Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reference card has serious problems like thermal throttling or terrible OC potential. Don't waste your money on this, wait for custom cards. Imho, RX 480 is going to be much better when there is better driver support and DX12 is widespread. Custom cards are going to help it as well. So, I think I will wait for a sapphire card now.

Thats funny you bring that up, of the 4 reviews ive watched none touched on temps. Anyone got a review that has gaming load temps? Wont influenence my decision either way, am just curious how well it does with a TDP that low (if it loads over 80c the cooler is a MASSIVE failure).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Thats funny you bring that up, of the 4 reviews ive watched none touched on temps. Anyone got a review that has gaming load temps? Wont influenence my decision either way, am just curious how well it does with a TDP that low (if it loads over 80c the cooler is a MASSIVE failure).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/...-480-preview/6

Right at the 80c mark under full load, same as the 1070, though noisier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reference cards are shit, that's surprising... never seen this ever!

Custom cards will be better, but overall - big disappointment - it's like they did not move an inch for several years now - keep getting 290X performance in different shapes forms and names, back when I bought 290X I expected it to last a while, but not THIS while.

I am not even sure whether Vega will even deliver what it is hoped to do by just seeing this absolutely massive Polaris failure, heck Nvidia probably has 1080Ti in the barrel too in case something actually happens, especially seeing that 1080 is literally a "high-mid range" in disguise.

One thing I do not understand is how Nvidia is pushing 2Ghz clocks with this die shrink and AMD barely got anything there... what's the deal with that.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-06-29 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/...-480-preview/6

Right at the 80c mark under full load, same as the 1070, though noisier.
    Man what a terd....and that 80c is only possible because it ramped the fans up to exceed 50 decibels. 480 keeps getting worse and worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Reference cards are shit, that's surprising... never seen this ever!

Custom cards will be better, but overall - big disappointment - it's like they did not move an inch for several years now - keep getting 290X performance in different shapes forms and names, back when I bought 290X I expected it to last a while, but not THIS while.

I am not even sure whether Vega will even deliver what it is hoped to do by just seeing this absolutely massive Polaris failure, heck Nvidia probably has 1080Ti in the barrel too in case something actually happens.

One thing I do not understand is how Nvidia is pushing 2Ghz clocks with this die shrink and AMD barely got anything there... what's the deal with that.
    Thing is these are REALLY low TDP graphics chips, there is no reason they couldnt have put beefier heatsink under the card to make the thing max out in the low to mid 70's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this is all good news for my bank balance, not so much for my gaming experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is these are REALLY low TDP graphics chips, there is no reason they couldnt have put beefier heatsink under the card to make the thing max out in the low to mid 70's.
    But it has the same TDP as 1070? 1070 literally demolishes 480...

Just think about the TDP 1060 will have, probably 110-130w AND more performance most likely. Polaris is literally a failure there, it does not even deliver efficiency as compared to green team, not even in the same league

Just think about the TDP 1060 will have, probably 110-130w AND more performance most likely. Polaris is literally a failure there, it does not even deliver efficiency as compared to green team, not even in the same league
    Wow i didnt even realize that LOL. I honestly thought 1070 was in the range of 180w tdp. Makes no sense, it just shows how far ahead nvidia really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    But these are $200 graphic cards, that perform like a 290x. How much did you spend on the 290X? If you're looking to buy a $200 graphics card, you get the RX 480.

Except that Nvidia isn't really hitting 2Ghz. Even still, Nvidia is using 16nm FinFET which is probably more mature than the 14nm FinFET AMD is using. More than likely AMD is using the RX 480 as a way to mature the manufacturing of the 14nm process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    But these are $200 graphic cards, that perform like a 290x. How much did you spend on the 290X? If you're looking to buy a $200 graphics card, you get the RX 480.

Except that Nvidia isn't really hitting 2Ghz. Even still, Nvidia is using 16nm FinFET which is probably more mature than the 14nm FinFET AMD is using. More than likely AMD is using the RX 480 as a way to mature the manufacturing of the 14nm process.
    Eh ya they are, easily. I watch a stream called seriousgaming on twitch, he bought a 1080 strix and it boosts to ~1980 out of the box hasnt even tried manually overclocking it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Artorious your problem is you have an issue differentiating reality from fantasy. Yes of course nvidia holds back cards, amd does as well but you keep harping on this shit like it matters, WE CANT BUY IT SO IT DONT MATTER WHAT DIE SIZE IT IS.
    It's not my fault if you don't have enough knowledge to understand what I intended to say in that post. If you expected a 232mm² 14nm FF GPU to compete or even get close to a 314 mm² 16nm FF one that has a higher fmax then you're simply delusional.

The RX 480 is an entry card, it's mid-end at its heart and it was always meant to target a good perf/price while maintaining the low price. Some were expecting it to be at Fury levels of performance and this was indeed possible if the clocks were higher, but they aren't. Even then, being able to be at 970 DX11 performance for 200 USD is a great deal at the US, doesn't mean it'll be at other markets depending on its price. Keep in mind that this card is a GCN card and it'll gradually get better through time, specially with DX12 titles.

And reference cards are always worse, I'm sure an AIB will appear with a OC'd card that actually reached higher clocks. Since OC scaling seems to be ridiculously great judging by how much more performance people are getting out of those ridiculously shit OCs.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-06-29 at 04:14 PM.

The same could be said of the 1070 though, as under full load it operates at the same temps. It's a reference cooler though, that's the point. It's not supposed to be a beefier heatsink. If they put a beefier heatsink on it, they would basically be screwing over the third party manufacturer's, not giving them as much room to work. Making coolers is not the GOU makers strong point anyway. They make a cooler that works well enough and leave it up the the third parties to do better so they can make money as well. Otherwise, what would be the incentive for them to make better coolers and sell them?

- - - Updated - - -

remember, this is a cut down version of Polaris 10, as evident by the number of cores, now that nvidia has announced the 1060, AMD will announce the 480X, which will likely be the full Polaris 10 and compete nicely with it. It all really depends on what the prices of the 1060 look like though.

What massive hype, what a massive joke.

The second I saw AMD trying to trick the public with their presentations about the RX 480's power, I knew I had to get the 1070. The RX 480 is comparable to the GTX 970 but only $20 bucks cheaper. If you're upgrading from to GTX 700 series or the R9 200 series I would buy the new AMD, otherwise I would save up for the 1070, hell even the 1060 when released will probably walk all over the RX 480.

When AMD was going to great lengths to hide just what their new card could do, the writing on the wall should have easily been spotted, this card is mediocre. Get a 1070 or 390x.

That is what you arent understanding artorius lol. YES WE GET IT BRO, CARDS ARENT APPLE TO APPLE COMPARISONS. As consumers we dont get that luxury, we get cards at price points and we deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    remember, this is a cut down version of Polaris 10, as evident by the number of cores, now that nvidia has announced the 1060, AMD will announce the 480X, which will likely be the full Polaris 10 and compete nicely with it. It all really depends on what the prices of the 1060 look like though.
    It's not cut down. The 470 will be a cut down P10. I assume we will see AIB versions around the launch of the 1060.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh ya they are, easily. I watch a stream called seriousgaming on twitch, he bought a 1080 strix and it boosts to ~1980 out of the box hasnt even tried manually overclocking it yet.
    I've heard different reports. Sure it can, but after 15 minutes of running it will throttle down to 1600 Mhz. You can maintain 2Ghz if you ran the fan at Max speed or like 80%. Even then, there's some reports of it bricking their cards, though that has yet to be confirmed. Not sure about partner cards though, but I know that's how the FE's work.

And you still have to contend with Silicon Lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post

The second I saw AMD trying to trick the public with their presentations about the RX 480's power, I knew I had to get the 1070. The RX 480 is comparable to the GTX 970 but only $20 bucks cheaper. If you're upgrading from to GTX 700 series or the R9 200 series I would buy the new AMD, otherwise I would save up for the 1070, hell even the 1060 when released will probably walk all over the RX 480.

When AMD was going to great lengths to hide just what their new card could do, the writing on the wall should have easily been spotted, this card is mediocre. Get a 1070 or 390x.
    You might want to show where they "tricked the public", because it performs as expected.

The RX 480 is comparable to the GTX 970 but only $20 bucks cheaper.
    If you are comparing it to the 970 compare the 4GB version which is cheaper (30$?) and still has more memory.

Lets be clear its not an ENTIRE flop, but it is sooooo underwhelming when you take everything into consideration. If you can find a 480 for 199 and need a GPU today you buy it. But if you can wait a month i can almost guarantee we will see a faster card with less power consumption in the gtx 1060 for comparable pricing.

The card is meant to be mediocre, it's a budget card. A 1070 is nearly twice the cost and the cheapest 390x are still about 50% more than the 480 for only about 15% more performance, and no longer being produced so once the supply is gone that's it. The 480 really is a great card in it's price bracket. If you have the budget for it, yeah, a 1070 is a better option, but in it's price range, there is nothing better until the 1060 comes out, and then AMD will likely relase the full Polaris 10 GPU as the 480X.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    It's not cut down. The 470 will be a cut down P10. I assume we will see AIB versions around the launch of the 1060.
    2304 Stream Processors makes it seem like it is cut down.