Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is just more nostalgic bullshit separated from reality. The gaming industry is larger than ever, resulting in more bad games, but also more great ones. The 90s were not some grand time period with perfect games. They were limited by technology, understandably, and could never be as deep as modern games.

You happen to be a person who enjoys simplicity, and that's fine. But what you desire is something unlikely to attract attention for large investments. Instead maybe you should try more mobile apps.

edit: I'm making a few assumptions here, but they seem fair based on your statements. Have you even played Witcher 3? And you still think games from this era aren't fun? I guess I just don't understand what you fundamentally would like to see changed. There are plenty of games without massive grinds (virtually all single-player RPGs lack grinding).

Uhh... are you talking to me? I don't download mobile games, they're all simplistic garbage with pavlovian reward cycles. And the problem to me is, the companies I used to love are now all either making braindead garbage for the MOBA keyboard-turning-clicker crowd, or bought up and had their studios and IPs ran into the ground by EA/Activision/etc. Latest and greatest example of this is 10M people eating up Overwatch as the greatest thing since sliced bread, when its gameplay is incredibly simplistic and watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Uhh... are you talking to me? I don't download mobile games, they're all simplistic garbage with pavlovian reward cycles. And the problem to me is, the companies I used to love are now all either making braindead garbage for the MOBA keyboard-turning-clicker crowd, or bought up and had their studios and IPs ran into the ground by EA/Activision/etc. Latest and greatest example of this is 10M people eating up Overwatch as the greatest thing since sliced bread, when its gameplay is incredibly simplistic and watered down.
    Yes the only games being made today are mobas and all the good studios got bought and ruined by EA and Activision. I hope you don't expect people to take you serious when this entire post is the definition of extreme hyperbole.

If you can't find games you enjoy in today's market you're extremely jaded and not trying.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-07 at 06:50 AM.

hmm grinding was always a thing, I've found more enjoyment with newer games than older ones, old games tended to follow the 3 lives linear style. while games with persistent progress have a more long term appreciation.

grinding always existed it was just called replayabilty or progression. diablo 2 for example was nearly 100% grind. but it was fun.

I find I grow less and less interested in pick up and play type games where there is no progress you just play for a bit then come back to it but very little is persistent or permanent so it feels more like time wasted.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-07-07 at 06:56 AM.

I forgot that people always jump to extremes instead of the reasonable in construing arguments. Clearly I wasn't talking about the general state of the industry and how its trending towards MOBAs/mobile fluff games and instead meant that it was 100% across the board that way. But even in the bright gems that exist, they lean heavily towards small/indie studios or private studios like Studio Projekt Red with their Witcher series. The sad fact is you have to look towards the fringe these days.

There are plenty of games without massive grinds (virtually all single-player RPGs lack grinding).
    Virtually all single-player RPGS lack grinding? Eh. I feel like there's plenty of single player RPGs with grinding. Darkest Dungeon for instance, I picked up recently via steam sale as it was described as being "XCOM-like" since I've been going on a big perma-death turn-based tactics RPG binge and the game seems like grinding incarnate. In fact, I'd say most indie games that aren't rogue-like/rogue-lite or "experience" games have a good amount of grinding in them to pad out the length. I don't really know what the hell the deal is, because this crap makes these games unreplayable and ultimately fade into obscurity as I have no desire to replay them (MGSV being in the same type of boat, where the grind kills any desire to replay any aspect of the game but the Prologue). Is it worth saying that the game takes 200 hours (or whatever, I haven't finished the game) to complete if that means you will never play it again after finishing it? I dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate how Social Media has been a huge thing with video games. "Hey like us on facebook and we'll give you some useless crap".

I miss back when video games was it's own little world.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    I hate how Social Media has been a huge thing with video games. "Hey like us on facebook and we'll give you some useless crap".

I miss back when video games was it's own little world.
    Not just social media but all the promotional bonus crap. ME2/3 with their Doritos promotions and pre-order bonuses being notable from my perspective. I actually pre-ordered ME3 but accidentally shredded the receipt before inputting the code and was never able to get the Defender Armor. When ME3 only has like 6-7 sets of armor and you lose access to one of them because it was a pre-order bonus, that really really stings.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is in the same boat right now where all of the known alternate skins for Adam Jensen are pre-order bonuses; I have really mixed feelings about pre-ordering, since the stuff is definitely cool but I'd be supporting a reward system I dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    This is only my personal thoughts, my apologies for that.

Back in past, well it was 1996 when i get my first console but nvm. Games are kinda fun, yeah they look now ugly, i mean mainly here NES games but point is, they gived us more fun than games today? I don't mean here also nostalgia, but also fact, that today most of online games, are maked only to milk money from players, which is not cool. But when it was started?

2004/2005 with WoW release, yep i blame Blizzard for that with paid subscription to WoW. Most of devs i heard in past, tried beat WoW, and allways failed. Well maybe exception is Guild Wars, which if i good heard, GW1 is still popular?

I wonder and asking... Did people really forget for what games are created for? Satoru Iwata quote.

Now all i see in games, is grinding in MMOS, or dissapointing in SP matter games. Where is all fun in that?

Should i start consider myself, to be an gamer caveman? Because i don't like VR or Oculus so?
    There are plenty of games that are great fun, you just need to spend more time digging through the bollocks to find them

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    People like you, who spend 5 minutes looking at this generation of games and say they hate them, are the same people who bitch endlessly about "this generations music".

If you honestly think that this generations games are defined by the moba market and CoD, then you clearly have only scratched the surface of modern gaming and haven't really looked that hard.

Spend 20 minutes on steam with the indie filter on, or go to another website besides IGN to get news on games. There are amazing games out there that are releasing every day. Fucking look for them you goddamn plebians.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Not just social media but all the promotional bonus crap. ME2/3 with their Doritos promotions and pre-order bonuses being notable from my perspective. I actually pre-ordered ME3 but accidentally shredded the receipt before inputting the code and was never able to get the Defender Armor. When ME3 only has like 6-7 sets of armor and you lose access to one of them because it was a pre-order bonus, that really really stings.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is in the same boat right now where all of the known alternate skins for Adam Jensen are pre-order bonuses; I have really mixed feelings about pre-ordering, since the stuff is definitely cool but I'd be supporting a reward system I dislike.
    It only works because the marketing is successful. Why don't consumers start making it not profitable for companies to do this sort of nonsense? Oh wait, it's because they will do it the fuck anyway, they will buy it anyway and the developers will still make money.

I'll be honest. The only way you're going to change the games industry is by convincing the rest of your peers that what they like is actually horrible. Good luck on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    So Overwatch is popular, but you think its gameplay is stupid and watered down?

Here's an idea, go play Team Fortress 1, the game all these mobas are based around. That's an old game with some badass difficulty in it (sarcasm). Or perhaps just go way back and grab yourself a Half Life 1 or a Quake if you're really into FPS with the simplicity of a brick.

Games that are designed intentionally to be easy to pick up are going to be popular. If you haven't noticed by now, Blizzard has pretty much coined that market (if you haven't been paying attention to literally any of their other games), but I'm sure there's a game tailored exactly to your specific playing needs that you'll play for 3 hours and get bored with.

And people talk about millenials having shitty attitudes.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post

edit: I'm making a few assumptions here, but they seem fair based on your statements. Have you even played Witcher 3? And you still think games from this era aren't fun?
    Witcher 3 is a perfect example of crappy modern games. The most ridiculously hyped up bad game of the decade! Just goes to show that people today have no clue and no competence in evaluating games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Witcher 3 is a perfect example of crappy modern games. The most ridiculously hyped up bad game of the decade! Just goes to show that people today have no clue and no competence in evaluating games.
    So if people have 'no clue' and 'no competence' in evaluating games, do you?
    Have you been telling people how exactly games are to be perceived by them and how you should tell them what's fun or not?
    I mean i get that you don't like the game, that is fine by me. Hate it, don't play it, call it shit in public, i still dont care. But just saying that people today have no clue or competence, just shows what a delusional self-centred superiority complex world you are in.

Sorry if that was too rude, but your comment infuriated me.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedacent View Post
    So if people have 'no clue' and 'no competence' in evaluating games, do you?
    Have you been telling people how exactly games are to be perceived by them and how you should tell them what's fun or not?
    I mean i get that you don't like the game, that is fine by me. Hate it, don't play it, call it shit in public, i still dont care. But just saying that people today have no clue or competence, just shows what a delusional self-centred superiority complex world you are in.

Sorry if that was too rude, but your comment infuriated me.
    Yeah that's too bad I guess. But I can only repeat what I said: the fact that such a frivolously flawed and stunningly mediocre game like Witcher 3 can be hyped up into the absolute gaming olymp just shows the lack of competence of judgement of the contemporary audience. That game is nowhere near "instant classic" material and it's quite stunning how it's made out to be just that by many.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked today all F2P pages on steam and what happend?

Only OMD:U and Wildstar got my attention, nothing more. But nvm, i am done reading this topic. Been in minority sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    I looked today all F2P pages on steam and what happend?

Only OMD:U and Wildstar got my attention, nothing more. But nvm, i am done reading this topic. Been in minority sucks.
    Sucks when people don't join you in your good old days circle jerk.

Me? I'm stoked my hobby grew up with me, and saddened I lack the time needed to experience all I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Sucks when people don't join you in your good old days circle jerk.

Me? I'm stoked my hobby grew up with me, and saddened I lack the time needed to experience all I want to.
    The good ole days.

When games lasted us for months because our parent weren't going to buy us another $80 SNES game for a long ass time.

Yep, the good ole days.

Nostalgia glasses are real and always hilarious in these threads.

I like you, am happy I have new good games to play nearly every month and don't have to resort to playing SMW2 or Earthbound for 6 months straight even though they where good games just out of necessity.

Even more hilarious is I think this thread is probably mostly millennials when they talk about vanilla WoW being their golden years. They truly don't even know what the good ole days are if they only go back that far.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-07 at 07:03 PM.

It's not that OW is easy to get into, its that the skill ceiling is really low to the point it hampers better/more creative play, and the maps are too short with poor netcode and hitboxes. Avg tickrate these days is 66-120, while OW is 20. Cmdrate is similarly low. Head hitbox is a 1 meter bounding box that extends to the shoulders and well above the actual head, etc.

It's designed to average out player skill and make bad players feel good about themselves via overly generous hitboxes and super moves. Forgive me if yes, I take a dim view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's why you get 30-somethings who react positively to 8-bit graphics, for example.
    I think it's more the younger crowd that reacts well to "8-Bit graphics".

The "30 somethings" as you put it actually saw real 8 bit graphics on crt TVs and know it looks nothing like the pixel art that happens when trying to use that same style at modern resolutions. Most of the people I grew up with always laugh at pixel art because it looks like those games do on emulators, not how they actually looked and where meant to look while playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I don't mean pixel art, I mean actual 8-bit stuff. There are whole online communities that are basically just a bunch of 30-something people still playing old NES shit on the original consoles and everything.
    There are also 19 year olds speed running NES games at GDQ. Not sure what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Which is internet. He said before the days of the internet which is impossible.
    You cant play online without the internet existing.
    Google is your friend. Legend of the Red Dragon existed before the internet, and was playable online.