Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can't stop saying 'uhh' between thoughts! Halp!!

So uhh... I'm aware I've had a habit of uhh, saying 'uhh' in between thoughts during conversations.
    It's uhh, one of those thing I consider irritating especially using it in every other sentence.
    Anyone had this sort of issue? Other examples being... uh.. "well" "so..." etc

(Obama does come to mind when talking about this)

super hard habit to break lol, i do it a lot aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Uhh just try to not do it?

"Uhhh", "um" and, co are all filler sounds. You're saying these because you're still thinking whilst you are talking. It's basically a way to tell your audience that you’re not done talking yet and need to gather your thoughts.

There multiple was to stop this.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/0...r-uhs-and-ums/ has some ideas for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    work on replacing "uh" with silence.

you're welcome fam

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Think about what you're going to say before opening your mouth.
    seriously. nobody is gonna judge you for waiting before speaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    First understand why you use it frequently between thoughts. The main reason anyone does that because it's a simple filler word. People don't like it when they have to go silent to think about what they're going to say. By using "Uhh" or "like" it gives a sense of not stuttering. It makes it feel like a fluent thought rather than broken up. My cousins friend has Aspberger's and he'll use "uhh" alot. Especially when he gets drunk, maybe 50% of the words he uses is "Uhh"
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

eh, i guess you don't really need to change it. at least it usually stops people from talking when you're not done talking.

i can't really stop saying like every other sentence. that's the true annoying thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't sweat it. stop thinking about it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I really did this a lot. What worked for me, besides speaking a lot more in front of groups of people, is paying a lot of attentiont to not say 'uh' anymore. After that I didn't have to think about it anymore and said it A LOT less. I still say it on some pretty rare occasions, but I'm already glad that sound doesn't come out of my mouth after every single sentence like it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Uhh just try to not do it?
    Well uhh, it's not as easy as you think. Or uhh, at least for me

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    So uhh... I'm aware I've had a habit of uhh, saying 'uhh' in between thoughts during conversations.
    It's uhh, one of those thing I consider irritating especially using it in every other sentence.
    Anyone had this sort of issue? Other examples being... uh.. "well" "so..." etc

(Obama does come to mind when talking about this)
    I think once you figure out why you're saying "uh", correcting it would be easier. It could be for a number of reasons but the biggest are being self-conscious, not speaking a language fluently, or talking too fast and not having enough time to gather your thoughts. Struggling to find the words or explain your thoughts verbally can also be a reason, so enhancing your vocabulary could help also. Don't feel bad though, many people do it including myself but I tend to pause .

I was always taught that it was bad, especially since I did a lot of public speaking/debating in my school years. I pause now instead and rarely say um or ah.

BUT, it was interesting taking some elementary students to a debating and public speaking course last year. They were told that saying um.. or uh is perfectly fine, especially in debating where you have to think on your feet. They said it was 'active thinking sounds' and there was nothing wrong with it.

Food for thought.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    Well uhh, it's not as easy as you think. Or uhh, at least for me
    You should start with not saying it over text.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the opposite problem: my thoughts always go much faster than my speech, so I often start saying one thing, then, not really completing it, switch to another, and so on... Let's swap!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    You should start with not saying it over text.
    Well uhh... I'd be lying if I uhh, you know, disagreed with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I have the opposite problem: my thoughts always go much faster than my speech, so I often start saying one thing, then, not really completing it, switch to another, and so on... Let's swap!
    I use to speak before you think, rather than think before you speak. Since then, I think that's when the 'uhhs' started. I guess its trying to find that balance. The pace of our conversations would be interesting thats for sure

It does make you sound uncertain.

Also that you're being cautious, people say ummm a lot when they don't want to upset someone or make them mad.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Maybe you're French. They seem to drag the vowels, like keeping the sound constant, when they are being interviewed. When they are thinking about a new sentence for a second, they replace silence with "uhhhhhhhhh". Maybe they are afraid of being interrupted or something.
    Mother pus bucket!