Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

1 Hero per team limit in Competitive play

Source

I welcome this change, kind of. I dunno. What do you all think?
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

I do think there needs to be a cap but I would say the cap should be 2 of the same hero. I had a game in Kings Row we were pushing the payload got it just in front of the objective the other team was able to knock us out and then four of them all switched to Torbjorn and could build turrets faster than we could destroy them there was pretty much constantly one of them in Molten Core form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    I do think there needs to be a cap but I would say the cap should be 2 of the same hero. I had a game in Kings Row we were pushing the payload got it just in front of the objective the other team was able to knock us out and then four of them all switched to Torbjorn and could build turrets faster than we could destroy them there was pretty much constantly one of them in Molten Core form.
    Hero limit should be 1. The problem in the game arises where if you have a Reinhardt defending a Bastion, what synergies better with that? Another Bastion, and another Bastion and another. Just like if you need 2 healers, what is better? Lucio and Zenyatta? or Lucio & Lucio? Lucio and Lucio ofcourse. The amount of amp uptime is insane for tough bruisers in the back and fragile flankers like Genji and Tracer.

It was a needed change seeing how the cancer comp became a thing. (2 Lucios, 2 Winstons, 2 Tracers) It seemed like the easiest solution rather than changing the actually heroes or game mode mechanics.

Blizzard is still probably looking to suit up the game for high level e-sports, and those same high level players are the ones who come up with strats like that to cheese the game.

No more 4+ Tracer bullshit to stall games in overtime.

But yeah, multi Torb or multi Lucio strats were retarded to watch in the tournaments held, much less to play against it when queued solo, and just helps eliminate some other niche cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

I do enjoy them fixing problems we've been talking about since beta began. This first comp season has been rather bad unless you joined every game with a group. Maybe, this will help with the sudden death fiasco. Still won't stop the pain train that is just about any Comp that includes Lucio, Pharah/Bastion/Widow and Mercy toss in a Reinhardt to push em back. Lucio is a king though Think my most played in Comp play.

Glad to see changes are being made, some of them I'm a little surprised it took them this long to figure out, but glad it is happening.

Oh, grab your character ASAP now. Finally get those folks who just wait to choose until the end in the mix a bit quicker. So glad I'll never get a team with two Hanzos again.

Maybe this is for the best. We'll see how it works in Season 2 at any rate. Multi Tracers extending Overtime is annoying as are turrets everywhere. I guess we'll find which mix of heroes is "the best"(for that season)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    So glad I'll never get a team with two Hanzos again.
    You're right, you're so right, though we'll still have those competitive games with both a (bad)Widow and (bad)Hanzo on attack
    Last edited by Drakpower; 2016-07-12 at 05:57 PM.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

I'm glad they're making this change as it moves Overwatch into a position where it is suitable for high-level eSports (my background). A lot of the other top eSports titles have similar limits in place, or at least appear that way, when you look at LoL, Dota, Heroes of the Storm that while a different style of game all have Heroes with abilities rather than something like Call of Duty or Halo.

For general play I'm also in favour of this having played against 6 Genji's and then 6 Winston's all in the same game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet.

Now the last thing you have to do, Blizzard, is to disable switching heroes during the round, and you're golden.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Sweet.

Now the last thing you have to do, Blizzard, is to disable switching heroes during the round, and you're golden.
    The whole point is to switch hero's if they disabled that the game will be broken.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is quite a sad change, and will make it so that i am less pushed to play competitive mode. I just know, that as soon as i get into a game, people are gonna rush to their favorite hero and the slow people will have to take the slack. My favorite heroes are Diva and Torbjørn, so i am lucky, that they are not completly overpowered atm. If any hero gets very strong, people are going to fight over the characters and that is sadly something, which i am not looking forward to :/

All in all, i really hoped they would not do this. I had hoped they would put a limit on 2 or 3, but only 1 character for each team is going to alienate some players, who feel like they are never going to be allowed to play their favorite hero, because people quick pick it first.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Sweet.

What the fuck no.

This is not a moba.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakpower View Post
    Maybe this is for the best. We'll see how it works in Season 2 at any rate. Multi Tracers extending Overtime is annoying as are turrets everywhere. I guess we'll find which mix of heroes is "the best"(for that season)

You're right, you're so right, though we'll still have those competitive games with both a (bad)Widow and (bad)Hanzo on attack
    As a solo que, my rank goes up and down like the pacific, the lower I get I find the worse people are at picking teams and I end up with CoD players, who are super worried about K/D. This usually leads to Widow/Hanzo on attack and KotH and 76s that hang back and long range and rarely get involved. The higher up I get better comps, but not necessarily more FPS skilled people. I hope to at some point break into the 60s/70s and get more rounded groups. Comp and Map control wins games until the upper 40s lower 50s then you start needing a combo of it and kill skill.

For now this in one step in the right direction along with removing sudden death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    This is quite a sad change, and will make it so that i am less pushed to play competitive mode. I just know, that as soon as i get into a game, people are gonna rush to their favorite hero and the slow people will have to take the slack. My favorite heroes are Diva and Torbjørn, so i am lucky, that they are not completly overpowered atm. If any hero gets very strong, people are going to fight over the characters and that is sadly something, which i am not looking forward to :/

All in all, i really hoped they would not do this. I had hoped they would put a limit on 2 or 3, but only 1 character for each team is going to alienate some players, who feel like they are never going to be allowed to play their favorite hero, because people quick pick it first.
    D.Va, Zenyatta buff and Mercy change is online on the PTR today D.Va gonna be able to use her Defense Matrix whenever she wants, but has a resource bar now. Fucking loving it

If you are playing Comp play you should be playing to win as individual award is rather small in Comp play. Getting the victory is the point, so if your just looking to play on your favorite single hero all the time quick play is your spot. Comp play is about adapting to the map and the team. I recommend everyone have an Offense, Defensive, Tank and Support they can play and enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    D.Va, Zenyatta buff and Mercy change is online on the PTR today D.Va gonna be able to use her Defense Matrix whenever she wants, but has a resource bar now. Fucking loving it
    What was the Mercy change I missed that, and was there any Nerf to Lucio? I've been fearing him getting a health nerf as I play him a lot and he is really tough to kill, I slay tanks a lot with him.

Deleted
    Finally blizzard got a brain on a balance issue. It's a rare occurrence.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Yeah have heard about the change, it is going to fun to play with and hopefully make her a bit more beafy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    If you are playing Comp play you should be playing to win as individual award is rather small in Comp play. Getting the victory is the point, so if your just looking to play on your favorite single hero all the time quick play is your spot. Comp play is about adapting to the map and the team. I recommend everyone have an Offense, Defensive, Tank and Support they can play and enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

What was the Mercy change I missed that, and was there any Nerf to Lucio? I've been fearing him getting a health nerf as I play him a lot and he is really tough to kill, I slay tanks a lot with him.
    What you have said still does not remove my problem. I have several characters, which i can play on my highest lvl, but even if i had trained one of each role, they could all be taken and i would, again, be forced to play something, which i did not intend. We all have our favorite heroes to play, but i really dislike the idea, that i would be pushed into completly playing a hero, which i dislike. As the game is designed, i switch character when needed, but i like to always start the game out with 1 of my comfort picks, which might not happend with the new rescritions.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I hate to be the one to say it, but this is one of the reasons I was hoping for the change. If you want to prove your skills, which is the point of competitive, you need to be able to play many if not all heroes in the game. If you just want to have fun you can play normal games on whatever hero you want all the time, and that's fine. For competitive we should all be willing to adapt to the needs of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Unfortunately this seems to be the band-aid fix due to their incompetence on changing how multiple heroes work together.

This also indirectly means Widowmaker is stronger in professional matches due to less stacking (Double winston and such).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I hate to be the one to say it, but this is one of the reasons I was hoping for the change. If you want to prove your skills, which is the point of competitive, you need to be able to play many if not all heroes in the game. If you just want to have fun you can play normal games on whatever hero you want all the time, and that's fine. For competitive we should all be willing to adapt to the needs of the team.
    I understand your standpoint, and i will actually agree with you. If you are to reach a high skill lvl, you will have to be able to play nearly all the heroes, but i am not talking from the view of a coming pro. I am talking from the view of a guy, who just want to touch competative to fight people of my skill lvl, but this change will proberly favor quick play over competative. This will be a small barrier for getting more people into competative, and it will without a doubt create some bad experiences, where people are pushed into playing a whole/half match as a character, which they dislike.

Also, as said before, this has also nothing to do with the switching in-game. I have played all the heroes as some points, becuase my team needed it, and i did it with pleasure. But we all have heroes, which we prefer to play, when obvious counters/needs are not shown in-game. This will make it so, that even though you love playing Reaper, you can spend an entire day playing competative, without having a chance to play that hero. That situation is what i would have loved to avoid, with a ban on 3 or more of the shame characters.