 223)
    Thats a huge load of money.
    Irt had fantatic performances in RUssia(22 mil)-Germany -France-Spain. and a total of 80 mil in eUrope al is fantastic.

But 43 million in fucking USA? 43? With a total estimation of 47? THis is discusting, even if the general audience refused to watch the movie i just cannot accept the fact turned their back SO much in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    They'll release it to theaters. While it is a definitive flop in the US, it made enough internationally (mostly in China) that they will potentially greenlight a sequel again. Foreign markets love US schlocky CGI / action flicks...in this case far more than usual (89.4% of the money is from foreign markets...the highest I've ever seen for a US movie; usually it is 70% to 80% from foreign markets no matter how good/bad).

Keep in mind that Universal didn't make tons of money off of this. They only get 1/2 of the money from the movie ticket sales, so $412 million translates into $206 million. Subtract out the $160 million budget and typically $5 to $10 million in advertising (that is usually outside the published budgets), and they only made $35 to $40 million. Considering how horribly bad it did in the US (plummeted to number 11 this weekend), the DVD sales probably won't pull in much either.

You could be right but I am not so sure, time will tell.

As far as I can tell it is yet to make any money for the companies behind it and even it has broken even having $160+million tied up for the best part of two years without an appreciable return is not great. Simply put it would have been better in terms of risk and return for Legendary/Universal to have left the money in a low interest bank account.

With regard to DVD sales I do not think it is a stretch to suggest that there is potentially a large market of players who would buy multiple copies; theatrical version, extended version, director's cut, etc and this could be boosted even further by in game give-aways such as pets, mounts, transmog.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Incorrect. Rental and DVD/Blu-ray sales will easily spike it over break even point now.
    So the movie will just make a little over break even. Sequels tend not to do as well as the first. China will probably have to find 10 times more flooded theatres to sell tickets for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I'm sure that is a BS number. It is officially estimated to have cost $160,000,000 to make the Warcraft movie. It has easily passed that.
    Someone should go count how many times this kind of asinine post has been said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by subxaero View Post
    Cancerous US fanbase and i leave it here.

More than 220mil in China

A very good 75-80million in EUrope( considerably smaller market than both US and China)

And bloody 44 million in US?THat means even fan base turned their back to the movie.Sad bunch of retards, movie only failed in the states and did great everyhwere else.wIth just 100 miln domestic we could be talking about a sum of 550mil.

Nothing less expected from trashes with 0 sense of loyalty and who listen to critics as much as their parents.Pathetic
    Nah, we're just smart enough to avoid shit movies.

- - - Updated - - -

If it does get a sequel, what kind will it be?

The companies will see the fans turned out for it, but the general public was meh. So it will be aimed at fans, with no-name actors and slashed production budgets.
    It will release in china and the rest of the world will get it straight to dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Nah, we're just smart enough to avoid shit movies.
    That's exactly the problem though. As someone who knows all the lore surrounding Warcraft and what great movies could be made out of that - THATS why you should go see it alone. Warcraft isn't the best movie ever, far from it. It has its flaws but it also has its moments.

By "avoiding" this now, you may potentially make the execs at Legendary turn their back on the franchise. I for one would love to see more of the cinematic Warcraft universe - and I am not a big fan of the first movie.

Deleted

Someone should go count how many times this kind of asinine post has been said.
    The movie made money. That's why people make movies. To make money. What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The movie made money. That's why people make movies. To make money. What is your point?
    The point is that it didn't make money (didn't even pay for itself yet).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The point is that it didn't make money (didn't even pay for itself yet).
    I haven't see any definitive source for how much it needs to break-even, but it is patently going to exceed any number I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well it's been asserted.
    Yes, it's such a dubious assertion that marketing budgets are nonzero, and that theaters don't show movies for free.

/rollseyes

- - - Updated - - -

It will release in china and the rest of the world will get it straight to dvd.
    It could also follow this strategy, as described by The Onion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    Isn't the salary for actors/participants etc. already included in the budget?
    Yes, it is.

The movie has not only broken even but made a profit higher than what they predicted by a large, large margin and secures the right for sequels to be made. I didn't particularly enjoy the movie, just bringing some facts to the table when there's a lot of uneducated and straight up wrong information being spread.