Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    With X ϵ {}?
    See two posts above

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Very few countries of note actually vote directly for the president. Most have some sort of democratic and representative hybrid system. From what I can gleam even your country does not do that?
    Finland votes directly for the president, indeed, and pretty much anyone can run. Either as the representative of one of our several parties, or as an independent nominee, although that requires the backing of 20000 people. Which isn't much, to be honest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    See my location Perfectly aware of it.
    Oh sorry, I am still stuck at work till 7pm cet time and I try to answer between phone calls .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Berserker View Post
    So then it's not a Democracy.
    And who are heads chosen by?

You know if you want semantics then there is not 1 demoratic country in the world. We would have to have like 50 referendums a day to get shit done if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    We gave the power to our respective leaders to choose our future for us. Do you want to have a vote on what to eat for breakfast?
    Ah you see, here in Britain we don't have one supreme overlord who is elected once and then gets to make all the choices without discussions with Parliament.

If there was a European Parliament maybe I'd agree.

If there isn't a European Parliament what does MEP stand for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It should be pointed out that the next Prime Minister will have no democratic mandate.

In theory in a general election you vote for an MP not a Prime Minister. David Cameron's is not on the ballot except in his own constituency.
    Well he is from Finland afaik and they also only vote for representatives. That the UK also does not vote directly is the same. It is this inane argument that the EU oh so undemocratic. People hold far less powerful institution to to far higher standard than their own government. All this shows is that we still have a lot to do to teach the population. I learned about the EU in school and I barely remember anything of that. If I hadn't personally refreshed that memory I might make the same false arguments. People barely know how their own country's democracy works for the most part, and people care far less about the EU elections every 5 years. The only time they care is when they need a scapegoat because their morning-shit wasn't soft enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah you see, here in Britain we don't have one supreme overlord who is elected once and then gets to make all the choices without discussions with Parliament.

Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Out of interest did you mean "London" when you wrote "Britain" (which I fixed to England for you).

I get you can be cranky sometimes but yeah, think you're doing a little disservice to a lot of the UK claiming it has no culture and no identity.
    I'm not a Londoner, and I know the other parts of the UK pretty well. Apart from Edinburgh, parts of London, maybe Bristol it is a cultural desert.

The culture most people had in the UK was centred around the public house. These are shutting at an exponential rate. When I was a child you used to see hundreds of kids playing on green spaces-that doesn't happen anymore particulary due to sell-offs of public land. British people do not interact with each other. No one even takes an interest in football any more.
    To a large extent people have been priced out of the market below affluent middle-class level.

There are no great businesses being developed, no ambitious projects, even the jewel in the crown that used to be the music scene is pretty uninteresting at the moment.

So, no I don't see any evidence of culture or identity anywhere.

You mean the Queen? You also don't vote directly for your PM and the cabinet he forms.

P.S. Next year you will be in rotation to get the Presidency of the Council of the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Finland votes directly for the president, indeed, and pretty much anyone can run. Either as the representative of one of our several parties, or as an independent nominee, although that requires the backing of 20000 people. Which isn't much, to be honest.
    Fine, then Finland is one of the few countries (apparently your presidents powers are severely limited though, that's at least what most of the web references said). I guess I can see how one can have it as a standard then (even though it is ultimately pointless).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25280591

I don't think the banner was to blame really. I think the pilot had to listen to him one on one and just decided to nosedive and went all terminator mode after. Or, maybe our future selves sent him back in time.
    yeah found it, pilot is dead now tho, seems like he suffered from mental illness after.

If there isn't a European Parliament what does MEP stand for?
    Calling it a Parliament doesn't really make it a Parliament when you have a president at it's head.

Also last I checked, MEP's vary wildly on how they're put into office.

I'm not a Londoner, and I know the other parts of the UK pretty well. Apart from Ediburgh, parts of London, maybe Bristol it is a cultural desert.
    Manchester, Liverpool, Brighton....

Pretty much all of the South Coast of Wales out to Pembrokeshire....

I dunno, I'm not saying you're utterly wrong in your description; just you were being a little overdramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted

The who and the what now?

The EP discusses with each other. That's how it works. It's not a supreme overlord, otherwise UK would be out by now.
    You still choose a PM who gets most of the power. He chooses for you. How is that different?

Calling it a Parliament doesn't really make it a Parliament when you have a president at it's head.

Also last I checked, MEP's vary wildly on how they're put into office.
    Yeah - by voting.

Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    Farage Antidote - 1 View PRN - repeat hourly until nausea and feelings of utter shame in your fellow citizens is replaced by the notion "TWAT!" and a chortle

http://i.imgur.com/GrqUX.jpg
    Sadly the pilot apparently never recovered from that crash, wheres Derange walked away from it.

Deleted
    Manchester, Liverpool, Brighton....

Pretty much all of the South Coast of Wales out to Pembrokeshire....

I dunno, I'm not saying you're utterly wrong in your description; just you were being a little overdramatic
    I know Wales pretty well. The Welsh are good people, if a bit irritating. The place is the virtual definition of a cultural desert. Given the choice between Wales and Somalia I'd choose the latter.

As a Southerner I'm biased but I never found much of interest in Mancester or Liverpool. Brighton is a seaside resort. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but not especially unique among european tourist resorts apart from the fact that it is colder.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    You mean the Queen? You also don't vote directly for your PM and the cabinet he forms.

P.S. Next year you will be in rotation to get the Presidency of the Council of the EU.
    Hah, your anti-brit ignorance is showing considering the Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.

- - - Updated - - -

I know Wales pretty well. The Welsh are good people, if a bit irritating. The place is the virtual definition of a cultural desert. Given the choice between Wales and Somalia I'd choose the latter.

As a Southerner I'm biased but I never found much of interest in Mancester or Liverpool. Brighton is a seaside resort. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but not especially unique among european tourist resorts apart from the fact that it is colder.
    That's pretty ironic coming from a southerner. where culture literally does not exist.

Hah, your anti-brit ignorance is showing considering the Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty ironic coming from a southerner. where culture literally does not exist.
    Did you vote for her?