Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hachidori View Post
    Using Wikipedia as a source in itself is a terrible thing.

What native Americans had, if they had anything at all, was an "oral constitution." This is not anything similar to the concrete, written legal language used in real countries. It was essentially an agreement between tribe chieftains that they would only do X, Y, and Z; basically the equivalent of a pinky swear amid a group of friends, reiterated over and over whenever they had reason to meet. It was not, even among the British, considered a system of laws. If the colonies truly thought the natives had a system of government or a legal system they wouldn't have (successfully) traded hats for entire swaths of land without need for any sort of formal documents like deeds.

Look up the "Great Law of Peace" and it will demonstrate how oral constitution meant absolutely nothing because it wasn't on paper.
    You know who else has never had a written constitution? The British.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    You know who else has never had a written constitution? The British.
    Thank you, I was waiting for someone to point this out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    It's almost like people respond negatively to mass migration.
    This is the easy answer, it is also a cop out. Fear of the other is as old as tribalism, it is the bedrock of nationalism, and it has driven the project of the modern state. Misplaced anger isn't suddenly legitimized in the wake of something like this. The truly easy answer would be to say we're all just mostly shitheads that make shithead choices and do shithead things. It sounds more fiery too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finith View Post
    This is the easy answer, it is also a cop out. Fear of the other is as old as tribalism, it is the bedrock of nationalism, and it has driven the project of the modern state. Misplaced anger isn't suddenly legitimized in the wake of something like this. The truly easy answer would be to say we're all just mostly shitheads that make shithead choices and do shithead things. It sounds more fiery too.
    How is that going to get migration policy changed?

It won't. Mass migration is the foundation of human civilization, people that throw up border walls and cower behind them all wither and die eventually.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    They would tell you it just did, the one group of shitheads beat the other. I think their understanding was that they would wake up one day in a few weeks and see nothing but Tom's, Dick's and Harry's.

The problem isn't migration, because migration isn't the source of their misery. It's so easy to blame the other, it's so hard to rein in a system. Fear and hatred are not the same thing, the other does not evoke hatred, they evoke fear. Fear is malleable, it is easily manipulated, and it is even easier to massage and expose. The truly terrifying prospect is the actual weight many of those people who voted to leave suffer under, and how little they understand about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It won't. Mass migration is the foundation of human civilization, people that throw up border walls and cower behind them all wither and die eventually.
    It (mass migration) is literally why we've survived this long as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    What i find ironic is you have a Wonder Woman avatar, but your attitude and words are completely contradictory towards what that character stands and fights for.
    1. Exactly what part about the post you quoted contradicts what Wonder Woman is about?

2. How much are you like Doflamingo?

3. Why is this even relevant enough to post about?

Deleted
    I too always try to show off the 10 credits I got in "Native American Culture" at my local community college, anytime I can. My favourite discussion areas for doing this are Super Mario, Baking Cakes, and Hate Crimes in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post

New figures are in and tell a different story, apparently.
    Amazing everyone had their narratives of race wars, bigotry, inbreeding, etc... ready at hand before they had the truth.

People are angry and scared. They're angry that they feel that their government put them 2nd and foreigners first for a long time. They're scared because, they don't want to be Jihaded by the Radical Islamic Terrorists. No one wants to be shot up or blown up that's just a fact of life.

As for Britain specifically you're talking about a country that was the most powerful on earth for about 200 years. Of course they're pissed they're not doing as well as they used to. Immigration does actually reduce the amount of jobs per person and the wages per person on multiple levels mostly on the lower ones but, still it's a real effect. Only time is going to tell if it's going to change the quality of life in Britain for better or worse. I think the EU as a whole should be very concerned if things look the same or improve in Britain. Because it might just die if things look better in Britain over the next several years; which is a distinct possibility. As for the definition of looking better higher wages, less terrorism, less domestic unrest over quality of life are all factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Amazing everyone had their narratives of race wars, bigotry, inbreeding, etc... ready at hand before they had the truth.
    What do you mean "before they had the truth" ?

They got their numbers wrong so their previous numbers were the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

Well this is a rich interpretation lol

The remain camp needs to own up to the fact that they lost, and that while they may feel remaining is the better option, there are merits to both arguments. Accusing the leave side of being all racists/ignorant/xenophobes etc is ironically making those who spout such nonsense no better than the actual racists to put a blanket statement over all immigrants. You lost. It was a close vote, but you lost. It's time to move forward not bicker and whine about losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    The remain camp needs to own up to the fact that they lost, and that while they may feel remaining is the better option, there are merits to both arguments. Accusing the leave side of being all racists/ignorant/xenophobes etc is ironically making those who spout such nonsense no better than the actual racists to put a blanket statement over all immigrants. You lost. It was a close vote, but you lost. It's time to move forward not bicker and whine about losing.
    People bicker and whine about losing in video games you think they won't do that IRL? If you bicker and whine over something meaningless are you going to be any better over something in the real world? The answer is no.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Than I am not sure what you are talking about, other than pure xenophobia. The US is a country of immigrants, unless you are a Native American you have no case to stand on.
    Of course you wouldn't. That's exactly why you think anyone who has a legitimate gripe with immigrants is a racist or xenophobist or w/e. I'll share you with a personal experience, one of many, terrible experiences with immigrants.

In CT, as a contractor, it is mandated by law that when you advertise your business you advertise your CT registration number and your insurance. An illegal immigrant took my information from a news paper ad, proceeded to moonlight as a contractor working for me and defrauded nearly 15,000$ from people before any bells were raised. I lost 6 months of working time, my employees lost 6 months of working time, as my registration was suspended by the department of consumer protection, and it took nearly 3 years for the state police to catch this scum bag. Nearly 20 people tried to sue me, and had this been a rare enough occurrence to make the news paper I probably would have lost my business altogether because of the bad publicity. It took nearly 3 years to catch the guy, because he was using fake New Haven city ID cards issued to illegal immigrants. New Haven CT is a sanctuary city.

This is just one of many horrible experiences I have had with immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I have a legitimate reason to be upset and angry, especially given the lax attitude of immigration here in America. I know this may unfathomable to you, but some people actually have legitimate reasons to be pissed that have absolutely fucking dick to do with your shit fucking statement about xenophobia. Sure, some people are racists, no one is arguing that but trying to make a broad generalization that everyone who has a beef with immigration is xenophobic is plain fucking retarded

I don't know, I don't see the world that way. People are people.

But the person who made the post that immigrants are causing issues just by virtue of being immigrants is just xenophobic. What are immigrants doing? Taking your jobs? I addressed that. Causing crime? Punish them. Changning bedrock values? We have the constitution/bill of rights that supersede whatever they want to change. We are a pluralistic society, we all pledge allegiance to the flag, and the ideas this country stands for.

But using ultimate reductio ad absurdum, there are no "immigrants", since we are all related, and came from the same unicellular life on this planet.
    Yeah. Go tell some Haitians and Jamaicans, Mexicans and El Salvadorans, Laotian and Korean people there are no differences between them. Record and post for science.

I don't know, I don't see the world that way. People are people.

But the person who made the post that immigrants are causing issues just by virtue of being immigrants is just xenophobic. What are immigrants doing? Taking your jobs? I addressed that. Causing crime? Punish them. Changning bedrock values? We have the constitution/bill of rights that supersede whatever they want to change. We are a pluralistic society, we all pledge allegiance to the flag, and the ideas this country stands for.

But using ultimate reductio ad absurdum, there are no "immigrants", since we are all related, and came from the same unicellular life on this planet.
    When you dont have enough jobs for your own citizens and your government is taking on more and more people under welfare. When people migrate and dont work but also need government support, or they "take" jobs from those willing to work but work for less. Thats harmful to your country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either some of these folks saw the results as a free pass to openly act like bigots or the media is pulling a stunt to publicly paint the leave side as such.

You know this is a terrible fallacy more akin to satire...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

uhh ... that is an interesting stance to take

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    uhh ... that is an interesting stance to take
    It's the same one science takes. How can you know a fact is incorrect until it is corrected?