Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Yet they choose a BLACK TEEN to take up the mantle of IM, same shit they did to Ultimate Spoderman
    Most superheroes are teens actually. It's a trope of the medium and genre.

What ethnicity, age and gender should a writer create? Should all new characters be white males? What if I wrote a comic where a kid transfers Hulk's powers to himself; who decides what the age, ethnicity and gender of that character?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    I personally don't like this whole diversity for diversity's sake thing going on, but I can't fathom the business decision being made here, which has the potential to alienate your current core demographic. Maybe they have numbers or focus tests or something that shows the demand, but I just don't see it.
    It is entirely possible Riri Williams is just a new character. Who happens to be female and black created by a white male writer.

As I mentioned above in reply; who decides the gender, ethnicity and age of new characters if not the writer? Do writers have to obey rules created by... ?

Whatever, I don't read comic books anyway.
    Hm. So then you are unfamiliar with the nature of continuity based superhero comics? This is pretty common stuff.

The butchering of characters continues. In the century of pandering...

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The butchering of characters continues. In the century of pandering...
    I thought the century of pandering was the last one when the vast majority of superheroes were white males, hence all the cry-bullies coming out to complain about Marvel diversifying their portfolio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    PC gone mad, it's ridiculous. Let's just kick this built up awesome character to the side and introduce a black women to replace the role, yeah no problems with that!

Make new characters and build them up from scratch, stop replacing the iconic heroes and characters from the comics just to attempt to bring in other people.

Inb4 the next Hulk is a disabled Mexican transsexual.
    I'm confused. At what point did comics not replace known and popular heroes with different people who often used the same name as the previous hero while the original "dies", or retires, or goes away for a while? This has always been such a integral part of comic storylines that your complaint about it happening for the 1000000000th time in comic history is absurd to me. You know people other than Tony Stark have been Iron Man before this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    P.S. His name is actually James Howlett :P
    Almost everyone called him Logan. It would be like if we only referred to Thrall as Go'el.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Other than Spider-man, X-men/factor/new mutants/x-force, and sidekicks I don't think this is the case. Most heroes appear to be in their mid to late twenties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    They don't want to reboot Iron Man as a woman, Tony Stark still exists alongside Riri.
    i mean if they wanted to do it in the marvel movie universe if RDJ becomes too expensive.
    Hi

Based on what I just read, the character is working on a new name. Will probably be something like Iron Justice (my guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

What ethnicity, age and gender should a writer create? Should all new characters be white males? What if I wrote a comic where a kid transfers Hulk's powers to himself; who decides what the age, ethnicity and gender of that character?

It is entirely possible Riri Williams is just a new character. Who happens to be female and black created by a white male writer.

As I mentioned above in reply; who decides the gender, ethnicity and age of new characters if not the writer? Do writers have to obey rules created by... ?

Hm. So then you are unfamiliar with the nature of continuity based superhero comics? This is pretty common stuff.
    the problem is taking a EXISTING CHARACTER and making them something they never were.

make a new hero as a black female teenage who has a robot suit and call it IRON WOMAN for all i care......... but don't call it iron man and being the replacement for tony stark.

same thing with Thor and the hammer

plenty of asguard people they pick who are female/male/white/black to make a story on that IS NOT FUCKING THOR BEING TURNED INTO A WOMAN WITH HIS NAME.

they could make a new hero with a new weapon *but oh my gawd money*

i would think minorities would be more upset that they are looked at not worthy of their own heroes so they need to be carried up with the names of former white males/heroes!
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-07-07 at 04:13 PM.

Yawn, wake me up when we get a interesting new IP.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    the problem is taking a EXISTING CHARACTER and making them something they never were.

make a new hero as a black female teenage who has a robot suit and call it IRON WOMAN for all i care......... but don't call it iron man and being the replacement for tony stark.

same thing with Thor and the hammer

plenty of asguard people they pick who are female/male/white/black to make a story on that IS NOT FUCKING THOR BEING TURNED INTO A WOMAN WITH HIS NAME.

they could make a new hero with a new weapon *but oh my gawd money*

i would think minorities would be more upset that they are looked at not worthy of their own heroes so they need to be carried up with the names of former white males/heroes!
    it is a new hero they didn't make tony stark a black female and they probably wont even use the name iron man they didn't take any white heroes name hell iron man isn't even a title only tony has used.

How would she be Iron Man? Making her own suit would make her a new character, not a "newer Iron Man". With her, the Human Torch, Green Lantern being black, where's the diversity? Can't wait for dwarf-sized Asian pre-op transgender bisexual Wonder Woman.

So, let me get this straight:

1) When a character is rebooted and retconned into a different race/gender/whatever (black Human Torch comes to mind), people scream, "Why don't you make a new character?" But when literally a new character comes along who happens to don the mantle of a now-retired, still-existing super, that's not a new character? Because she has the same name? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she not yet "the" Iron Man? Tony hasn't retired yet, right? Isn't it possible the title of the comic will say "Iron Man" but she'll have another handle, like X-23 was under the imprint of "Wolverine" comics?

2) Because comics were all about white people, predominantly men, for 70 years, in a society which was, frankly, racist and didn't even allow black people to vote when some of these characters were originally made, adding ethnically diverse, gender diverse characters is "pandering" ipso facto? Could it just be that the pantheon of supers is catching up to the actual, real diversity of our modern society? The counter argument of "well, black women aren't ever going to read this, hurrr durr!" kind of belies a racial viewpoint that comics (which are traditionally about being outcasts) wouldn't resonate with minorities.

3) There's a Muslim Ms. Marvel. A female Thor. A She-Hulk. A black IM, a half-black, half-Hispanic SM. Some of these have been hits, some of them have been misses. A character should be judged based on the quality of its writing. Making a character a black female doesn't immediately make it "lazy, shit writing."

Keep in mind, I just logged on to see this new, 15 page thread. This isn't GenOT, and the culture of GenOT isn't the culture of this subforum. Discuss the art, the narrative, what appears on the pages, what it might mean for the continuity - any political discourse will not be allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Currently Marvel has two characters named Spider-Man (Peter Parker and Mile Morales) and 2 characters named Captain America (Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson) all of whom exist in the same universe.
    How does that work? How are they different?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Half Asian half African Transgender Spiderman/women
    She'd be big and beautiful too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    How does that work? How are they different?

- - - Updated - - -

She'd be big and beautiful too.
    one is peter parker one is miles morales miles had different powers then pete he can clock him self and has a venom blast they both go under the name spider man.

It doesn't matter, no one reads comics and the movies are way better.

When the movies stop making money the VR simulations will take over.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    one is peter parker one is miles morales miles had different powers then pete he can clock him self and has a venom blast they both go under the name spider man.
    What about Captain America?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What about Captain America?
    ones sam willson the old falcon he has a falcon suit and bird powers the others steve rogers i think hes still doing what he was doing before.

I don't know why anyone would ever use Captain America as an example of someone who should not be changed considering the persona was used by 4 different men.

Steve Rogers - of course
    John Walker - after the government stripped Steve of the identity
    Bucky Barnes - After Steve died in Civil War
    Sam Wilson - after Steve was turned into an old man

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    The world is changing and comic books have to change along with it if they want to appeal to a new reader base, that said as long as the story is great I don't see why anyone would mind something new.
    They are catering to a demographic which was never loyal to their brand and never will be.
    A recipe for declining sales.