Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I personally don't agree with hate crimes laws period. I kill a person, there should be a penalty for killing said person. But to say the penalty is worse if you kill a certain type of person is just foolishness. A murder is a murder, why should a punishment be based on why? We already have varying degrees of murder charges anyway, 1st degree, 2nd degree, Murder, Manslaughter.

Just like now everything is a form of terrorism. If you want tougher laws than just make tougher laws, don't create new tougher laws and give them a new label and then try to make every act that new label.

So I'm glad that wolf whistling is consider a hate crime, and I absolutely hope they find a way to make every crime into a hate crime. At which point, a crime is a crime and a common set of laws will apply to everyone equally

Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    Should a meathead wolf-whistling to one lady walking past once be considered a perpetrator of hate crime? I don't think so. This may show that he is somewhat obnoxious and low-class (pardon my snobbery), but not really a criminal.

How does it get handle if up to 3 women were walking by? What if he was only whistling at one, and she liked it, but the other 2 were offended. Does he get to say, "I wasn't whistling at them" and get off or does it get charged with 2(or even 3) counts?
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-07-14 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'm a pussy because psychology is a thing which I'm choosing not to ignore? At least i'm not being willfully ignorant.
    People who feel traumatized by words are not people you should listen to or protect in the law, they need to stop taking so much offense

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I assume that wolf-whistling is the same or close to cat-calling.

I literally didn't think it existed for the longest time. Then, after the first time I was with a friend and she got cat-called, I see it everywhere suddenly. So strange. Baader-Meinhof stuff, there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You do not have the right not to hear things though.

If the police arrested you for wolf whistling, the person arrested would be having their rights infringed, not the person who was whistled at.
    Depends if you can make a case for it being harassment. I can understand some women feeling leery or unsettled by it, so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I personally don't agree with hate crimes laws period. I kill a person, there should be a penalty for killing said person. But to say the penalty is worse if you kill a certain type of person is just foolishness. A murder is a murder, why should a punishment be based on why? We already have varying degrees of murder charges anyway, 1st degree, 2nd degree, Murder, Manslaughter.

Just like now everything is a form of terrorism. If you want tougher laws than just make tougher laws, don't create new tougher laws and give them a new label and then try to make every act that new label.

So I'm glad that wolf whistling is consider a hate crime, and I absolutely hope they find a way to make every crime into a hate crime. At which point, a crime is a crime and a common set of laws will apply to everyone equally

How does it get handle if up to 3 women were walking by? What if he was only whistling at one, and she liked it, but the other 2 were offended. Does he get to say, "I wasn't whistling at them" and get off or does it get charged with 2(or even 3) counts?
    As far as I'm concerned, no-one gets charged with anything. The man was only annoying the one woman, the others aren't victims, they're witnesses
    My point was more that I wouldn't consider it a crime in itself. For it to become a crime, the man has to keep bothering the woman despite her showing any sign of disinterest. Once it becomes clear that she's not interested, leave her alone. Somewhat arbitrary, but if she's not interested in the first 5 seconds, she's not interested at all

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ing-hate-crime

You can't help but be pleased that the police are making progress in this field. There needs to be zero tolerance for hate crimes.
    Thinks like this makes me glad I don't live in the UK or EU.

I wonder where the line for 'hate crime" is drawn.

Give it enough times. I bet it would become a hate crime to disagree with liberal ideas eventually

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    ...So unless you know them personally, you should not engage them because such contact might be considered "unwanted". Got it. Plus, why did you capitalize "woman"?
    1) I generally always capitalise Woman / Women & Man / Men, it's just how I type things.

2) Unless you know them personally, yes, it is inappropriate to just wolf-whistle at them. Wolf-Whistling isn't paying a compliment, you're just making it clear; "Hey, you look hot" or "Nice tits" or "Nice ass", and none of those things are acceptable to say to someone you don't know. You can jest and make these comments to a friend if you know how they'll react, but otherwise it's just harassment.

I know some see it as just harmless fun, but that's not the case for some Women out there. How is it acceptable for someone to just comment on your apperance out of no-where? Answer; It's not.

Many will claim that it's bullshit, and these Women just need to grow up. But the same can be said to the Men who do it. Grow up ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Depends if you can make a case for it being harassment. I can understand some women feeling leery or unsettled by it, so.
    It would have to be over a prolonged period of time and with intent to cause harrassment, some people feeling unsettled by something does not make it a crime.

Even the Notts Police are stating that they are going to record things that are not even crimes under hate crimes, their stats are going to be meaningless. This move by the Notts Police is ludicrous, they may as well record crimes against fashion under crime statistics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Thinks like this makes me glad I don't live in the UK or EU.

I wonder where the line for 'hate crime" is drawn.

Give it enough times. I bet it would become a hate crime to disagree with liberal ideas eventually
    You would not be charged for it, it is a retarded new way of recording stats - it would be like if a Police Force recorded animals killed under their murder statistics, the person killing the animal would not be charged with murder, but on the official stats it would show it as a murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    1) I generally always capitalise Woman / Women & Man / Men, it's just how I type things.

2) Unless you know them personally, yes, it is inappropriate to just wolf-whistle at them. Wolf-Whistling isn't paying a compliment, you're just making it clear; "Hey, you look hot" or "Nice tits" or "Nice ass", and none of those things are acceptable to say to someone you don't know. You can jest and make these comments to a friend if you know how they'll react, but otherwise it's just harassment.

I know some see it as just harmless fun, but that's not the case for some Women out there. How is it acceptable for someone to just comment on your apperance out of no-where? Answer; It's not.

Many will claim that it's bullshit, and these Women just need to grow up. But the same can be said to the Men who do it. Grow up ...
    Or maybe people should grow a thicker skin.

Once again, why should we cater to the insecurities of a few? If you find being wolf-whistled at to be offensive, ignore it. If you can't ignore it, then you're the one with the problem.

Also: How is it acceptable for someone to just comment on your appearance out of no-where? Answer; It's not.

Tell me when it becomes unacceptable:

"Oh my gosh! You look really pretty! Have a nice day!"

Notice how you don't walk up to someone and tell them how horrible they look? Why? Because it's being an asshole. If you find being complimented to be "problematic" because you being complimented might not see it as one, that falls on you, not the person giving the compliment.

"Your hair is simply gorgeous! See ya later!"

"That outfit looks really good on you!"

If any of these things offend you, YOU ARE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM.
    Last edited by NicoWolf; 2016-07-14 at 05:34 PM.

While I agree in general that men should probably refrain from the wolf whistling and cat calling. I don't see how it's wrong to tell someone they are attractive unless it's done in a crude way.

"nice tits" is a pretty obvious crude remark. But telling someone they have "pretty eyes" is not a hate crime. Though maybe I should get my wife to cash in on it, because she gets told she has pretty eyes and a pretty smile all the time. Sadly she likes to be told she has pretty eyes even from gross guys, so she's not willing to victim it up. I could be retiring already!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    Or maybe people should grow a thicker skin.

Once again, why should we cater to the insecurities of a few? If you find being wolf-whistled at to be offensive, ignore it. If you can't ignore it, then you're the one with the problem.

Also: How is it acceptable for someone to just comment on your appearance out of no-where? Answer; It's not.

Tell me when it becomes unacceptable:

"Oh my gosh! You look really pretty! Have a nice day!"

Notice how you don't walk up to someone and tell them how horrible they look? Why? Because it's being an asshole. If you find being complimented to be "problematic" because you being complimented might not see it as one, that falls on you, not the person giving the compliment.

"Your hair is simply gorgeous! See ya later!"

"That outfit looks really good on you!"

If any of these things offend you, YOU ARE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM.
    Funny how no-one cares about it, until it's your partner that comes home, and mentions it to you, and how it made them feel uncomfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree in general that men should probably refrain from the wolf whistling and cat calling. I don't see how it's wrong to tell someone they are attractive unless it's done in a crude way.
    But that's exactly what Wolf-Whistling is. I'm not saying you can't compliment someone, of course not, but Wolf-Whistling isn't a compliment, it's literally just; "Oh, from up here I can see down your top and holy shit, you got nice tits" or "You can't see me up here, but nice ass!"

The same people who do the Wolf-Whistling also never do it when someone is with their partner. They only do it when the Women is generally, on their own or with other Women. It's pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I assume that wolf-whistling is the same or close to cat-calling.

I literally didn't think it existed for the longest time. Then, after the first time I was with a friend and she got cat-called, I see it everywhere suddenly. So strange. Baader-Meinhof stuff, there.

I think it was more popular back in the 1950's and earlier.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hate crime? srsly?
    Why not just let police murder anyone who catcalls and repossess all of their belongings and throw their entire family and extended family and all genetic relatives in prison for life for his audacity to cat call.

Things like this make me want to roll back womens rights.

Why would they destroy their hatecrime statistic by counting non crimes.... this has to be satire.

But that's exactly what Wolf-Whistling is. I'm not saying you can't compliment someone, of course not, but Wolf-Whistling isn't a compliment, it's literally just; "Oh, from up here I can see down your top and holy shit, you got nice tits" or "You can't see me up here, but nice ass!"
    I never get wold whistled so I don't know the angst. It does remind me of a young lady who was so-so attractive. She would occasionally boast "I still get whistles when I walk down the street, so I know I still got it"

I think it makes it a bit tough when a percentage of women don't care and a percentage of women find it offensive. Much like opening a door for a woman. Some find it offensive, so comment that they are glad "to see Chivalry isn't dead".

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    "The Nottinghamshire force defines a hate crime as "any incident which may or may not be deemed as a criminal offence...""

So not an actual hate crime then.

The CPS will kick out the cases if they are not a crime, therefore you will not be prosecuted, so what are the Nottinghamshire Police going to actually do beyond making their crime stats meaningless?
    Ah, kinda missed that part before. So it's not only the "hate" part that's missing, in some cases it's also "crime". Leaving nothing of value. Nottinghamshire police sounds rather unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I never get wold whistled so I don't know the angst. It does remind me of a young lady who was so-so attractive. She would occasionally boast "I still get whistles when I walk down the street, so I know I still got it"

I think it makes it a bit tough when a percentage of women don't care and a percentage of women find it offensive. Much like opening a door for a woman. Some find it offensive, so comment that they are glad "to see Chivalry isn't dead".
    Some Women like it, others don't. It's not that hard to understand that concept. Generally speaking though, you're not just complimenting them, you're treating them like something for you to just admire. Maybe I don't get it, maybe I don't understand, never quite understood why some guys have to turn around to check the girl out, there is plenty of good ass out there to look at, there are plenty of hot girls you can look at, without the need to whistle at them.

Again; Some Women would like the confidence boost, while others really hate it and it'll give them anxiety.

And the holding the door, is a very different argument. Holding a door open is just common courtesy, it's nice to do, regardless of Sex. You don't get many Men being Wolf-Whistled at, or many Men Wolf-Whistling other Men. It's nothing like holding a door.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    in other news, not holding the door open for someone is now assault, not liking Chinese food is genocide and parking over the line in a parking lot is vehicular manslaughter
    But also, holding the door open for someone is a hate crime.

GL HF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Ah, kinda missed that part before. So it's not only the "hate" part that's missing, in some cases it's also "crime". Leaving nothing of value. Nottinghamshire police sounds rather unique.
    Nothing has happened in Nottinghamshire since Brian Clough in the late 1970s and before that you have to go back to Robin Hood for them being relevant, perhaps it is just their way of trying to stop people forgetting they exist.