Thread: Rares in Legion

10+ Year Old Account

Rares in Legion

Query on rares (/elites) in Legion:
    are they on par with rares in WoD or are they tougher to kill, more varied combat mechanics when engaging, interesting fights, etc?
    All of them are soloable i take it?
    They are scattered throughout the leveling zones?
    Obviously with scaling, rares will be relevant much more than WoD, certainly throughout the leveling process.

Just haven't seen much written about the rares.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

From my experience most of them are pretty easily soloable. You might need a bit of help or to use all your cooldowns if you're around ilvl 680 or less.

They're essentially the same as the WoD ones. There's a few interesting and neat rares but yeah, it's very similar to the WoD system.

Most of the time, rares are on-par with WoD rares. They're a bit tougher than normal mobs, but they're soloable.

However, world quests change things a bit. Two types 'WANTED' world quests from the Wardens will have you go kill a specific rare. The first type picks a rare mob in the Broken Isles and gives them a health and damage buff, and sometimes a new ability. They're a bit tougher than an un-buffed rare, but still typically soloable with a bit of gear. The second type has you go after a rare elite mob that is only present when the world quest is active. These are balanced for groups, and have abilities that can be lethal without a tank and healer. Some classes with high defense and decent self-healing or massive burst damage can still solo these, but most will need a group.

Yeah, they're basically just stronger enemies with higher health pools. Some even seem to be used as World Quest bosses.

I've been killed by scaling problems or one freakin' owl in Val'sharah, but by and large it's certainly not mini-game based like Krol the Blade or those like him.

Check their health before you attack. Some of them are considerably higher health pool than others. These are the ones used for world quests and it could possibly be a bug that their health pool stays so high when they aren't flagged for a quest at that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    From my experience most of them are pretty easily soloable. You might need a bit of help or to use all your cooldowns if you're around ilvl 680 or less.

They're essentially the same as the WoD ones. There's a few interesting and neat rares but yeah, it's very similar to the WoD system.
    Thanks.
    A fellow Aussie i see.

So i found a thread on the official forum:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5504665?page=2

Loot bugs.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    Check their health before you attack. Some of them are considerably higher health pool than others. These are the ones used for world quests and it could possibly be a bug that their health pool stays so high when they aren't flagged for a quest at that time.
    As far as I can tell... the scale doesn't change because the rare was chosen for WQ... but if someone else is attacking it... and you attack, it will raise in health and damage because two people are now killing it.

There are groups and raid rares too that often pop up as Wanted: quests. They always start at ~3-5 man and ~20+ health pools.. but they scale as well.. 40 people attacking a raid rare will see it's health jump.

I think for many, it's more prudent to think of them less as special, unique encounters that are out in the world for your murderous amusement, and instead think of them more as the named mob at the end of a small quest chain. You simply get something special for killing them the first time. Many will see their deaths at your hands multiple times over if you do enough world quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    As far as I can tell... the scale doesn't change because the rare was chosen for WQ... but if someone else is attacking it... and you attack, it will raise in health and damage because two people are now killing it.

There are groups and raid rares too that often pop up as Wanted: quests. They always start at ~3-5 man and ~20+ health pools.. but they scale as well.. 40 people attacking a raid rare will see it's health jump.
    I'm referring to attacking one solo that isn't currently tagged as a WQ but has double health of the typical rares. I've encountered this a handful of times & it's always been one of the ones that periodically is tagged as wanted quests. I think it's a bug but haven't seen it enough to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    I'm referring to attacking one solo that isn't currently tagged as a WQ but has double health of the typical rares. I've encountered this a handful of times & it's always been one of the ones that periodically is tagged as wanted quests. I think it's a bug but haven't seen it enough to be sure.
    AH yeah... I know what you mean now.