Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm running wow on max with a Dell 3440x1440.

So far so good on a 970, but I'm replacing for a GTX 1080 a day before Legion launch. It runs fine but I wanna make sure I can compensate for the raiding parts where it drops.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Same. However, something to note - despite getting like 120fps in the world, you will notice a significant dip in raids. Especially 25 man. This could be an issue with my processor, though. It's wee bit outdated.
    It's probably your CPU which is overloaded by the networking events of the boss fight.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    I'd hurry up if I were you, the 970's will be on short supply very soon.
    Haha, between that post and now I went to the store and bought a 1080. I've been thinking about doing 970x2 but if I wanted to do that I'd have to but a new PSU so I just went with a 1080.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikeost View Post
    Haha, between that post and now I went to the store and bought a 1080. I've been thinking about doing 970x2 but if I wanted to do that I'd have to but a new PSU so I just went with a 1080.
    Kudos. A good choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confident if you use a super good CPU you'll be ok.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    1080 for wow only? That is like, using a flamethrower to light a candle.

I play on a Dell U3415W also, 3440x1440. I have a 5820k overclocked to 4.5Ghz, 32GB DDR42666 and GTX980's in SLI.

I am in the beta and everything runs pretty smoothly with everything set to ultra. I get frame dips in Suramar and occasionally in other zones/raids but I think that is because the game is still in beta. :P

What is all this magical SLI setup/tuning/configuration for WoW you guys are talking about? Literally all you have to do is physically install them, connect them with a bridge, and then turn on SLI in the control panel. Presto, SLI works as intended.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

As a quick hint for people suffering from low fps in legion areas - if you set Water Quality from "Ultra" to "Good" (i think its good? one below Ultra), you get immensely improved performance in some areas with a lot of water (Val'sharah suffers from this quite a bit), at the cost of a few reflections of trees and mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post
    I run 980TIs in SLI 2-way..there is absolutely nothing wrong with WoW and SLI if you take the time to actually set it up, and not just plug and play and expect it to work. SLI works fine but too many people have litte to no idea how to properly set it up and then claim it does not work properly.

People should do their own testing research on their machine instead of claiming as a whole something does not work well, because SLI works fine. Take the time to set it up correctly.
    Can you please provide more details on exactly what set up you are talking about?

I've run WoW on SLI boxes for many years now (my latest is dual 980 Tis). In my experience the second GPU does almost nothing to improve performance in WoW. Last I tested on my latest box I get maybe ~5-10 more FPS.

If I have failed to configure SLI properly (I honestly don't know what this means) then I would love to learn more about how you set yours up to yield meaningful incremental performance in WoW.

I don't know if it technically scales well with SLI or not, as I don't have it-- I always go for the fastest single card to avoid problems just like this one. My guess is that your framerate is constrained more by CPU than GPU. WoW just doesn't use that much GPU horsepower, even in raids, once you get past a reasonable minimum level for your resolution.

I haven't done a lot of performance testing in the legion beta yet but it runs extremely smooth for me. I have a 1080, so it had damn well better!

wth guys ? asking if last generation can run WoW ? ^^ i can run it at ultra with a amd hd7700, what next, you will ask us if you 1080 can run minecraft ? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazgrim View Post
    Do I really need a GTX 1080 just for WoW at 3440x1440 on High settings?

I don't really play much else, and the price difference between the two cards could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks!
    since youre worried about price
    you don't need a screen that big..
    get 770 gtx and have 2k resolution
    you can run ultra with 180--300 fps in arena, 90-140 fps in older zones or 40-70 in draenor zones depending on local population or view distance(those calculations from my experience were at ultra or high view distance)

don't get the 900 series they are plagued with as many glitches as the 600 series had such as black screens on overwatch or screen tearing on wow, other games crashing more than other cards

if you got money for a 1070 then get that and overclock it's memory to match that of the 1080

bigger resolusions or more screens require bigger graphic card ram

my 770gtx can run 4k fine because it's the 4gig memory version of that series but i don't have a monitor that big so i never use my card's full potential

if your 1070 has 4gig or more if there is any then it will do fine
    but if it has 2gig built in then it would struggle to maintain frame rates with the size without some virtual memory program like skyrim has enb
    the built in ram is what controls the resolution size and/or multiple monitors if you have any

if there is a 1080 2gig but no 4gig but a 1070 4gig then get it
    or if there is a 1080 4gig but only a 1070 2gig then get the 1080 because that extra memory will help a lot since you're after size and/or multiple screens

i had a similar issue
    there was a 790 gtx card but none of them had 4gig of ram and i wanted the extra ram which the 770 had at the time i got my pc built(there were also 900 series yet multiple sites showed they had roughly 3% less performance)
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-07-09 at 02:30 AM.
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    My GTX 1070 / i5 6600K @ 4.1Ghz can run the game at 1920x1080 with 180% pixel scaling (3440x1440) with everything on ultra (including Geforce ultra high custom AA and max shadows) at between 110 and 150FPS depending on where I am.

You should be fine on High settings with a 1070 unless your GPU is completely potato.

Note that mine is an MSI Gaming X, not the Founder's Club card.
    Think is the Cpu and GPU I have on order, nice to hear how well its doin..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Think is the Cpu and GPU I have on order, nice to hear how well its doin..
    cpu doesn't effect frame rate unless you don't have a graphic card

cpu effects loading times and some(but not a lot) relation to ping if you increase task manager priority you could get 5-20% better ping depending on what it's doing

i5 6000 series has 3% roughly less performance than i7 4940k
    and around 1-2% less than i7 4930k cpu

a similar situation was found when comparing 770/780 with 970/980 gtx nvidia cards the 900 series had a similar small percentage less performance than the 700 series(though obviously the 1070 and 1080 would be better than 700 series since bugs are fixed and performance issues fixed for 1070-1080 when comparing those to the 900 series)

this is from what me and my friend read online

also world of warcraft uses an old game engine with mods to generate the world for the art team
    despite improvements they can't fully make wow utilize multiple cores
    so having 700 series or 1000 series nvidia with AMD which has weaker cores would give the most performance

since even the 3% extra performance of 4940k when compared to 6600 is pointless when wow can't utilise the default hyper threading
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-07-09 at 03:28 AM.

If you're only going to be playing WoW, those graphics cards are overkill. Invest in a better CPU instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    If you're only going to be playing WoW, those graphics cards are overkill. Invest in a better CPU instead.
    wow can't utilize newer cpu multi cores..

faster ram and more ram is all wow needs

back when i had an old 9700 geforce card
    i had bad framerates when cataclysm launched so i upgraded my motherboard ram and got atleast 20 extra frame rates

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    wow can't utilize newer cpu multi cores.
    New CPU's have better single core IPC and can clock better.

Deleted
    Got a gtx 1070@2080mhz and a 6700k at 4.7ghz. Reaching 60+ fps everywhere I tested on the PTR with graphic quality preset 10 and SSAAx4/CSAA. Even in populated areas(orgrimmar near dummies 40+ people at the time) and forested areas like the border of Shadowmoon Valley and Talador which is quite heavy on the gpu.

If your cpu is atleast clocked @4ghz+ a gtx 1070@2ghz+ should handle the rest easily at max settings in Legion.

Edit: my ram is ddr4@3200mhz, not sure if that has much impact on wow.
    Last edited by mmoc748d6be4b6; 2016-07-09 at 10:40 AM. Reason: ram

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazgrim View Post
    Do I really need a GTX 1080 just for WoW at 3440x1440 on High settings?

I don't really play much else, and the price difference between the two cards could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks!
    It's WoW, It'll run on a potato on high graphics, it's that old and unoptimized or upgrades for 2016

Deleted
    Both are overkill.