Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Yeah - by voting.
    Not to mention it's entirely up to your country how you select them, if there are indeed such sweeping differences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Berserker View Post
    Hah, your anti-brit ignorance is showing considering the Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.
    So the same then?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    So the same then?
    We don't need the Queen's signature to enact laws.

We don't need the Queen's signature to enact laws.
    But your unelected Lords can veto anything.

Deleted
    I tell you it was Merkel. She's the reason the brits have it so bad

And can be in turn Vetoed by the House of Commons.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not to mention it's entirely up to your country how you select them, if there are indeed such sweeping differences.
    As far as I know, the UK votes for its MEP.

Deleted
    Hah, your anti-brit ignorance is showing considering the Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty ironic coming from a southerner. where culture literally does not exist.
    That was my point. The UK is a cultural desert without any kind of community. There is literally almost nothing for any one here unless they want to go into finance. Virtually any career you care to have would have better opporunties in europe.

And can be in turn Vetoed by the House of Commons.
    It is still "undemocratic" to have non-elected officials veto elected ones, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    I tell you it was Merkel. She's the reason the brits have it so bad
    Ironically no, it's just an Anti-British Europe trying to do everything in it's bureaucratic power to drag down strong countries for the sake of the weak ones.

Deleted
    As far as I know, the UK votes for its MEP.
    Not the individual mep. You vote for a party.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The place is the virtual definition of a cultural desert.
    Fair enough. I guess I didn't/don't really understand the definition of cultural desert then. For me a lot of it has to do with music and art; of which Wales hardly lacks talent, even if they end up moving to London for work

Wasn't Liverpool voted European centre of Culture recently? Can't be so bad if that is the case; or is this an utterly subjective issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

That was my point. The UK is a cultural desert without any kind of community. There is literally almost nothing for any one here unless they want to go into finance. Virtually any career you care to have would have better opporunties in europe.
    Hahahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Irony of the Southerner saying the UK is a cultural desert is astounding. have you even lived outside of your little southern bubble?

Not the individual mep. You vote for a party.
    Well that's a bit odd. Where I am from we vote for individual MEP, selected by each party that's part of the current parliament.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Akala? We reading the same verse methinks? (That or I'm confusing who I read it from but it was almost verbatim what you wrote)
    I believe it was by someone from the FT, I don't recall the author's name but it was about the three tragedies of the referendum; the other two were that the working class screwed themselves, and the old screwed the young.

Ah you see, here in Britain we don't have one supreme overlord who is elected once and then gets to make all the choices without discussions with Parliament.

If there was a European Parliament maybe I'd agree.
    Maximum facepalm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Jones View Post
    For the first of all, I want to say hello to everyone since this is my first post on this very forum (i've been a lurker for a very long time) So um.. yeah hello. I want to reply to the part of Whiskeyjack post.

I am very glad your wife moved to UK and she found her happines in UK but I must disagree with your opinion about life quality in Poland. I used to live in UK from 2006 to 2008 in Coventry. I worked Tech Data company at warehouse in Lutterworth, done some quality control job and I never had a problem with a proper life quality here at my own country here in Poland. In UK it felt like I am second class citizen just because I am not a native british (or should I say english) and this was the main reason I didn't not extend my contract with Tech Data. So I could say horrors about UK but I won't. Every country have ups and downs.
    Apologies I was trying to use her opinion as an example not to actually slate Poland.
    I have never lived in Poland only visited, but when I refer to quality of life there, what I mean is how difficult it is in Poland compared to the UK. For example: My wife is a secretary here in the UK. She earns more here in a week than her cousin (who is a fully qualified doctor) earns in a month in Poland. Poland is by no means bad, it is just easier to make a good living in the UK than there, even on benefits (if you know how to work the system).

Unfortunately there are a lot of english who treat people from other countries like scum, I get that from them too as I'm Irish. But the vast majority of them are good people, so I wouldn't cast them in the same light as the small minority of scumbags & racists.

I find it ironic that it is normally those scumbags that treat foreigner like crap... are actually the ones mostly likely to be living on welfare and not contributing to the country. They cry about foreigners taking their jobs even though they have never had any intention of working. Easy excuse for them to be useless scum. Which is why I said earlier that i think anyone who voted out because of immigration is an idiot anyway. I just hope that its a very small minority who actually voted leave for those reasons.
    Last edited by Whiskeyjack WN; 2016-06-28 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fair enough. I guess I didn't/don't really understand the definition of cultural desert then. For me a lot of it has to do with music and art; of which Wales hardly lacks talent, even if they end up moving to London for work

Wasn't Liverpool voted European centre of Culture recently? Can't be so bad if that is the case; or is this an utterly subjective issue?
    Don't you get it though? Britain has no culture because we're not continental Europe!

Ironically no, it's just an Anti-British Europe trying to do everything in it's bureaucratic power to drag down strong countries for the sake of the weak ones.
    I sincerely hope you are trolling.

Well that's a bit odd. Where I am from we vote for individual MEP, selected by each party that's part of the current parliament.
    Isn't that what Advanta is saying. YOU don't vote for an MEP you vote for the party who already decided who would be their "MEP rep" (kinda thing)

Joe Smith 'your neighbour' can't be voted in as your MEP without affiliation to the parliamentiary parties. Or can he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

It is still "undemocratic" to have non-elected officials veto elected ones, no?
    The difference is in the UK it is the elected officials who propose our laws and debate them in an open parliament. In the EU the laws are made by the unelected officials in secret.