Poll: Would you like to see the Forum Software updated?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Suggestion: Would you like to see the Forum Software updated?

Forum software has come a long way in the last decade since the MMO-C forum was launched in 2007, if updating it was something ever considered by the Admins of the website I think for the 10th anniversary next year would be a good time to unveil it.

I post on another site that uses the latest version of XenForo and it's quite wonderful, so I'd personally vouch for them, for example everything updates in real time, replies, notifications, etc.

No need to constantly refresh your page, and there are also other options available if XenForo isn't the right fit.

I'm a fan of the like system too, able to acknowledge someone's good post without the need of a reply.

Features of XenForo

XenForo fits right in with the battle of vBulletin vs. XenForo vs. IPB. It’s a top contender and provides many great features for the best community experience possible. Some of the main features include:

Social engagement through earning trophies
    A “like” system
    Email alerts
    Built-in SEO
    Use of semantic HTML and embedded microdata
    Human-Readable URLs
    Simple color editing
    Ability to edit HTML and CSS
    Recent activity stream
    Tons of add-ons
    And More!

Whether you want to write your own add-ons or customize the code of your forum, XenForo allows you to take care of any customization's yourself. While XenForo is a fairly new software, it is quickly gaining in popularity.

Going to add a poll and other members are free to comment if they support this idea.
    Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-07-11 at 10:44 PM.

Not moving to another forum software anytime soon. We have made multiple edits to the vbulletin code that wouldn't be present and are planning on doing even more modifications more this year. Lots of caching that probably doesn't exist in XenForo.

For the most part I am the only one working on MMOC, doesn't make any sense to spend my time moving to different software for little to no gain. If there are specific features you are looking for, feel free to suggest them.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    If there are specific features you are looking for, feel free to suggest them.
    1. We need icons for each subforum. Right now only the class forums have icons.

2. It would be nice if you could straight up ignore someone from a thread like you can add them as a contact if you click their name. Kind of annoying having to go to their whole profile.

3. A list of everyone you ignored where you can write a quick memo about why you ignored the person would be nice to be able to keep track of stuff.

4. You know how if you're typing a post and you highlight some text and you press ctrl+b and it bolds it? And ctrl+i is italics and ctrl+u is underline? They're standard shortcuts. I wanna be able to ctrl+k a URL too. So...add that in.

1. Someone has to design them
    2. Not something you do enough for me to spend time on that feature
    3. Once again, the vast majority of people don't use ignore
    4. Ctrl + L is for links.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not moving to another forum software anytime soon. We have made multiple edits to the vbulletin code that wouldn't be present and are planning on doing even more modifications more this year. Lots of caching that probably doesn't exist in XenForo.

For the most part I am the only one working on MMOC, doesn't make any sense to spend my time moving to different software for little to no gain. If there are specific features you are looking for, feel free to suggest them.
    Ah okay, appreciate you taking the time to clear most of that up, I understand it would be a lot of work for you to do basically single-handily.

I'm not sure all of which features would be an option on MMO-C but I'll post a screen shot of the other forum just to give you a better idea what I'm taking about.

Very visually appealing

Everything updates in real time, latest posts, notifications, etc. Never have to refresh the page

Like System

Mouse over drop down tabs

Icons next to each sub-forum

Ability to feature any thread with any banner of your choosing

Tab that alternates Latest Posts / Hottest Threads

Select Different Themes Day/Night in this example.

I understand most of this may not be possible considering the situation but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

I still like the d2jsp forums. Custom forums, clean, speedy, nice.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    this all just seem to be another Social media integration like Twitter or facebook, which isn't needed.

"If it's not broken don't fix it"

Design refresh is on the list, but it probably won't be a massive overhaul. Performance tweaks and mobile optimization.

Auto updating everything would just put more load on our servers and take significant modification, not an option.

Liking posts is something I can look at, but I don't know that it is very useful.

You can see latest posts here or create your own custom search with only forums you care about.

Icons are something I am not amazing at doing and probably can't justify spending a ton of time on.

Mobile optimization (preferably mobile version, similar to Wowhead if possible with their link highlighting like a tooltip showing up in WoW) would be very much appreciated, I'm sure. The only time I go to Wowhead for news is when I'm on mobile, just because MMO-C is just annoying to browse on. e.g. links in the recent forum posts box on the FP always move the second you tap because something else loads. And it loads for a while considering it tries to load so much for a mobile page. >.<

The only other thing would be an up/downvote system - with the dislikes hidden to stop trolling/grouping up on people, but possibly the ability to bury posts when they go to minus numbers (wherever you see fit) would be great to stop misinformation spreading. People are far more likely to downvote someone than report (especially as it takes you to a whole new page). I'm sure you could set that to auto report to admins when they get X number of downvotes.

On the other hand awarding people for making really good posts would also no doubt encourage people to make more posts that are actually good. Maybe that could be something to go alongside the titles we have for post-count, that also counters posting just to get the number higher.

For me personally, I spend most of my time on the FP constantly refreshing for the Recent Forum Posts section, I very rarely actually go to a specific forum to look for posts. Making a link for that as a page that auto-refreshes or... I dunno, anything that isn't too much work - would be great. Or just something to expand it more than 7 posts, for me, would be awesome.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2016-07-12 at 03:29 AM.

I'd post a lot more on MMOC if there were trophies to be won but software migration is kind of a big deal so I went with the undead option.

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    I'd post a lot more on MMOC if there were trophies to be won but software migration is kind of a big deal so I went with the undead option.
    Personally, that sounds like a stupid idea. Posting on a forum shouldnt be a contest / competition to see who can rack up the highest trophy or post count (and we already have a post counter). Posting on a forum should be because you actually want to contribute to or start a valid discussion. +1ing for the sake of a trophy would do nothing but increase the signal to noise ratio, and we already have enough noise as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Personally, that sounds like a stupid idea. Posting on a forum shouldnt be a contest / competition to see who can rack up the highest trophy or post count (and we already have a post counter). Posting on a forum should be because you actually want to contribute to or start a valid discussion. +1ing for the sake of a trophy would do nothing but increase the signal to noise ratio, and we already have enough noise as it is.
    It's not my fault that people aren't taken seriously on this website unless they have at least 1,000 posts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I agree. I'm pretty oldschool, and I'm baffled at the amount of posts people have that signed up years later. I'd rather have quality over quantity, people have incentive enough as is with the counter and the titles. Still, the majority of my posts are probably shitposts too

As for the like system, if it's implemented at all, I hope there's no dislike button and/or burying of posts. There are a lot of different voices on this forum, I'd hate for some of them to be effectively silenced.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    It's not my fault that people aren't taken seriously on this website unless they have at least 1,000 posts.
    There are many people with above 1k posts who are not taken seriously too.

It will largely depend on where you're posting and what you're posting. Hell, most of the time I don't even know someone's post count, a lot of people scroll the forum with barely a glance to the left to see an avatar to gauge who they're speaking too, there's no time to bother reading everyone's information box.

Deleted
    Icons are something I am not amazing at doing and probably can't justify spending a ton of time on.
    There are a lot of talented artists on these boards, maybe run a comp to design some icons.

Winner gets a small prize (months sub for example) and bragging rights about their icon being used ?

I very much like the forum structure here, actually. Changing it (even if it were for the better) would put off many people. We know this and we are used to it and it works.

I can appreciate what you're saying, though. If the site were made now I'd be right on board with you.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Someone has to design them
    2. Not something you do enough for me to spend time on that feature
    3. Once again, the vast majority of people don't use ignore
    4. Ctrl + L is for links.
    As far as the icons go, there already seem to be a ton of them around, but only in the latest posts feed. When I check the forum structure, only the class forums have icons. Don't you have higher res pictures laying around? They seemed pretty generic as far as I could tell.

As the other guy suggested, having some of the locals design the icons would be good too.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    As far as the icons go, there already seem to be a ton of them around, but only in the latest posts feed. When I check the forum structure, only the class forums have icons. Don't you have higher res pictures laying around? They seemed pretty generic as far as I could tell.

As the other guy suggested, having some of the locals design the icons would be good too.
    Those are all (as far as i can tell) taken from WoW, so the upscaled versions could look like ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Those are all (as far as i can tell) taken from WoW, so the upscaled versions could look like ass.
    If they're straight from WoW that should be a benefit actually, most of the icons are pretty big.

Plenty to choose from too!
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Design refresh is on the list, but it probably won't be a massive overhaul. Performance tweaks and mobile optimization.

Auto updating everything would just put more load on our servers and take significant modification, not an option.

Liking posts is something I can look at, but I don't know that it is very useful.

You can see latest posts here or create your own custom search with only forums you care about.

I always thought some form of reputation might work better than liking a post.

Might just be me though, but it hinders people from just disliking posts for disagreeing, but still allows you to give some form of credit to those who are helpful.