Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Another day, another round of preventable deaths.

The strange part to me is they're already calling this an "accident."

Doesn't sound like an accident to me, and that was sure a quick "investigation."

As someone staunchly opposed to the whole "guns everywhere" concept, let me say without question that yes, this was an accident. The father was a moron, but he didn't intend to shoot his kid.

My opposition to "guns everywhere" isn't that we can't have guns, but rather that we need to consider the fact that "guns everywhere" means letting morons have guns as much as the actually responsible gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm planing to join a shooting club in my university any tips?

I never in my entire life used a gun, but some friends insisted and now I'm in.

Pay attention. That is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Do they?

How do you think they would feel about the 1st when all they had was quill and parchment back then?

Do you think they would support people being able to create flammatory information and spread it to millions instantly?
    Which is why we have restrictions even on the First amendment...like not yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre.
    Yes, the second anyone talks about providing similar restrictions regarding Gun Control...people start screaming about "gungrabbers"

I agree with some of what you say, but not all.

Again, we are at the same impasse. Your reasonable and mine do not match. So do we flip a coin?
    That's where compromise comes in. Finding the middle ground that both sides can live with.

Florida? of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another day, another round of preventable deaths.

The strange part to me is they're already calling this an "accident."

Doesn't sound like an accident to me, and that was sure a quick "investigation."
    Hey guys, lets just go ahead and ban everything that's dangerous. Lets ban football as it's causing too many brain injuries. Lets ban nascar as driving in a circle at 200+ MPH is most certainly dangerous. Lets remove/ban all extreme sports such as skateboarding and snowboarding because the risk of dying is too damn high. You see how that mentality doesn't change anything. It WAS an accident. Was the dad an idiot? You bet, but that's not a good enough reason to ban all guns. If you're really gunna sit on that argument of preventable deaths, then why aren't you advocating for banning automobiles? "Well we need those" and that's a perception, just like the people who believe they need guns.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    That's where compromise comes in. Finding the middle ground that both sides can live with.
    Except that is not how it works.

Basically those fighting to retain gun rights are demonized and more or less bullied into "compromising" - when in fact the compromise means "we give them some portion of what they want and we get nothing in return".

I'd define compromise as:

(Example) Require training and licensing and safe storage minimums, in return you don't come back to the table every time a mass shooting occurs.

That would be a compromise.

"We require training and safe storage for now, we'll be back though next time a mass shooting happens so we can come up with something else," does not strike me as a compromise.

Nothing about gun control has ever been a compromise, its just "give us what we want, until we want more".

Edit:

Heres another one.

(Example) I'll concede training and safe storage requirements if they remove suppressors and SBRs from the NFA registry.

THAT is a compromise.

You get something, I get something.

Edit 2:

Has no one here been paying attention to CA for the past decade? They have been "compromised" to death. lol
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-07-05 at 11:50 PM.

Except that is not how it works.

Basically those fighting to retain gun rights are demonized and more or less bullied into "compromising" - when in fact the compromise means "we give them some portion of what they want and we get nothing in return".

I'd define compromise as:

(Example) Require training and licensing and safe storage minimums, in return you don't come back to the table every time a mass shooting occurs.

That would be a compromise.

"We require training and safe storage for now, we'll be back though next time a mass shooting happens so we can come up with something else," does not strike me as a compromise.

Nothing about gun control has ever been a compromise, its just "give us what we want, until we want more".

Edit:

Heres another one.

(Example) I'll concede training and safe storage requirements if they remove suppressors and SBRs from the NFA registry.

THAT is a compromise.

You get something, I get something.

Edit 2:

Has no one here been paying attention to CA for the past decade? They have been "compromised" to death. lol
    Easy to say "They don't compromise" when it's your side that refuses to even come to the table

Easy to say "They don't compromise" when it's your side that refuses to even come to the table
    Its easy to say we won't come to the table when your side consistently has fucked us over the last 100 years under the guise of "compromise".

Its easy to say we won't come to the table when your side consistently has fucked us over the last 100 years under the guise of "compromise".
    Truly the American Gun Owner is the most oppressed group in American History...mean old government taking away your fully automatic weapons and your armor piercing rounds.

your Victim Complex doesn't solve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    I wonder if the Founding Fathers were able to see the United States as it is now compared to 1791 when the amendment was adopted, if they'd still think the 2nd amendment was necessary. A lot changes in 225 years.
    Given how much more power and more reach the limited government they permitted has obtained, there is little doubt they'd do anything different with the 2nd Amendment instead of maybe underline it and print it in all capital letters.

Truly the American Gun Owner is the most oppressed group in American History...mean old government taking away your fully automatic weapons and your armor piercing rounds.

your Victim Complex doesn't solve anything.
    Where did I ever claim we were the most oppressed?

See, you are doing it again. You start having a normal conversation then you veer off into this territory.

Where did I ever claim we were the most oppressed?

See, you are doing it again. You start having a normal conversation then you veer off into this territory.
    You're the one going on about "100 years of getting fucked over".

10+ Year Old Account
    His answer is more guns for toddlers and less first amendment rights for everyone.

Clearly he has his priorities straight
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This is absolutely a freak accident, but this father should 100% have his gun rights revoked for failing so horribly to operate his gun responsibly. Why would he reach with the gun? Why would his finger be on the trigger? This story doesn't necessarily show a problem with guns, it shows a problem with really stupid people who shouldn't have guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    This is absolutely a freak accident, but this father should 100% have his gun rights revoked for failing so horribly to operate his gun responsibly. Why would he reach with the gun? Why would his finger be on the trigger? This story doesn't necessarily show a problem with guns, it shows a problem with really stupid people who shouldn't have guns.
    Which is why we could use proper screenings and training requirements as well as more stringent background checks with no loopholes and more modifications including high capacity magazines made illegal.

You know, basic, bare-bones protections for people who aren't gun nuts. Seems obvious.

Still having a really hard time believing this was an "accident" as the locals are claiming.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Which is why we could use proper screenings and training requirements as well as more stringent background checks with no loopholes and more modifications including high capacity magazines made illegal.

You know, basic, bare-bones protections for people who aren't gun nuts. Seems obvious.

Still having a really hard time believing this was an "accident" as the locals are claiming.
    Absolutely agree. Guns are fine in the hands of people who are able to think and breathe at the same time. Far too many guns are in the hands of those who can't do that.

Well I may be off a bit, I really started counting at the NFA of 1934, So not quite 100 years yet.

Nuclear missile flyswatter. It was his screw-up, not the fault of any other gunowner exercising their explicitly protected constitutional right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Nuclear missile flyswatter. It was his screw-up, not the fault of any other gunowner exercising their explicitly protected constitutional right.
    How is requiring training and screening a punishment to responsible gun owners? If they are as responsible as you claim, they would be willing to take the few hours it would take to receive training and that would mean that idiots also receive the training. But instead, they bitch and moan about "UNREGULATED!" when requiring training would likely reduce "accidents" and the like which would cause people to not be as interested in restricting gun access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    How is requiring training and screening a punishment to responsible gun owners? If they are as responsible as you claim, they would be willing to take the few hours it would take to receive training and that would mean that idiots also receive the training. But instead, they bitch and moan about "UNREGULATED!" when requiring training would likely reduce "accidents" and the like which would cause people to not be as interested in restricting gun access.
    Some people are of the opinion that once something becomes a law it is automatically a good thing.