Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    And no one cares because its in the comics.

If a decline in sales happens, they'll change it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

3) There's a Muslim Ms. Marvel. A female Thor. A She-Hulk. A black IM, a half-black, half-Hispanic SM. Some of these have been hits, some of them have been misses. A character should be judged based on the quality of its writing. Making a character a black female doesn't immediately make it "lazy, shit writing."

Now tell me that this is quality writing and not some cringy shit. Would you enjoy reading full comic books of this?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    How does that work? How are they different?
    Two different characters in different costumes using the same Super Hero Name. As to how that doesn't get confusing to the people in the books...I have no idea.

It's not a direction i'm all that happy about... but, at the same time, it would seem like a dick move if Steve Rogers, after he personally requested Sam Wilson to take over as Captain America, turned around and said "Ok...I'm Captain America again...you go back to being The Falcon."

As for Miles, he comes from an alternate universe where he became Spider-Man after that universe's Peter Parker died*. There was even a crossover that had him meet the Main universe's Peter Parker and Peter thanked Miles for continuing the legacy of his counterpart and gave Miles his blessing to continue to be Spider-Man. So, once again, it would seem like kind of a dick move to take that back now that that other universe has sort of merged with the main one.

Neither Steve nor Peter are known for making dick moves.

*of course, Peter wasn't actually dead and returned several months later because nobody stays dead in comics (except uncle Ben).*

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post

Now tell me that this is quality writing and not some cringy shit. Would you enjoy reading full comic books of this?
    It is indeed cringy writing...but if you think that's the first time that's happened in comics...you'd be very mistaken. There's a lot of cringy writing that happens even when the main character is a white straight male.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    *of course, Peter wasn't actually dead and returned several months later because nobody stays dead in comics (except uncle Ben).*
    and Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Good good, hopefully she's a BLM supporter to.
    Let's not give them lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    That's a lot of boxes they checked off at once.

Cynicism aside, I don't exactly think it's a bad thing they're trying to get a broader base into classic comics to ensure they hold the same spot for future generations.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't...haven't they always been political?
    Yes they almost always have been. At least the superhero side of comics has been. But this is typical people do not know their history especially of something they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    and Jor-El
    I'm kinda just riffing off an old cliche in Comics "No one stays dead except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben". Except Bucky and Jason Todd are both alive now...while Uncle Ben remains dead.

I think Marvel needs to continue to introduce these new characters, give them their own mini-series to introduce them, and place them somewhere other than New York. If the books do well, they can become an ongoing series. Put some characters in Detroit. Seattle. Chicago. Dallas. Los Angeles. Miami. Scatter them out and let them have their self-contained stories with rare cross overs from the "traditional" line up of characters.

Miles Morales shouldn't have been put in New York. Let him be Spider-Man in another major city. (Honestly, I always thought that's what they should have done with Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider rather than him becoming Spider-Man after the "Peter is actually the clone" nonsense). Let him discover his own collection of villains to deal with and the occasional old villain crosses paths with them. The idea of a dozen super heroes in one city and not a single super villain goes elsewhere for their plans is a little silly.

I know Stark was moved to California, which makes perfect sense for a tech CEO. Bump a few more characters over to the west coast. There used to be an Avengers West Coast. Do that with new characters. Let them become a new team completely apart from the ties of the old characters.

I'm hoping Riri gets her own unique name and springboards into her own book rather than staying in Iron Man. Though it's also really weird to think Tony is going to encourage a 15 year old to go out and face near death on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Though it's also really weird to think Tony is going to encourage a 15 year old to go out and face near death on a regular basis.
    He probably realized Bruce Wayne has been doing that shit for years(and his proteges don't even wear powered armor!), and decided if one billionaire genius playboy superhero can do it, why can't another?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    He probably realized Bruce Wayne has been doing that shit for years(and his proteges don't even wear powered armor!), and decided if one billionaire genius playboy superhero can do it, why can't another?
    Wrong universe.

Better example would be Spider-Man...who also started at the age of 15 and no amount of "You're too young for this" would have swayed him. Riri is safer if Tony works with her than she would be completely on her own.

They should make John Cena wolverine next.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They should make John Cena wolverine next.

Anything but that

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit comics are still shit? Why exactly did this need a thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Shit comics are still shit? Why exactly did this need a thread?

Because SHIT is the one thing everyone has in common?

I was initially like "why the fuck are they changing everything to minorities and such?" namely because I'm uncomfortable with change in these regards (in the same way I think casting Akira characters as white folk is something uncomfortable).
    Then I realized I forgot I was no longer their target audience. What I liked at that age is different that what people of that age like now.
    I'd like it more of they just started a different comic and migrated those to mainstream but I can also imagine the heartburn they'd get cancelling the old stuff and starting anew so I can see why they'd take this direction.

Sales are sales. Change is change. Change isn't always for the better but without it things will never get better. No sense in fighting change simply because of comfort.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    I was initially like "why the fuck are they changing everything to minorities and such?" namely because I'm uncomfortable with change in these regards (in the same way I think casting Akira characters as white folk is something uncomfortable).
    Then I realized I forgot I was no longer their target audience. What I liked at that age is different that what people of that age like now.
    I'd like it more of they just started a different comic and migrated those to mainstream but I can also imagine the heartburn they'd get cancelling the old stuff and starting anew so I can see why they'd take this direction.

Sales are sales. Change is change. Change isn't always for the better but without it things will never get better. No sense in fighting change simply because of comfort.
    they don't change any thing to minorities they make new heroes that so happen to be minorities and give them the same name for one reason or another

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Wrong universe.

Better example would be Spider-Man...who also started at the age of 15 and no amount of "You're too young for this" would have swayed him. Riri is safer if Tony works with her than she would be completely on her own.
    Spidey got away with it for a good while because he never revealed to anyone his identity. Most other heroes were shocked with how young he was when they finally found out. When you can lift a car, people don't think you're a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Spidey got away with it for a good while because he never revealed to anyone his identity. Most other heroes were shocked with how young he was when they finally found out. When you can lift a car, people don't think you're a kid.
    I think a lot of that would have been willful ignorance more than anything else (very specific example would be when Doc Ock umasked a teenaged Peter Parker and just refused to believe that he could ever have been beaten by a teenaged boy and thus dismissed Peter entirely as a fraud)...and many of them could tell right off the bat that he was just a kid (Professor X for an example...although he'd hardly be in a moral position to tell Spider-Man he was too young when his own students were the same age).

But there are other examples as well...Human Torch, Bucky, Vance Astrovik, Speedball, Nova, Rage, all the original X-Men etc...all just teenagers when they started out. And there are specific examples throughout Marvel History where the More experienced heroes have have taken or regretted not taking these kids under their wing (Prime example of this being the Comic Version of Civil War and The Initiative).
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2016-07-07 at 08:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "Who's this new asshole Barry Allen? I don't know who he is, bring back Jay Garrick!"
    Except they were from different Earths. The same way people didn't complain about Mike Morales becoming the Ultimate Spiderman when Peter died.

Creating a random new character, with no connection to the Iron Man universe and make it replace Tony Stark is not organically at all. Heck, I'm already betting that in the near future Marvel will make Riri Rhodey's niece, just to create a solid background reason.