Page 62 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The 470 is a 480 but cut down. That's another graphics card to keep your eye on for BIOS hacking into a RX 480.
    Implementing hardware locks ain't that hard. Hardware locks aren't easily hackable by your average tech-savvy user.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Implementing hardware locks ain't that hard. Hardware locks aren't easily hackable by your average tech-savvy user.
    Since people flashed their 6950s to 6970s Amd have lasered the traces.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-06-30 at 08:05 PM.

Some reports of RX 480 drawing too much power from PCIe and exceeding the stated TDP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...specification/

Ruh-roh... hopefully solved by drivers/bios updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Raja Koduri
    Great question and I am really glad you asked.
    We have extensive testing internally on our PCIE compliance and RX480 passed our testing. However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-06-30 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone link this: http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-asus-strix-msi-gaming/

Popped up on my phones news feeds earlier, AIBs reckon they could get 1480-1600mhz with their better cooling/power (using 2x 6pins instead of running too much through the mobo)

@Butler Log

What's up?
    Was on my phone, mobile firefox fucked up the post. Fixed now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's easy enough, I'm sure people will do it. Would probably be something stupid like adding or removing a resistor.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-06-30 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If it's easy enough, I'm sure people will do it. Would probably be something stupid like adding or removing a resistor.
    I am not sure about the details of circuit locks, I've heard several in my undergrad times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Some reports of RX 480 drawing too much power from PCIe and exceeding the stated TDP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...specification/

Ruh-roh... hopefully solved by drivers/bios updates.
    Might have heard wrong, but I think aftermarket GPUs from ASUS and MSI are providing more power than a single 6pin. While the PCI-E power issue might be exclusive with the reference cards, kind of bunks on the idea of how power efficient Polaris is.

On another note, not sure what some of these people expect out of a $200 gpu...atm, its the best $200 one can buy for a GPU.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    On another note, not sure what some of these people expect out of a $200 gpu...atm, its the best $200 one can buy for a GPU.
    Cause a budget 232mm2 with 5.7B transistor vs a 314mm2 7.2B transistor is a good comparison it seems.

That being said, it's this that kind of what matters a lot in future games using DX12.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-24.html

I mean, for a performance comparison vs dollar it makes sense to do it, Rem. I get where you're coming from, but a consumer doesn't look at the hardware specs, they just care which performs better.

Admittedly, I think people going "omg it's not better than GTX 970, and it's a 2 year card" need to calm down. There's no other nVidia card in that bracket yet either, and the GTX 970 should be exiting the market shortly. Depending on where nVidia position the GTX 1060 - and if the GTX 1070 is anything to go by it can be basically anywhere - the RX 480 can remain very lucrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I realize that but when people are comparing $450vs200/240 it's a bit ridiculous. That and really what matters should be price performance in your allocated price bracket, not compare vastly across others.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-07-01 at 07:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Admittedly, I think people going "omg it's not better than GTX 970, and it's a 2 year card" need to calm down..
    People who are expecting that a x80 card from AMD should be faster than a previous gen x70 card from Nvidia are just having to high expectations... And that is me putting it mildly...

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Oh I realize that but when people are comparing $450vs200/240 it's a bit ridiculous. That and really what matters should be price performance in your allocated price bracket, not compare vastly across others.
    I mean, with the price inflation of the RX 480 in many locations vs the low price of the GTX 970 nowadays, the two cards are uncomfortably close in many areas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I mean, with the price inflation of the RX 480 in many locations vs the low price of the GTX 970 nowadays, the two cards are uncomfortably close in many areas.
    True, however you get more for your money on the RX 480, I for one will be taking advantage of the HDR and HEVC that the 970 lacks compared to the RX480 and not to mention Nvidias drivers lately have been terrible and I am not comfortable with how they will treat the 900 series gpus once the 1050 and 1060 is released, recent drivers for keplar have not been great for awhile now.

No disagreements there, but I can see to a degree why people are upset. Overall, I'd have hoped for a little more, but this is what we got. It's still a great card, what mostly upsets me is the awful pricing many stores are throwing at customers.

Deleted
    You are very right there, OCUK raised their prices slightly, they already reported in 2 days they sold over 1000 units of these cards, 4 GB and 8GB mixed. Seems like AMD did in fact have stock, just demand actually was high so retailers just jacked the prices up.

It is worth mentioning though that the 970 will be EOL soon if not already, but hopefully prices go back down as its kinda the point of these cards in all honesty, low costish card for great performance. I just hope many of those that bought the RX480 came from lower end systems, this will benefit the PC gaming community as a whole.

Yeah, I said myself that I think the GTX 970 is on the way out, and there's no product from nVidia to replace the card, much less compete at the RX 480 MSRP so far. But yeah, it grinds my gear to no end seeing sites like komplett.no. In Norway, the $230 USD equals 1930 NOK. We have 25% VAT. That puts it at ca 2400 NOK. And then komplett prices it at 2900 NOK for the cheapest of the cards...

We have two subsequent taxes in Turkey; 20% over the buyout price from the vendor when entering the country, 18% over the sell out price when buying as an end user. $200 (or whatever it is the import price) becomes $300 + 18%, so it's around $350. It's terrible...
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-07-01 at 01:02 PM.

It's annoying when people keep telling that "480 for 200$ is great card" when in reality the prices are >300, it's not really great card anymore.