Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Do cards at the end of matches say much about your team?

Say at the end there were 4 of the enemy teams and only 1 on your team, is it safe to say your team sucked at this point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Say at the end there were 4 of the enemy teams and only 1 on your team, is it safe to say your team sucked at this point?
    Its quite likely, but not 100% I've won games and its been 5x enemy team on the cards which means it was pure luck, or individually you are all worse but had better teamwork

The whole "card" system is as broken as POTG game, you can have 3 or 4 gold medals(including most kills) and your card will show nonsense like "people teleported" or "damage blocked" or "Transcendence healing" ... or when I got 5x gold as soldier 76 and the card just says "kills/killstreak"

i have been in plenty of matches where the opposite team has had all 4 cards at the end...

and still managed to lose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post
    The whole "card" system is as broken as POTG game, you can have 3 or 4 gold medals(including most kills) and your card will show nonsense like "people teleported" or "damage blocked" or "Transcendence healing" ... or when I got 5x gold as soldier 76 and the card just says "kills/killstreak"
    FWIW, what text it shows seems to be random if you've earned a card.

I usually play with a couple friends and often when they get a card, we will all see different things.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I've lost very close matches where the enemy team got lucky with some ults and managed to push the cart to the end at the end of an overtime and win, and my team still got all the cards (and vice versa). I would like to think it means the team with the cards has performed better as a whole but...

Then you get cards like number of people teleported, or one I got today on Symmetra (that my friends laughed at me for) that said 70% shield uptime (with 5 shields). It was pretty sad!

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a card for playing that sucky piece of shut known as Torbjorn. Didn't even do much the whole match. Didn't even have a good molten core killing spree.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also had instances where I got PotG but didn't get a card.
    Putin khuliyo

The cards are pretty random as far as I know. Yes, it's picking a players 'good stats' from a match, but most of the time the subject on the card is not even relevant to the match.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah it all just depends. I've won games in absolute blow outs where the enemy team will have all the cards. All the crazy damage/kill streaks/absorb damage won't save you if your team ignores the objective of the game. All that matters at the went is that W or L.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Not necessarily, I've won games and had only red cards, or majority red to pick from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I've also had instances where I got PotG but didn't get a card.
    Actually this seems to be a norm, that PotG doesn't get a card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I doubt there's any intentional exclusivity there. Simply that getting PotG doesn't actually suggest that you had any high overall stats to pop up on the cards.
    Yeah, the cards are based on the best stats of the game. The PotG is really more of a "one hit wonder" kind of thing, although certainly it can be the case that the play wasn't just a "one hit" and that a user has both.

It's hard for the system to recognise the influence certain things have on the game and give them adequate credit, so the cards and play, to a lesser extent, might not always reflect the true mvps of a match. It's not going to pick up the player that suicided to trigger the overtime that led to the win, or who distracts the other team enough for points to be taken and payloads to be moved, or that lucio that does the perfect knockback to get the enemies off the objective and allow overtime to time out, although those little things can certainly be gamechangers. I played a game last night where we were just getting stomped; they were back harassing us at the spawn point. The reaper in our group perfectly timed and executed his ult in a way that allowed me to sneak past the group and cap the objective before their team could rez and getback . I don't remember if he got a card or a play or how many people he even killed with it, but he definitely was the only reason we won that match. To the game it might have just looked like any other successful ult, but to us it was the sole reason for our win. (thanks, pug reaper!)

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I've lost very close matches where the enemy team got lucky with some ults and managed to push the cart to the end at the end of an overtime and win, and my team still got all the cards (and vice versa). I would like to think it means the team with the cards has performed better as a whole but...

Then you get cards like number of people teleported, or one I got today on Symmetra (that my friends laughed at me for) that said 70% shield uptime (with 5 shields). It was pretty sad!
    My friend was in a match that was faceroll, and the Roadhog on his team got a card for 100% hook accuracy, with 6 hooks thrown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah, the cards are based on the best stats of the game. The PotG is really more of a "one hit wonder" kind of thing, although certainly it can be the case that the play wasn't just a "one hit" and that a user has both.

It's hard for the system to recognise the influence certain things have on the game and give them adequate credit, so the cards and play, to a lesser extent, might not always reflect the true mvps of a match. It's not going to pick up the player that suicided to trigger the overtime that led to the win, or who distracts the other team enough for points to be taken and payloads to be moved, or that lucio that does the perfect knockback to get the enemies off the objective and allow overtime to time out, although those little things can certainly be gamechangers. I played a game last night where we were just getting stomped; they were back harassing us at the spawn point. The reaper in our group perfectly timed and executed his ult in a way that allowed me to sneak past the group and cap the objective before their team could rez and getback . I don't remember if he got a card or a play or how many people he even killed with it, but he definitely was the only reason we won that match. To the game it might have just looked like any other successful ult, but to us it was the sole reason for our win. (thanks, pug reaper!)
    One of the biggest problems I have as Zarya is tied to this. I use ult, catch 4-5 people in it, and Pharah uses her ult to kill all of them. My ult let her rake in those kills, but we probably could've killed them without her ult, whereas mine stopped them from running away, setting up a better place. That's not to say that her ult doesn't deserve PotG, it's just that as Zarya get almost no recognition for it (unless I'm in a group with friends).

That said, Zarya is fun to play, so I'll keep playing her

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    My friend was in a match that was faceroll, and the Roadhog on his team got a card for 100% hook accuracy, with 6 hooks thrown.
    Well, I mean.. At least he hit all 6, I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, playing Zarya is just asking to go totally unappreciated, it seems.
    Basically my Zarya games are just me saying "Gratz on PotG" when someone gets 4 kills in my ult

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Well, I mean.. At least he hit all 6, I guess?
    This is true though.

I've had a few where it's my ult gave someone PotG, but usually they're pretty happy. I did have one, however, where I got PotG from Mei ulting, and then me using my ult to drag them back into Mei's ult, for Reaper to ult on top of that. I guess it's because I used my alt fire on them before they died and it counted as a 5 person kill for me, while Reaper and Mei only got credit for like, 3 of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play her A LOT and I find people generally appreciate her, even if they don't say much. I've had people on the enemy team saying I should have gotten PotG when one of my teammates got it due to my ult, and everyone can see in those PotG clips that it was the Zarya ult that caused the PotG, even if she didn't get it. If I do really well and get a card for shields and such, I've even been upvoted by teammates over other cards on my team (including the support) and sometimes by the enemy team as well. A well played Zarya is one of the worst things to have on the enemy team!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone understands that in the case of Zarya (or Mei freezing a group) for others to kill with their ults that it was a combo effort. Even if you don't get the Play clip, it's super obvious visually the impact those characters had on the deaths, which is the important part IMO.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I think everyone understands that in the case of Zarya (or Mei freezing a group) for others to kill with their ults that it was a combo effort. Even if you don't get the Play clip, it's super obvious visually the impact those characters had on the deaths, which is the important part IMO.
    Like the PotG I made happen once, that it was D.Va ulting on our last point, being sniped by the enemy widowmaker as she hops out of the mech, and then you just see me as Zarya running by her dead body to ult their team back onto the mech they tried to outrun.

In the case of 3 cards being the enemy team and 1 card being your team it means that they statistically were out performing you, however, that doesn't mean that the team with more won the game. The cards seem to be independent of who wins or loses the game.

The cards seem to be completely random. It's like if the game randomly picks a few people and then tries to figure out what it can award them cards for.
    One game I played today both teams had a Mercy, and they both played quite good. Who ended up getting the healing card? S76, with just over 300 hp healed. o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    The cards seem to be completely random. It's like if the game randomly picks a few people and then tries to figure out what it can award them cards for.
    One game I played today both teams had a Mercy, and they both played quite good. Who ended up getting the healing card? S76, with just over 300 hp healed. o_O
    It's more likely that S76 got a card for some other aspect(s) of the game and the stat it chose to display for you was his healing stat. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the text it says on the card seems to be fairly random although whether one is earned seems based on actual stats. For example, a friend might get a card for his play as Reaper, and I might see "four gold medals," he might see "13000 damage done," another friend might see "36% accuracy" and another player might see "3 ults used," the latter of which doesn't sound particularly impressive. I know from friends reading the cards at the end of the match that we often see completely different data, and some of it is dumber than others... but earning the card itself seems fairly legit (unlike PotG where you can be garbage otherwise and just have a brief good moment).

Also AFAIK, there isn't a "healing card" although healers can be picked if their stats are great.

| twitch | bsky
    |