Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garr21 View Post
    Does anyone (streamers i mean) look directly at the cam and shout "drink pepsi ride the wave" or do they just have a coke can just sat there? and they drink from it because unless he/she is saying marketing slogans at you i don't think it counts.
    You are using a specific example, which is not really proof of anything much.

Would you trust someone to be impartial on X if they were being paid by X? Do you really want to see X shown at every available opportunity, even if it breaks the flow of the programming?

Some people have found the balance between sponsorship and their audience, but some have not and it makes for awful viewing, even worse others have stopped caring about anything other than making money.

There are two types of successful people in this world.

Some people see money as a means to an end to see their vision and dreams come true.

Some people see their vision and dream as a means to make money.

For the most part though, this is a pretty grey area, and people frequently change their views as time goes on. So defining what exactly 'selling out' is can vary from person to person.

Really, though, it kind of depends on the context, too. Are they selling their franchise for $, or are they showcasing a few products in their stream? I mean there's pretty big difference here.

If you're a man of science moral relativism makes sense. A moral relativist wouldn't just someone who sold out. "Selling out" would be relative to the individual, there is no morality to a moral relativist.

If you're not a moral relativist, you're a little spiritual, then selling out is wrong.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You are using a specific example, which is not really proof of anything much.

Would you trust someone to be impartial on X if they were being paid by X? Do you really want to see X shown at every available opportunity, even if it breaks the flow of the programming?

Some people have found the balance between sponsorship and their audience, but some have not and it makes for awful viewing, even worse others have stopped caring about anything other than making money.
    So what you are saying that if you see a streamer say "my razor mouse" or some other offhand comment they you are suddenly compelled to buy one? whats free will? If some one is paid to say nice things about a product is bad why are adverts on tv all the time? I don't see McDonalds adverts saying "come to us we have good food that makes you fat" should Adverts be banned because they don't tell you the bad points of the product?
    Last edited by garr21; 2016-07-14 at 09:12 PM.

I hear that combination of words a lot on the internet, it discribes bands,brands,streamers,game devs etc But why is such a bad thing?

I hear people bitch and moan all the time about how say for instance swifty selling out to razor or notch selling out minecraft. Is it not a life goal to get money? I hear bands get acosted for selling out to big record lables saying "its not about the music anymore man" but to me it was never about the music in the first place thats why they charge you for going to see them singing. Even that hippy Kirt Cobain was not above charging you to hear him sing and he supposedly shot himself for his music going "mainstream".

Bact to streamers for example swifty may go on cam with razor shit all over him but he don't force you to buy a Naga everytime his stream goes on.
    If your life goal is to get money, you will have a very lonely, and sad life ahead of you.

I don't work to get money, I work to support myself. And I don't get back my Time. I value my time more than money. Heaps more. Because in the end of the day, Money is just a piece of paper, you can get that back, but not your time you put in.

SO if I have to be a sellout to have my time's worth, then I would do it.
    Last edited by Moon-Man; 2016-07-14 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you are saying that if you see a streamer say "my razor mouse" or some other offhand comment they you are suddenly compelled to buy one? whats free will?
    I never said anything like that.

If some one is paied to say nice things about a product is bad why are adverts on tv all the time? I don't see McDonalds adverts saying "come to us we have good food that makes you fat" should Adverts be banned because they don't tell you the bad points of the product?
    Who wants to watch adverts? Very few people, so they need to be as unobtrusive as possible or people will complain. And, in respect of impartiality, nobody wants to watch infomercials apart from weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    If your life goal is to get money, you will have a very lonely, and sad life ahead of you.

I don't work to get money, I work to support myself. And I don't get back my Time. I value my time more than money. Heaps more. Because in the end of the day, Money is just a piece of paper, you can get that back, but not your time you put in.
    With a lot of money it can buy you anything in the world this is a fact. If you want something you just have to have the money for it else why do golddiggers exist? money buys love buys sex buys food and buys a life in some cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I never said anything like that.

Who wants to watch adverts? Very few people, so they need to be as unobtrusive as possible or people will complain. And, in respect of impartiality, nobody wants to watch infomercials apart from weirdos.
    No you did not but that offhand comment makes him a "shill" don't it. I have a Roccat mouse and keyboard no advert compelled me to buy it i just got it because it fits my desk and looks. But acorrding to the internets rules a streamer who has ROCCAT on his shirt compelled me to buy it. Its crazy to think like that and thats what i am having a hard time understanding.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are different kinds of "Selling out". When you talk about Notch, him "Selling out" was him selling the rights to a product that he owned (Minecraft/Mojang) to a massive company (Microsoft) after the product became popular. It was only viewed as "Selling out" by people who don't understand how business works.

The other kind of "Selling out" is the problem. The other kind of "Selling out" is based on someone getting paid by a company directly to advertise their product. It is often (almost always) accompanied by a contract in which there may or may not be a clause in it that dictates what a person can or cannot say about the product. So you as a viewer are never actually able to know if someone's opinion of a product are genuine, or fabricated. They only legally have to tell you that it is a product endorsement deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you did not...
    Then why accuse me of saying it?

...but that offhand comment makes him a "shill" don't it. I have a Roccat mouse and keyboard no advert compelled me to buy it i just got it because it fits my desk and looks. But acorrding to the internets rules a streamer who has ROCCAT on his shirt compelled me to buy it.
    It is not an offhand comment if they are being paid to endorse a product.

Its crazy to think like that and thats what i am having a hard time understanding.
    People have given you the reasons why selling out is often seen negatively, they are not difficult to understand.

It... just.... is. Also, you can't trust them if that's their opinion or not if they are pimping some merchant. At least, my whores will suck your dick good. Guaranteed.

Then why accuse me of saying it?

It is not an offhand comment if they are being paid to endorse a product.

People have given you the reasons why selling out is often seen negatively, they are not difficult to understand.
    Because you said my coke example was not vaild which it is, what is wrong with being paid to endorse something if it has no effect on if you buy a product? if just seeing a guy with razor plasted on him is "selling out" why iis half the world not covered in advertising tattoos?
    I understand the "Issue" with people being paid to say nice things now. Its because:
    1: people are mad they make more money than them
    2: appararntly free will does not exist and people are forced to buy products based on what some asshole on cam says
    3 : people are idiots

"Don't you hate pants?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you said my coke example was not vaild which it is, what is wrong with being paid to endorse something if it has no effect on if you buy a product? if just seeing a guy with razor plasted on him is "selling out" why iis half the world not covered in advertising tattoos?
    I understand the "Issue" with people being paid to say nice things now. Its because:
    It is not on whether it affects you buying the product, it is about the quality of programme. This is not a difficult concept to grasp...you keep failing to grasp it.

1: people are mad they make more money than them
    Conjecture, they may just dislike how the programme has changed.

2: appararntly free will does not exist and people are forced to buy products based on what some asshole on cam says
    Nobody said anything like this, it is a retarded strawman.

3 : people are idiots
    You are not wrong there.

Because then we end up with every Metallica album after ....And Justice For All, that's why.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

It is not on whether it affects you buying the product, it is about the quality of programme. This is not a difficult concept to grasp...you keep failing to grasp it.

Conjecture, they may just dislike how the programme has changed.

Nobody said anything like this, it is a retarded strawman.

You are not wrong there.
    Its not conjecture when it is true man human nature and all that.

Staying with the swifty example(better full disclose and all that i persoanly don't like him else i am a shill) what drop in quaity can be mesured? he does not kill someone in PVP because he has to say a nice thing about his new razor desk or shirt? or is it the fact that he has the shirt on or the new desk in the first place?

If someone drops in quaity how can you mesure that? and can you link it to their shilling of a product?

15+ Year Old Account
    With a lot of money it can buy you anything in the world this is a fact. If you want something you just have to have the money for it else why do golddiggers exist? money buys love buys sex buys food and buys a life in some cases.
    Robin Williams and Kurt Cobain had all the money in the world but in the end that didn't buy them enough love and happiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not conjecture when it is true man human nature and all that.
    Lots of people have been successful and not been accused of selling out, so this is a nonsense.

Staying with the swifty example(better full disclose and all that i persoanly don't like him else i am a shill) what drop in quaity can be mesured? he does not kill someone in PVP because he has to say a nice thing about his new razor desk or shirt? or is it the fact that he has the shirt on or the new desk in the first place?

If someone drops in quaity how can you mesure that? and can you link it to their shilling of a product?
    I said at the beginning I have no idea who Swifty is, you asked about why selling out is often seen negatively and people gave you valid reasons about drops in quality, impartiality, etc.

I hear that combination of words a lot on the internet, it discribes bands,brands,streamers,game devs etc But why is such a bad thing?

I hear people bitch and moan all the time about how say for instance swifty selling out to razor or notch selling out minecraft. Is it not a life goal to get money? I hear bands get acosted for selling out to big record lables saying "its not about the music anymore man" but to me it was never about the music in the first place thats why they charge you for going to see them singing. Even that hippy Kirt Cobain was not above charging you to hear him sing and he supposedly shot himself for his music going "mainstream".

Bact to streamers for example swifty may go on cam with razor shit all over him but he don't force you to buy a Naga everytime his stream goes on.
    Not sure if someone said it, maybe something close, but selling, despite what most people think it means, means that you cant do what made you, well you anymore.

What that means is, if you got famous by doing what the fans wanted or usually its what you cared deeply about, and you put your heart and soul into something this, what ever it is, (ex music) IS YOU!
    Now when you "sell out" they may not like you to do this anymore, maybe they want you to change how you do things and you, what ever it is, is no longer you.
    This is how your favorite movies, TV shows, games, music and so on get ruined or ruin childhood memories.

Money is the key yes, but you can make money and not sellout.
    Afraid the fame would force them to sellout, this is basically why rock stars use to shoot themselves.

Edit: Also EVERYONE is screaming "sellout" cuz they are children who like to troll, and flex their e-peens on the interwebz. KEYBOARD WARRIOR HOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited by VTerpsichore; 2016-07-14 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    Robin Williams and Kurt Cobain had all the money in the world but in the end that didn't buy them enough love and happiness.
    2 examples a comic stand up actor and a depresed bipolar drug addicted rockstar. Sorry that does not prove anything else the 1% would have killed themselves by now. The 1%(gods above i sound like a hippy) have more money than god if your example was the norm we would have no billionares in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is, the quality due to selling out often drops: youtubers and such leave their principles and ideals behind for the sake of easier monetary gain. A good example is Ed Bassmaster's channel: what used to be a great collection of pranks and stunts, is now a boring series of random rambling, because he is focusing his attention on a TV series now, and that series seems to have failed miserably.

It is one thing to organize one's channel in a way that lets them earn the highest amount, while still keeping the content untouched - and another completely to abandon the ideas of the channel that made it so popular in money pursuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.