Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Because they aren't always true.

Making snap judgments about people is easy but it only shows how stupid the person making those judgements is.
    I dunno, reality sometimes makes me thinks that there are exceptions not the rule. Meaning most stereotypes are pretty spot on, but you do have those few that don't fit the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrton2388 View Post
    Since the black skinned people being good at sports thread was just closed... even though the question was really good, im gonna post my answer here.

And btw, stereotypes are true. That's why they're stereotypes.
    I know plenty of black people from the Caribbean and West Africa (children of immigrants) who are particularly bad at sports.

Stereotypes simply are not, and never will be true. It's simple. "Black people like chicken." If there is a single black person that doesn't, the stereotype is false.

People hate the truth, and deny history, and therefor repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Stereotypes simply are not, and never will be true. It's simple. "Black people like chicken." If there is a single black person that doesn't, the stereotype is false.
    I don't think that is how a stereotype works.

A stereotype is not a fact, its just a generalization, meaning not 100%, but common.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I dunno, reality sometimes makes me thinks that there are exceptions not the rule. Meaning most stereotypes are pretty spot on, but you do have those few that don't fit the puzzle.
    The thing is because it's a stereotype people run into the problem of whenever you see that stereotype play out it reinforces them seeing the stereotype as true while when it doesn't happen they just don't pay any attention to it. Take the stereotype that all British people have bad teeth well you see a British person with bad teeth and it just proved the stereotype true. But in 2009 a study was done and it found Great Britain is one of the highest ranked countries for healthy teeth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    People hate the truth, and deny history, and therefor repeat it.

Yup, people tend to flee into delusion when presented with the fact that their generalized preconceived notions about people or groups are false.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    So the argument against stereotypes that are true 95% of the time is that it can hurt the feelings of someone 5% of the time when it does not apply to them?

Wut
    You realize the very definition of a stereotype is a sweeping generalization or cultural misconceptions, right?

I mean do black people eat fried chicken 95% of the time? Do white people fuck horses (yes this is a stereotype in America) 95% of the time? Are those of the Jewish faith greedy 95% of the time?

Deleted
    Some stereotypes are generally true, but not always.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    You realize the very definition of a stereotype is a sweeping generalization or cultural misconceptions, right?

I mean do black people eat fried chicken 95% of the time? Do white people fuck horses (yes this is a stereotype in America) 95% of the time? Are those of the Jewish faith greedy 95% of the time?
    Never heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Some stereotypes are generally true, but not always.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard that one before.
    Yeah, it's one of those strange stereotypes. It comes from the fact that white people overrepresent cases of zoophilia (commonly involving dogs and horses) so therefore a perception by a lot of people is that White Americans tend to fuck animals

Stereotypes are often based in reality, and do hold some degree of accuracy.
    The issue with them is that they are not a 100% representation of every person you meet who fits the type.
    Even if it is the case that a disproportionately high amount of Asians are good at math compared to other demographics, that doesn't mean you can just walk up to any Asian and expect them to be an expert mathematician. Many Asians are not great at math, so you cannot expect a particular individual Asian to be good just because they are Asian. You have to verify that information.
    Even if 95% of Asians are in fact good at math, you cannot guarantee that a particular random Asian individual that you encounter is, so it's unfair to judge them as such.

Not fair to the exceptions to judge them instantly.

Like white people being warmongering retards. And males being murdering rapists. Military personnel were just too stupid to get real jobs. All gun owners are dumb peepers who think the apocalypse is coming.

The above are universally true cus stereotypes.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Because they aren't always true.

Making snap judgments about people is easy but it only shows how stupid the person making those judgements is.
    Stereotypes are true. Some individual in that group may not follow the typical stereotype. Doesn't make it any less true. Stereotypes aren't under the premise that every person being identified in that group to be under that stereotype.

Excuse me! I'm only 10 years older than my hot girlfriend!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    The asian guy good at math.
    The arrogant posh rich guy.
    The foreigner driving a BMW.
    The hot girl with a rich 20 year older boyfriend.

Just some out of a long line of stereotypes. All true, yet somehow people tell us to despise those stereotypes...
    Why? Stereotypes dont just come to be. They exist because they are often true. So why do we hate them?
    Maybe because this example doesn't reflect the experience of all Asians, and so assuming that an Asian is going to be good at math and a foreigner is going to drive an expensive car is illogical?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Like white people being warmongering retards. And males being murdering rapists. Military personnel were just too stupid to get real jobs. All gun owners are dumb peepers who think the apocalypse is coming.

The above are universally true cus stereotypes.
    Well they are all true to an extent, that is why they are called stereotypes.

Well they are all true to an extent, that is why they are called stereotypes.
    They're usually based on a grain of truth or cultural misconceptions.

This is the problem.

Stereotypes are often true, and that's why they exist. It's a natural function of the human brain to associate things into different categories based on certain sensory cues. That's extremely useful in the animal kingdom for survival and such.

However, when it comes to humans, we can be so much more complex, that this system isn't good for categorizing us. I think in general, stereotypes have like a higher chance of being right than wrong, otherwise they wouldn't truly exist, but when a human is categorized or predetermined to be a certain way just because of a superficial characteristic, it can be offensive as it degrades the person as a whole. No one human should be reduced to a simple prominent aesthetic feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrton2388 View Post
    Since the black skinned people being good at sports thread was just closed... even though the question was really good, im gonna post my answer here.

And btw, stereotypes are true. That's why they're stereotypes.
    in today's online and multimedia world there is an argument for stereotypes not being true at all but they became stereotypes simply because that's how news/TV/movies continually portray the same trope.

I mean, there's the "asians are good at math" example in the OP. If you think about it, it's really only "transfer students or wealthy immigrants or native born asians are potentially good at math." I mean if you really think about it, the vast majority of Asian's globally have barely had 4(or less) years of education total.