Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

icy veins and noxxic

Both of these websites have not updated to legion stuff yet.. Is that normal.. And where are the videos boss fights. Are they all on YouTube now or. Where?.. Where just getting so close. Less than a month away. Do we no longer need this sites for legion?

Quote Originally Posted by orca2425 View Post
    Both of these websites have not updated to legion stuff yet.. Is that normal.. And where are the videos boss fights. Are they all on YouTube now or. Where?.. Where just getting so close. Less than a month away. Do we no longer need this sites for legion?
    Noxxic was utter garbage and icy veins often struggled to be better.
    If you want to know how to play check your class forum. If you want to know a boss read the dungeon guide

The 'lack' of info is because people like to wait for changes to stop so they don't have to update their guides every week. We only just got the pre patch date that sort of locks in class stuff. Have a long time to go until they are actually needed and I am sure they will be up by someone before then.

ps, you make it sound like you are useless without these guides. L2P
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Tuning is still going on, so priority lists are not even completely simmed out yet, for that reason.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need those sites to play this game? Those sites are for beginners/noobs. It just give the "basics" to playing your class and killing a boss. Everything else you will either need to figure out yourself, or do a crap ton of research throughout many different websites.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to update stuff when changes are still being made every few days.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are still a lot of people writing guides on each spec / class. I know I've been working on an Enhancement Shaman guide, but with tweaks here and there it is hard to narrow down which is really better for talents and skills. Also pending the talents you choose, it might effect your rotation. Mostly a lot of them seem to be "what's your play style" so it is going to take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyfaria View Post
    You need those sites to play this game? Those sites are for beginners/noobs. It just give the "basics" to playing your class and killing a boss. Everything else you will either need to figure out yourself, or do a crap ton of research throughout many different websites.
    Lul, their hoppy is to look for best specs/tacs. Someone will always find something useful that you don't know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyfaria View Post
    Icy veins brought many a raider to top 10% on damage charts. I wouldnt call that being a noob.

For most classes there is a specific site or forum that is better then icy veins. What icy veins does not do is a boss specific guide. This could be very relevant in Legion where many talents dictates if you are cleave, aoe or single target specced.

Figureing it out yourself is for noobs imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    They'll be updated before the raids come out. But you should remove Noxxic from your memory. Better yet there will probably be better guides here in the class forums.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Speaking of, why did Elitist Jerks die
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Icy veins brought many a raider to top 10% on damage charts. I wouldnt call that being a noob
    Yeah but does top 10 DPS in LFR count?

Jokes aside, the problem I've always had with IV, is that while their guide writers/editors are Mythic Raiders, very rarely do they go into detail about why a choice is good. That's not to say they don't offer a lot of different options, like different stat priorities for different talent combinations/rotations, but they don't give the details that would allow the player to think for themselves.

Just as a simple example, the other day I was talking with a guildie who had just leveled a Shaman alt, and had looked at IV for stat priority. IV suggested a great priority, but great for progression right at the start of 6.2, and not at all relevant this late in the expansion for someone who's just going to be pugging/doing LFR. The problem is that the guide didn't say why that priority was good, why those stats were important, or how they interacted with the spec passives/mechanics.

This is the problem with these sites, they just don't give the players the tools to make their own decisions, they just offer cookie-cutter-esque specs. But hey, if you just want the choices that make you do DPS and not understand why they work then by all means, keep using IV, that's what they're good for. (And I do mean that in the best way possible, not sarcasm)

- - - Updated - - -

And just for further reading for those of you who want to do it, Sunnier, a well known Brewmaster Monk, has some better worded arguments/thoughts than my own, might do a better job getting the point across

http://sunniersartofwar.com/blog/201...cutter-builds/
    http://sunniersartofwar.com/blog/201...irty-audience/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Personal opinion only here: Other sites raised their game considerably, new sites rose that were devoted to a single class, and moderation wasn't quite so draconian elsewhere. EJ was a great place to discuss class theorycrafting. It wasn't a great place to kick back and talk about the game itself, i.e. it was very narrow in focus and not a lot of fun to read. Best-in-class in its day though. I always thought they went overboard to stay pure and in the end that drove people off.

I like Icy Veins and think they are a great addition to the community. Noxxic has never really been a good site for me because often their advice is just wrong or at the very least not the best.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-07-09 at 06:13 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a club for the chosen with extreme moderation, it just drove the people to the more welcoming and forgiving sources of information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid Noxxic all together. I've never been able to tell if it's just a troll site or serious or what, but they always seem to go out of their way to post the exact opposite of what's optimal for each class. Icy Veins is better but tends to be be slow at updating.

Most class forums on this website will have credible guides out by the time the expansion launches. Tuning isn't over, so making a guide now is kind of pointless.

FatBossTV makes boss guides. Just google "how to play [class]" if you're struggling with your class.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss summoningstone it was a great site.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Deleted
    Because guys like Ion got hired by blizzard *scrn*

Have to agree with one of your earlier responses. Both sites are pretty much wrong most of the time. Stick to the threads on here that are posted by known performers and you will do much better.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Personal opinion only here: Other sites raised their game considerably, new sites rose that were devoted to a single class, and moderation wasn't quite so draconian elsewhere. EJ was a great place to discuss class theorycrafting.
    As a math guy this is the reason why i rly liked it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, this reminds me of the old days of "Big Red Kitty"